View Full Version : Home Router Troubles

JPD6825
06-17-2005, 01:23 AM
My biggest obstacle to a happy wireless life seems to be some bad luck with routers. My first router just had lousy coverage but worked fine for my 2 PCs which I connected to it by ethernet cable; file sharing and printer sharing worked. I bought a replacement router which now has much better wireless coverage but it just has me stumped on getting the PC network right. It has these symptoms:
§ the 2 PCs just do not see each other -- neither can be ping-ed from the
other PC
§ printer sharing and file sharing obviously don't work because of that --
this is a show-stopper
§ the new router re-assigns IP addresses to the PCs
§ both PCs and my PPC can see the internet just fine.

I thought all I had to do was plunk the new router in, define SSID, set WEP key and go -- That IS all that was needed to get to the internet.

I couldn't see anything in the router setup that would cause this problem.
I plunked the old router back in - everything was back to normal.
I put the new router back in - re-ran Network setup -- no progress.
Put the old router back in -- works fine.

I Chatted with Linksys Tech support - no help - they said the PCs must be configured wrong - I don't think so since the other router works.

So now I'm still living with the old one - and effectively no wireless for my PPC.

Anybody know what I need to do to get out of this?

Jason Dunn
06-17-2005, 01:38 AM
Let's start with the basics: what OS is each computer running? Did you make sure that they've both got the same workgroup name? You're sure there are no bad cables in the mix?

JPD6825
06-17-2005, 03:58 AM
Jason,
Great to hear from you.
PC#1 is running Windows XP Pro w/ SP2. PC#2 is running Windows XP Home w/ SP2.

They have the same workgroup name : that's why everything was working in the first place. The cables seem to be fine; they work fine, with no interruptions, for internet access with both routers. Just talking about wired connections: Plug in router #1 - everything is great including internet access, file sharing and printer sharing. Plug in router #2 - file sharing and printer sharing disappear. Once the PCs have connected successfully with router #1, after re-installing router #2 the 'other' PC appears under My Network Places\Windows Network\WorkgroupName - but if you double click it you get PCXXXX is not accessible, you may not have privileges...

Jason Dunn
06-17-2005, 04:40 AM
Is it possible that router #2 is defective? It's utterly bizarre that when router #1 is connected everything works (which means your software is configured correctly) but with #2 it fails. Can you borrow another router and test?

Steven Cedrone
06-17-2005, 11:54 AM
I would also try to reset the router to factory defaults and start over. I tend to agree with Jason though, it sounds like you may have a bad router.

JPD6825
06-19-2005, 07:15 AM
Resolution ! (Just in case you take a look at this again - or get a notice of this reply.)

Duh! Once again a problem found to lie simply BKAC - Between Keyboard and Chair. (That's where I sit) :oops:

I had made sure that Windows Firewall was turned off. However I forgot to pay attention to the fact that there was another software firewall installed - Norton.

If you install a new router with a new Gateway IP -- you MUST re-run the software firewall set-up or manually go in and make sure that the IP addresses generated by the new router are "trusted". That's all.

Nothing more complicated than that.

Thanks guys for listening.

I'm on the air now. Now to move on to configuring Bluetooth - just today I received a Bluetooth adapter as a gift. :D

Janak Parekh
06-19-2005, 04:19 PM
I had made sure that Windows Firewall was turned off. However I forgot to pay attention to the fact that there was another software firewall installed - Norton.
Right, I didn't see this thread before, but I was going to suggest that if you have two devices that can ping the default gateway but not each other, it strongly implies a software problem, as it's pretty obvious that the switch itself is working. Personally, this is why I run no other firewalls other than Windows Firewall -- but to each their own. ;)

I'm on the air now. Now to move on to configuring Bluetooth - just today I received a Bluetooth adapter as a gift. :D
Uh-oh. :P

--janak

cal_j
08-20-2005, 01:15 AM
Sp2 is horrible about the firewall. I spent 45minutes on the phone with Dell for them to tell me to un-install McAfe firewall.

Also same trouble at work. I don't recieve email till 10 minutes after it's sent. I shut that off and email instantly again!!!