View Full Version : What is the most reliable e-mail solution for the Pocket PC?

ToddJ
06-13-2005, 06:51 AM
I have tried using Inbox , syncing it via wi-fi with my Yahoo pop-mail account, but whenever I delete messages on my Pocket PC, it doesn't seem to delete them off the my yahoo account. Sometimes it will, but most of the time it won't. What is a good e-mail program that will do this much more reliablly over wi-fi?

ToddJ
06-16-2005, 02:34 PM
Does't anyone else have this problem?

applejosh
06-16-2005, 03:28 PM
To be honest, I never have my PPC delete any of my POP account emails. I let my home PC do that (and I don't even do it then for Yahoo as I like to keep copies of some stuff on there).

That said, other email programs include WebIS Mail (www.webis.net) and Profimail (it's on Handango, I think). I personally use WebIS mail. It's OK, though a little slow in initially loading. Also doesn't do well if you install it on anything other than RAM. I got it free in one of those Handango giveaways end of last year/beginning of this year. Haven't tried Profimail.

ChristopherTD
06-16-2005, 03:33 PM
I use Inbox for POP mail and it reliably deletes mail from the server, but only after you have used the "Empty Deleted Items Folder" option *and* then checked for new mail again.

Follow that sequence and you will find that it behaves reliably.

ToddJ
06-16-2005, 03:35 PM
that does work sometimes for me, but what I like about inbox is that i use it for times when I don't have internet access. so, when I do and try to sync the email, they don't delete them off of my yahoo account. it is really frustrating....

ToddJ
02-02-2006, 03:18 PM
I have been trying to use the Webis Mail lately, but it is really bad. Plus, there customer support is non-existant. Has anyone found any other email programs that work well on an SD card?

Janak Parekh
02-02-2006, 04:51 PM
I'm surprised you're having so much trouble with WebIS Mail, although I haven't tried it myself in quite some time. In any case, the one other POP client that's a little old at this point, but serviceable for some, is nPOP (http://www.nakka.com/soft/npop/index_eng.html).

As to the most "reliable email solution", that's almost certainly Exchange. The Pocket PC is very efficient and fast with Exchange Activesync, and supports email, calendar, contacts, and (with WM5) task sync over-the-air. It also compresses, making for small downloads. You can set this up by a hosted Exchange solution (http://www.google.com/search?q=hosted+exchange&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official), but it isn't always cheap. You might want to search on the boards as to which providers people have had good experience with.

--janak

Menneisyys
02-02-2006, 05:43 PM
I have tried using Inbox , syncing it via wi-fi with my Yahoo pop-mail account, but whenever I delete messages on my Pocket PC, it doesn't seem to delete them off the my yahoo account. Sometimes it will, but most of the time it won't. What is a good e-mail program that will do this much more reliablly over wi-fi?

Where did you delete them from? If Tools/Options/Storage/Empty deleted items is left at the default, "Manually" setting, the server only deletes the given mail when you delete it from the "Deleted items" folder on the Pocket PC, not only from "Inbox". This is why your Messaging client doesn't delete mail from the POP3 server.

You may also want to read http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&p=452&more=1 on this question (see the second bullet in the "Solutions" section).

Paul Martin
02-02-2006, 08:49 PM
Plus, there customer support is non-existant.

WebIS seems to be very responsive. Have you tried their forums? They do post new betas of Mail there as well that may work better for you. Give it a shot if you haven't already.

alex_kac
02-02-2006, 09:38 PM
I have been trying to use the Webis Mail lately, but it is really bad. Plus, there customer support is non-existant. Has anyone found any other email programs that work well on an SD card?

Hi Todd. The biggest failing with Mail right now is that its taken a year to get a new version out. Mail 2.11 is a pretty good app in general, but it does have some failings. We've been working on a pretty major release with about 85 new features and over 380 bug fixes for the past year. Because its a work in progress its only "supported" on the beta forums on our site.

Mail 2.2 (renamed to FlexMail 2006, btw and will be a free upgrade) is doing very very well. Its still in beta which does mean we're taking bug reports and working on them as they get reported.

Tony Rylow
02-03-2006, 03:17 PM
I've been using 4smartphone.net for a couple weeks now. I can sync my smartphone, pocket pc, and desktop pc. For the 6.99/month (about that) it is well worth it. I used to run an exchange server out of my house, but this is much better. Setup is a breeze. You can have it check a pop3 box, if you have your own domain set up your mx records to it, or have all your accounts forward to the exchange email (quickest of the 3).

ToddJ
02-04-2006, 07:44 PM
how about for saving to an SD card? i run out of room right away on my pocket pc's memory...

ricoks
03-01-2006, 06:00 AM
One question i have with mail, is that if you use exchange ( i too use a hossted service), what is the best mail program. will webis mail work with it. I'm looking for the most comprehensive program to use for mail, AND calendar.
BTW, i use pocket informant for calendar, so i would like it ALL to sync with my exchange acct!?!

Thanks

Janak Parekh
03-02-2006, 02:12 AM
One question i have with mail, is that if you use exchange ( i too use a hossted service), what is the best mail program. will webis mail work with it. I'm looking for the most comprehensive program to use for mail, AND calendar.
I think WebIS Mail supports the Outlook E-Mail folder set, which is what Server Activesync manipulates, but I haven't used it in a long time.

BTW, i use pocket informant for calendar, so i would like it ALL to sync with my exchange acct!?!
Pocket Informant manipulates the standard Pocket Outlook databases, so any changes in PI should sync through Server ActiveSync without any additional software... except for Notes, which are not integrated with the Pocket Outlook Notes (although there may be an export, I haven't used the feature in so long I can't remember).

--janak

Menneisyys
03-03-2006, 08:25 PM
how about for saving to an SD card? i run out of room right away on my pocket pc's memory...

With alternative mailers, you can keep everything off the main RAM - except for ActiveSync mail bodies.