View Full Version : anyone here subscribe to Pocket MSN?

inteller
06-08-2005, 04:21 AM
I noticed that the Pocket MSN is now available. I was reading through what they give you and the only thing I could see on there that I couldn't already do was get Hotmail into my Messaging Inbox as opposed to having to use the MSN Mobile site.

Is anyone using this? I dont want to plunk down $20 just to discover that I already can do this stuff.

Jason Dunn
06-08-2005, 01:41 PM
I seem to recall a $5 plugin from Handango that will do the same thing for your email account...

Yeah, here we go, looks like there are a few:

http://www.handango.com/ampp/store/PlatformSearch.jsp?siteId=311&jid=F88F528FD2795XF879C9D1511F8766F1&platformId=2&txtSearch=hotmail&optionId=1_2_2

Darius Wey
06-08-2005, 02:26 PM
Are you planning on upgrading to Windows Mobile 5.0? The new platform has the Pocket MSN client built-in, so if you can wait for that, I'd wait for it. In terms of enhancements, you'll get quick access to Hotmail (plus integration with Outlook Mobile), Messenger, Alerts, and online content. The MSN services are all integrated in the client, so if you sign into one service, you're signed into all of them (thanks to your Passport, of course).

If you think the concept is pointless however, and all you want is Hotmail-Outlook integration, Jason's link is a great place to start. :)

Jason Dunn
06-08-2005, 02:40 PM
Are you planning on upgrading to Windows Mobile 5.0? The new platform has the Pocket MSN client built-in...

Hmm - it's built-in, but I'm 99% sure that you still have to pay the yearly fee.

Darius Wey
06-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Are you planning on upgrading to Windows Mobile 5.0? The new platform has the Pocket MSN client built-in...

Hmm - it's built-in, but I'm 99% sure that you still have to pay the yearly fee.

IIRC, it got changed to a one-time fee ($19.95) which covers the client and the service. I actually gave it a test run in WM5 and was not prompted to pay anything. I could be wrong though.

Jason Dunn
06-08-2005, 02:56 PM
IIRC, it got changed to a one-time fee ($19.95) which covers the client and the service.

A one time fee? That doesn't seem like the MSN way. ;-)

Darius Wey
06-08-2005, 03:01 PM
A one time fee? That doesn't seem like the MSN way. ;-)

I know. That's why I'm checking this page (http://mobile.msn.com/ac.aspx?cid=pmsn_market) to ensure there isn't some ultra-fine print invisible to the human eye. :lol:

Jason Dunn
06-08-2005, 03:03 PM
Aha! Right you are...

inteller
06-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Are you planning on upgrading to Windows Mobile 5.0? The new platform has the Pocket MSN client built-in, so if you can wait for that, I'd wait for it. In terms of enhancements, you'll get quick access to Hotmail (plus integration with Outlook Mobile), Messenger, Alerts, and online content. The MSN services are all integrated in the client, so if you sign into one service, you're signed into all of them (thanks to your Passport, of course).

If you think the concept is pointless however, and all you want is Hotmail-Outlook integration, Jason's link is a great place to start. :)

well a couple of things I want to point out is 1. Pocket MSN CLAIMS to work on WM2003 and better devices. my device isnt nor will ever be WM2005.

I already have messenger working on my PDA. I'm not sure what you mean by the MSN client, but I can sign into MSN mobile and everything is signed in after that.

I have this thing called Pocket MSN in my programs folder, but I dont know if it is a thing that just needs to be activated, or if I need to install some additional software.

Darius Wey
06-08-2005, 04:11 PM
well a couple of things I want to point out is 1. Pocket MSN CLAIMS to work on WM2003 and better devices. my device isnt nor will ever be WM2005.

Yes, Pocket MSN will work on your WM2003 device. What I was mentioning earlier was it being freely included in WM5. However, since your device is not going to be supported with the new platform, this is all a moot point.

I already have messenger working on my PDA. I'm not sure what you mean by the MSN client, but I can sign into MSN mobile and everything is signed in after that.

The Pocket MSN client is actually a separate program running on your Pocket PC. Here's an example screenshot:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/media/users/13148/PocketMSN.jpg

As you can see, Pocket MSN offers program-based MSN service integration as opposed to web-based integration (which is what you're currently using). You can leave Pocket MSN as a service running in the background (thus having mail constantly delivered to an Outlook-linked Hotmail account, having MSN alerts being delivered, plus having the ability to IM on-the-go, all in one readily accessible interface). You can't achieve that level of simplistic integration with the default web interface.

I have this thing called Pocket MSN in my programs folder, but I dont know if it is a thing that just needs to be activated, or if I need to install some additional software.

Yeah, that's a little different. That particular Pocket MSN just aggregates a collection of web-based mobile MSN services and puts it together in a webpage. It's different to the Pocket MSN service being discussed here.

inteller
06-09-2005, 07:00 PM
ok, so that program you provided a screenshot of...is that installed on current devices? That looks cool and I'd pay for that. Ideally I hope that is already installed and I just have to activate it like the Microsoft website says.

Darius Wey
06-10-2005, 03:37 AM
ok, so that program you provided a screenshot of...is that installed on current devices? That looks cool and I'd pay for that. Ideally I hope that is already installed and I just have to activate it like the Microsoft website says.

Yes and no. It'll be included in WM5 devices, but not others (which is the category you fall under). So in your case, there's nothing to activate since it's not on your device. You'll have to pay $19.95 for the client (which is what you see in the screenshot) and access to the service.

Reader5
06-10-2005, 03:38 AM
I actually dropped the $ 20 a few weeks ago (wanted to make sure Mr. Gates had enough scratch to get a Supersize meal at McDs!). The best thing it added for me was the ability to download and and read/respond to Hotmail while offline. It's also got a pretty good IM interface - it brings the message up on the screen when it's received if IM is running in the background.

I also like the fact that the icons for access are right on the Today screen.

Now, could I do this in some other ways (shortcuts, other programs, etc.) - yes, probably so. But this is pretty easy interface and was quick to find/install so I could going with the email wihle traveling.

inteller
08-17-2005, 02:44 PM
i was just reviewing this thread cause I was considering Pocket MSN again. Does anyone know if I have to buy it again if I get a new device? I keep seeing "activation" and it makes me think they are going to lock the $20 thing to my device. I am not keen on that as I am buying an access service, not a single application.

Darius Wey
08-17-2005, 03:59 PM
i was just reviewing this thread cause I was considering Pocket MSN again. Does anyone know if I have to buy it again if I get a new device? I keep seeing "activation" and it makes me think they are going to lock the $20 thing to my device. I am not keen on that as I am buying an access service, not a single application.

It's strictly a one-time purchase, so you'll be able to purchase a new device, install Pocket MSN on it, and sign in with your account. As far as I'm aware, the $19.95 fee is linked to your account, not the device. In addition, if your next device includes Windows Mobile 5.0, then Pocket MSN will already be integrated on the device, so all you need to do is sign in and you'll be ready to go. :)

Sven Johannsen
08-18-2005, 02:53 AM
It seems the original purchase is tied to your passport, as are many MS subscription things. I paid for it when it was going to be $20 a year, but that seems to have rolled over to the one time fee. I have hard reset PPCs and just re-installed the download, entered my username and password (passport) and am back up and running. It's on my Smartphone as well, and is pretty nice there.

I too like the Today interface with the hotmail icon that indicates unread e-mails and the indication of background IM. I wish the plugin didn't take up quite so much room, and you could customize it a bit, but it works well to get you quick access to net functions. Makes me long for a Phone Edition though, for easier Internet connectivity, on the bigger screen.