View Full Version : Acrobat Reader wiggin' out!

Robb Bates
06-20-2005, 06:05 PM
Did a hard reset X50v.
Installed Acrobat Reader 2.0.
Tested it. Works.
Installed ForceHiRes utility.
Setup Acrobat Reader 2.0 for HiRes.
Tested it. Works in Hires.
Installed the rest of my programs.
Acrobat now freaks out.

When I run Acrobat from start menu, it runs and goes to the Open File dialog but it does not display any files.

When I tap on a PDF file in Resco Explorer, Acrobat runs, but then is LoRes and the menus are empty and the tabs up at the top are blank.

I un-HiResed it and that didn't help.

Any ideas?

Robb Bates

surur
06-20-2005, 06:36 PM
Re-install acrobat? Clearly something you installed changed some settings or overwrote something.

Surur

Robb Bates
06-20-2005, 06:48 PM
Uninstalled. Reinstalled. No change.

Doing a hard reset again. I'm going to NOT use ForceHiRes this time.

Robb

Sven Johannsen
06-20-2005, 07:05 PM
When I run Acrobat from start menu, it runs and goes to the Open File dialog but it does not display any files.

No files, or folders, etc? The file dialog is up but no window or dropdown is populated?

You are not alone then. I have the same issue with Acrobat. Seems to have started after the last X50v ROM update. I hadn't hard reset to see if it worked by itself, but you seem to have covered that. I don't run any VGA hacks.

Do you have a lot of stuff installed? Did it used to work? Or is this your first go with Acro reader? Mine used to work. I can't think of anything I have new, over what I had when it did work. I could be wrong though, as I don't use Acrobat that much, preferring Repligo.

I hate to think about starting over and doing Acro first and checking after each program install. I hard reset here recently and finally got the Axim to work through my Smarphone for internet access., and all the other BT stuff as well. Hate to break it.

Sven Johannsen
06-20-2005, 07:09 PM
P.S. to Surer. I actually had everything running fine and installed Acrobat dead last. Hadn't re-installed it after my last rebuild because of the problems I'd been having with it. Thought I'd give it a shot this past weekend and got that problem first thing.

Robb Bates
06-20-2005, 07:20 PM
Well, seeing as how I ues Acrobat A LOT. I'm doing just that. Acrobat first, then checking it after every program.

I'll post back if I find out anything.

Robb

Robb Bates
06-20-2005, 10:38 PM
Sven, do you have any of these programs installed?

.Net CF SP3
acrobat reader 2
Beta player
bible reader
calc98
cash organizer
codewallet pro
easysms
Force Hires
forward pass
fpse
Full screen keyboard
gamebox classics
gamebox solitaire
holy rosary
hp mobile printing
macromedia
Magic button
mapopolis
Notepad
ozbtwifi
pencil box
phm keys
phm toys
pocket weather
pocketdos
pockethtml.net
Pocketnester
real one
resco explorer
resco kbpro
tget
ubook
voice command
voshopping list
x50Mix
odyssey hack
ozvga
gapi
ocClient hack

I started installing programs one by one and lost the text when I installed SBSH Pocket Weather. Then I did a hard reset and installed just Acrobat and PocketWeather and it didn't happen? I suspect it might have something to do with the PocketWeather installation when you have an optioin to delete other language resources. RescoKeyboard installs other language mappings and Bible reader uses different language fonts. Any correlation there???

Still looking.

Robb

Sven Johannsen
06-21-2005, 02:46 AM
I got

acrobat reader 2
Beta player
macromedia
mapopolis
pocket weather
resco explorer
voice command

out of your list, and tons more you don't list of course

The ones that are recent are Beta Player and Voice Command. Either I could live without. So I just dumped them both. Then reloaded Acrobat (it wasn't installed) and nope..same problem. You'ld think if it was installed last, it would overwrite other settings. For me, off it comes again. Hope you find something. I can get by with Clearvue, though it certainly doesn't hold a candle to Adobe's reader. Thing is it used to work. Didn't it?

Robb Bates
06-21-2005, 08:30 PM
Still can't figure it out. I was almost sure it was Pocket Weather, but the tests just can't confirm it.

As much as Acrobat serves my needs, I'm more than willing to switch to a different PDF viewer. What other PDF viewers are out there?

I DON'T want a converter program like Repligo or the like. I want something that can view PDFs natively. Any ideas?

Robb

Sven Johannsen
06-21-2005, 08:50 PM
The only other one I know of is ClearVue from Westtek http://www.westtek.com/pocketpc/. It doesn't hold a candle to Adobe, but it does work. Guess the biggest drawback is no reflow. It works like Adobe used to, a picture of the page that you can scroll around and zoom in and out. There is a trial. Their suite is pretty good for some other stuff. If you get Word or Excel, or Powerpoint in e-mail, you can read them, without Pocket W and E stripping stuff. There isn't any other option to read native Powerpoints AFAIK.

Do you suppose it is just the number of things loaded? Specifically resident things like Caligrapher, Voice Command, Today page stuff. I know I had a heck of a time getting Calligrapher and Voice Command to run right together, and others have commented on running out of driver space for BT when they have a lot of today enhancements but still lots of memory.

My problem with VC and Calligrapher is that I couldn't select Caligrapher in the SIP menu if I let them both start at a reset. If I took VC out of the startup and just ran it from programs after Calligrapher installed at a reset it works fine.

David
06-22-2005, 03:07 PM
Adobe Reader is incredibly slow, renders documents poorly. Why bother?

PDF is used all the time in health care to publish guidelines, etc. But Adobe's product make the docs nearly useless on a PDA due to speed and formatting problems. Repligo from Cerience is the solution that I have found, and is one of the few programs that has exceeded my expectations.

For an excellent review of the program and comparison with Adobe Reader (not just for healthcare folks):

http://www.handheldsfordoctors.com/learn/ebooks/repligo.htm

Demo the program. You can convert almost any document, and it is far faster and more readable than Adobe's own reader for pdf documents created by Acrobat. The converter for your computer isn't free but is reasonable at around $30 USD. The reader for the handheld IS free. You can distribute documents to others who use the reader. All they have to do is download the free reader.

Hope this helps your pdf headache.

If you use PDF regularly, it's a must have in my opinion. [/url]

yankeejeep
06-22-2005, 05:40 PM
Unfortunately for those of us who receive PDF files as email attachments when away from the office, RepliGo is not an on-device solution. It requires use of a desktop system for a conversion. That's why I need to stick with a viewer app on my PPC. I don't have the luxury of waiting to return to the office to view PDF files that are emailed to me and I receive from too many sources to ask them all to get RepliGo so they can convert before they email.

Aside from somewhat slow document load speeds, Acrobat 2 works well on my e805 running SE and works on all PDF files I have received so far. If I want the doc displayed in its original form, I simply turn off reflow. The ClearVue viewer is also a good option with a smaller memory footprint than Acrobat, but it does have issues with about 10% of the files I have received. I'm not sure what the common denominator is but it has not been a significant number and most open without a problem.

David
06-22-2005, 10:27 PM
As a healthcare professional needing quick access to many references from many sources, Repligo provided the solution for my needs. Adobe Reader was basically useless due to speed, conversion reliability, and limitations to PDF. Repligo converts just about any type of doc for distribution--pdf, word, excel, database, etc.

You're certainly right about the situation you describe.