View Full Version : using PocketMechanic on BIS (or defragmenting the BIS)?

ipaq_wannabe
06-09-2005, 05:29 PM
with my usual "install this, test this, uninstall this" - i think that i may have really fragmented my BIS ( <--- this thinking is coming from a very Windows-background)...

do you think that it is advisable to defragment BIS?
for those who have experienced this, is it particularly safe?

thanks and cheers!!!

Sven Johannsen
06-09-2005, 05:44 PM
The philosophy behind de-fragmenting a hard drive is so that the heads don't have to scoot all over the drive to retrieve pieces of a file. That would seem to be undesirable from a mechanical point of view as well as a speed of access point of view.

On Random Access Memory, or ROM, there is no variation in access time no matter where the info is stored, nor any mechanical parts to over exercise getting from place to place.

So theory wise you shouldn't need to, or get any benefit from, defraging RAM or ROM.

If you want the same effect as defragging with less danger (IMHO) just copy all your BIS files (including hidden ones) to a folder on your desktop, erase all the BIS files and copy them back from the desktop. The OS will copy them back one at a time and contiguously. I think that is safer than letting some program play the slide the tile game with all the file fragments.

ipaq_wannabe
06-09-2005, 11:57 PM
The philosophy behind de-fragmenting a hard drive is so that the heads don't have to scoot all over the drive to retrieve pieces of a file. That would seem to be undesirable from a mechanical point of view as well as a speed of access point of view.

On Random Access Memory, or ROM, there is no variation in access time no matter where the info is stored, nor any mechanical parts to over exercise getting from place to place.

So theory wise you shouldn't need to, or get any benefit from, defraging RAM or ROM.

If you want the same effect as defragging with less danger (IMHO) just copy all your BIS files (including hidden ones) to a folder on your desktop, erase all the BIS files and copy them back from the desktop. The OS will copy them back one at a time and contiguously. I think that is safer than letting some program play the slide the tile game with all the file fragments.

ow!! i didnt see it in that way...

okay, i guess ill just copy everything to my 1GB CF, and then copy them back...

thanks!

PS: nice way of saying defragging as slide the tile game

Menneisyys
02-08-2006, 01:18 PM
You may also want to read my latest tutorial on defragmenting issues at http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&p=516&more=1