View Full Version : Microsoft Releases Localised Windows Mobile 5.0 Emulator Images for Pocket PC

Darius Wey
06-07-2005, 09:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=eec33ae3-c129-4c25-abaa-18e8e842178f&displaylang=en' target='_blank'>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&displaylang=en</a><br /><br /></div><i>"We're pleased to release localized Emulator Images that enable you to test your applications for Windows Mobile 5.0 software for Pocket PC. These images can be used in conjunction with the Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC Software Development Kit (SDK). The SDK includes an emulator that uses a virtual machine to run the full WM 5.0 Pocket PC independent of your main operating system on the same machine."</i><br /><br />Localised Windows Mobile 5.0 emulator images for Pocket PC are now available for download from Microsoft. Just a reminder that you will need to have your Windows Mobile developer environment up and running before you'll be able to use these. Enjoy!

Ward
06-07-2005, 10:19 AM
It mentions UK images which I can't download - there is no link. Deriving the missing link based on the addresses of the others, didn't work either.

ctitanic
06-07-2005, 12:31 PM
Just a reminder that you will need to have your Windows Mobile developer environment up and running before you'll be able to use these. Enjoy!

Do you mean VS 2005 beta?

Could anyone explain me in plain English what all this means?

ctitanic
06-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Never mind, I found the answers. Yes it needs VS 2005 beta installed.

Darius Wey
06-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Just a reminder that you will need to have your Windows Mobile developer environment up and running before you'll be able to use these. Enjoy!

Sorry ctitanic. In order for these images to work, you will need the Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC SDK, and in order for that to be installed, you will need a copy of VS2005 (preferably the latest beta build, which at this stage is Beta 2). Hopefully, that clears things up for you and anyone else that's interested. :)

Darius Wey
06-07-2005, 12:54 PM
It mentions UK images which I can't download - there is no link. Deriving the missing link based on the addresses of the others, didn't work either.

Hmm... :(

I'm guessing it's not available at this stage, so I suggest checking back later. I'm not sure if it's a deliberate or accidental omission.

ctitanic
06-07-2005, 02:27 PM

Sorry ctitanic. In order for these images to work, you will need the Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC SDK, and in order for that to be installed, you will need a copy of VS2005 (preferably the latest beta build, which at this stage is Beta 2). Hopefully, that clears things up for you and anyone else that's interested. :)

My fault, I got excited thinking that they did something to allow the testing of current applications in WM5 emulator not having VS2005 installed. :evil:

Gex
06-08-2005, 07:26 AM
VS2005= Virtual Server 2005?

:)

I know, i know.... visual studio... ive been working with virtual server so much its the first thing that come to mind.

Pennan
06-08-2005, 10:15 AM
I guess there will be a stand alone emulator available later since there is a "Microsoft Device Emulator 1.0 Community Preview" available here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/windowsmobile/downloads/emulatorpreview/default.aspx

Darius Wey
06-08-2005, 10:34 AM
I guess there will be a stand alone emulator available later since there is a "Microsoft Device Emulator 1.0 Community Preview" available here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/windowsmobile/downloads/emulatorpreview/default.aspx

This is actually a stable build. If you don't mind installing beta software, I suggest you give it a go.

badbob001
06-08-2005, 07:03 PM
You can use the Community Preview Emulator to run these wm5 images, so you don't need to install VS2005 or any SDK. When you run the downloaded image file, it'll complain that you don't have VS2005 installed.

You can extract the contents of the WM2005 emulator images by running:
msiexec /a &lt;name of msi file>

It will prompt you for where to extract the files to.

There should be a subfolder called 0409 with a bunch of .bin files. These are the emulator images.

Then from the command prompt, go to the Device Emulator Preview directory, type

deviceemulator &lt;path_to_extracted_stuff\bin file>

eg:

deviceemulator ".\msi_extract\Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC SDK\Deviceemulation\0409\ppc_usa.bin"

It'll be a black screen for a minute or two.

The SDK also contains skins, but they are usually a waste of screen space, but you should check out their contents to find the keyboard mappings. Check out the deviceemulator commandline parameters for other settings you can use.

I use the following to run WM5 PocketPC in QVGA in a batch file:

start "WM5_PPC_QVGA" deviceemulator ppc_usa.bin /video 240x320x16 /flash flashfile.dat /s statefile.dat /sharedfolder .\fake_storagecard\ /memsize 256 /vmname WM5_PPC_QVGA /u0 com1