View Full Version : Downloading help needed!!

Ret
06-19-2005, 01:06 AM
Hi there,

I'm new to the site and a pocket PC newbie as well. I've been having trouble downloading different things onto my pocket PC. I'm a new doctor and would like to download medical-related items such as a PDR (Physicians Desk Reference - drug list), anatomy books/pictures, formulas, etc. but don't know how to do so. I've tried to download a free version of the PDR from PDR.net several times but was unable to do so. The user guide/manual doesn't seem to help either unless I'm looking in the wrong place. I'm starting to get frustrated as even some computer tech people I've talked to have no idea what to do. I have an iPAQ pocket PC h5555 series. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Mike :?

Darius Wey
06-19-2005, 02:40 AM
Welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts, Ret.

I haven't tried mobilePDR so I can't say what the exact problem is. However, the first step appears to be creating an account with PDR.net, which I can safely assume you've done. It also seems as though they do have separate Palm and Pocket PC compatible versions. Because you have an iPAQ, you will want the Pocket PC version (if they list separate Pocket PC versions, ensure you download the ARM-compatible release). Usually, software developers will release their products as an EXE (which runs on your desktop and is designed to install through ActiveSync) or as a CAB (which is a local file which can be executed on your mobile device). If it is an EXE, ensure that your Pocket PC is connected to your PC via ActiveSync, then proceed to double-click the EXE from the PC, and install the relevant applications. Assuming nothing goes wrong, you should be prompted to install the applications through ActiveSync's Add/Remove Programs module. Once that's done, follow the instructions on your Pocket PC (if any) to complete the installation. Note that not all applications can be installed on a memory card, so it is advisable to localise installation to your main memory. Now, if PDR.net releases their application as a CAB, simply download it and copy it to a folder on your mobile device. Open up File Explorer (or a similar file browsing utility) and tap on the CAB to install it.

As for other medical resources, most are not free. However, some decent applications worth trying are Harrison's, Epocrates, C-Tools, and so on. Skyscape also has a decent collection, so you might want to pay them a visit.