View Full Version : WM5 and Small Business Server 2003

VanHlebar
06-14-2005, 04:41 PM
Ok,

I am getting ready to upgrade my server in the office and with WM5 coming out I have read an number of posts relating the new possibility of push email with Exchange Server.

Does anyone have an idea if this push email would be possible with the Small Business Server 2003 in the future? This would be ideal for me, but I just can't afford Exchange for such a small office.

Thanks,
-Eric

tvalentin
06-14-2005, 05:09 PM
We currently run Small Business Server 2003 and get great use over the remote synchronisation provided by exchange.

The 'push' e-mail functionality will be added in exchange 2003 service pack 2. Which 'should' install on SBS 2003 with no problems (nothing has been said to the contrary).

Your concerns over cost are understandable. But SBS 2003 can be obtained very cheaply. Especially when purchasing new hardware.

Let me know if you'd like more info on SBS

Tom

Soyale
06-18-2005, 09:39 PM
Don't forget Exchange 2003 supports a type of push eMail without needing Service Pack 2. It uses SMS to alert the device of new mail then dials up to pull the new eMail down. I've been using it happily for two years. Some people criticize the cost of using SMS.

tvalentin
06-19-2005, 12:14 PM
That's true Soyale. I had forgotten to mention that.

However not all operators support the SMS method of AUTD (always up to date). For instance no mobile operator in the UK support this funtion.

So in some areas we may have to wait uptill Exchange SP2.

Tom