View Full Version : Advice on a new PDA

Andrew
06-14-2005, 03:23 PM
Hi, I realise that there are lots of these types of threads, but Id be grateful if you could just bear with me here.

Ive been a long time owner of pocket PC's starting with the 3630, then going on to a 3660, 3870, 5450. The 5450 my current ppc, unfortunately belongs to my office, and I will be leaving my job shortly (in around 2 months) and could be for the first time in a few years, without a PPC.

Unfortunately Ive had a long absence for the PPC world, and am playing catch up still, so I thought Id ask for the advice of my peers here on what are the "best" models currently available.

I mainly use my current PPC for Ewallet, Conversions in Hand, Pocket Informant, Notes, Document reading, Ebooks (and until the security on my AP prevented it working, wireless access). By the above you can read it as bank account and password details, conversions, calendar, contacts, tasks and reminders, notes, and good storage. I dont really play games on it, though I am partial to jawbreaker, chess and snails now and then :)

What Id like from a new ppc, is decent battery life, decent amount of inbuilt memory, good screen, wireless, BT, fairly robust and reasonably priced.

I was originally going to go for an Axim 50v, but at the moment it costs twice what some of the others cost 3715 for example, and as my needs are simple, Im wondering if the extra "power" is worth while. The thing that keeps singing to me from my old "upgrade at any cost " days though is that the 50v will have the new version of the OS.

So in short, Im confused and looking for any suggestions, recommendations and comments, and would appreciate anything anyone has to say, to help me make a decision.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

emuelle1
06-14-2005, 03:32 PM
I'm perfectly happy right now with my X30, which does just about all of what you mentioned. It has Wi-fi and bluetooth, I run PR, keep notes and documents, and so on. There won't be a ROM upgrade to WM2005, which could be a drawback, but for what you need it for it's a darn good Pocket PC. The only thing it's missing that you mentioned is battery life, but you can buy an extra battery or even a larger battery. Having switched to this model from a 3765 with expansion sleeve, I was afraid that the battery life would be limited, but I haven't had a problem with it yet.

Andrew
06-14-2005, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the fast response! :) HOw do you find it in terms of size, weight, portability etc?

Andrew