View Full Version : Pocket MSN

csterns
06-12-2005, 03:08 AM
I installed and signed up for Pocket MSN Messenger and everytime I try to log on I get this error message "Temporary conditions currently prevent connecting to the Pocket MSN service". Is it something I'm not doing or is it MSN?

Also, is the a Yahoo Messenger for Pocket PC?

Darius Wey
06-12-2005, 03:42 AM
Have you installed the MSN Messenger update? (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/downloads/msnmessenger/pocketpc.mspx) If you already have, you may want to check your network settings and/or firewalls to ensure they allow MSN access.

With regards to Y!, there is, but it's archaic. You'd be better off trying Agile Messenger (http://www.agilemobile.com/agile_messenger.html) which supports multiple IM protocols.

csterns
06-12-2005, 03:48 AM
Yes, I installed the update. How do you check network settings or firewalls on a Pocket PC. Thanks.

Darius Wey
06-12-2005, 04:01 AM
Yes, I installed the update. How do you check network settings or firewalls on a Pocket PC. Thanks.

The firewall settings would be on your router, if that's how you're getting access to the net. I can't give you a walkthrough for what to do on the router since each and every one is different. In most cases, port 1863 is the default, but you shouldn't need to open it. Rather, change the MSN port to one that's already open. With regards to network settings, how are you connected to the net? Through ActiveSync? Direct network connection?

csterns
06-12-2005, 05:41 AM
Whao, what am I missing? I'm trying to use MSN Messenger on the Pocket PC away from any router or other internet connection straight from the Pocket PC. Is there some setting I am missing on my Pocket PC Phone I need to set to allow me to use MSN Messenger on my Pocket PC Phone?

Darius Wey
06-12-2005, 06:47 AM
I'm trying to use MSN Messenger on the Pocket PC away from any router or other internet connection straight from the Pocket PC.

So you're connected via GPRS or the like and you're trying to use MSN Messenger? Or are you trying to sign into your account without an established connection at all?

csterns
06-12-2005, 03:24 PM
Yup, that's exactly it.

Darius Wey
06-12-2005, 03:37 PM
Yup, that's exactly it.

So, which question were you agreeing to? If you meant "that's exactly it" to not having a connection established, that's probably why you cannot gain access to the Messenger service. Instant messaging is net-dependent. :)

csterns
06-12-2005, 03:43 PM
I thought with GPRS I could IM? I'd like IM access when I am on the road, isn't that possible?

Darius Wey
06-12-2005, 03:47 PM
Oh, well if you're connected via GPRS, then that's a different story. That's why I was asking earlier if you were connected via GPRS or the like, or not at all.

In that case, have you tried it again? There could have been a low signal preventing adequate data transmission. Also, just out of interest, which Pocket PC are you trying this with?

csterns
06-12-2005, 03:51 PM
OK, I think I figured out the problem. I thought since I was able to retrieve my emails and surf the internet via GPRS that the settings were in place for me to IM. I think I need to have different connection settings for IM although I don't know why when I can tap the internet connection button on my Pocket PC Phone and it immediately takes me to the net.

I have a Pocket PC Phone - I-Mate PDA2k

Darius Wey
06-12-2005, 04:06 PM
Well, it's hard to pinpoint what the problem is. Since you're connected via GPRS, you shouldn't need to fiddle around with network or firewall settings as you should be able to connect to the Messenger service by default. Do you know if your provider has placed port restrictions?

T-Mobile used to have port restrictions on GPRS which prevented Messenger access as well as access to some secure sites. IIRC, that has since been lifted, but I'm not sure if other mobile providers have restrictions imposed. Since I'm not in the USA, I'm not sure what the current situation is, so you may want to query your provider on this matter.

As a last resort, try a soft-reset.

csterns
06-12-2005, 06:09 PM
Thanks, I plan to visit my provider this AM and will let you know the outcome.