View Full Version : Maximising Today Screen real-estate

biglouis
06-12-2005, 01:03 PM
I've loaded up Pocket Breeze and Pocket Weather from SBSH software and I really like these apps.

However, for the first time I am running out of screen real-estate.

The two most inefficient items I have on my Today screen are the Time/Date bar and the Messages bar.

Can anyone recommend any additional apps that might move the date or the pending messages to either the start bar at the top of the screen or the systray bar at the bottom?

TIA for any advice or opinions

LouisB

Darius Wey
06-12-2005, 01:16 PM
Can anyone recommend any additional apps that might move the date or the pending messages to either the start bar at the top of the screen or the systray bar at the bottom?

Tweaks2K2 .NET is a registry hack program which will do all sorts of things and one of its functions is to transform the time display in the taskbar to a time and date display. Thatmay suit you well. :)

With regards to messages, PocketBreeze actually supports the listing of mail accounts in Outlook Mobile (Settings > Calendar Settings > Mail > Include mail section on Calendar tab).

biglouis
06-12-2005, 03:05 PM
Darius

Thanks that worked really well.

Are there any recommendations for programs that allow you to put program launch icons into the systray? I tried iLauncher but I don't want to remove the SPB launcher and iLauncher won't allow you to use the systray feature on its own.

Regards

Louis

Darius Wey
06-12-2005, 03:09 PM
The PHM TrayLaunch PowerToy (http://www.phm.lu/Products/PocketPC/PowerToys/#TrayLnch) is probably what you're after. :)

biglouis
06-12-2005, 06:17 PM
The PHM TrayLaunch PowerToy (http://www.phm.lu/Products/PocketPC/PowerToys/#TrayLnch) is probably what you're after. :)

Darius, thanks again for an excellent steer but I have to say I am having real trouble understanding the format for file paths to the applications I want to use.

Is there any quick/simple way to establish the exact file path and copy and paste it into the tweak?

TIA

LouisB

Darius Wey
06-12-2005, 06:34 PM
Is there any quick/simple way to establish the exact file path and copy and paste it into the tweak?

Because you're using Spb Pocket Plus, you should have the File Explorer enhancements activated, so open up File Explorer, navigate to \Windows\Start Menu or \Windows\Start Menu\Programs and you'll find a list of shortcuts for your installed programs. Tap and hold on a shortcut of your choice and select Properties. Next you'll see a path name which you can select and press Ctrl+C on your onscreen keyboard. Featured above that is the name of the shortcut. Make a mental note of it and you can add it to the TrayLaunch field later. So for example, if I wanted the full path for Microsoft Reader, in my case, I'd type \Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Reader.lnk - (note that I save the trouble of writing it all out by pasting the previously-copied content by tapping Ctrl+V on the onscreen keyboard and then adding the shortcut name at the end).

biglouis
06-12-2005, 08:52 PM
Darius

Thanks for an excellent explanation. I'm a bit concerned with this tweaks program. It removed the system place sys tray icon for the BT settings and it also seemed to be bit flaky, so I've decided not to use it.

Instead, I've realised that I can make much more effective use of the SPB menus which are one touch icons just like the systray icons.

Anyway, you've really helped me out this afternoon, so thanks again.

Perhaps you should run a contest or something for people to submit their Today screens for others to see as a way of reinforcing just how versatile the today screen can be with the right plugins.

Regards

LouisB