View Full Version : hx4700 hangs regularly when not in use

MadBison
06-04-2005, 06:50 AM
Hello

For weeks now, I have been putting up with the hx4700 hanging, screen off, no response to any keypress.

Then along came the ROM update. I loaded up the ROM update less than 24 hours ago. Already there has been 2 hangs requiring a soft reset. These hangs happen when I am not using the iPAQ, and when it is turned off. It is pretty much locked up every morning, and requires a soft reset. If I leave it on the power overnight, this does not happen, it does not lock up.

I am thinking it is one of the apps I have installed. Possibly Magic Buttons, or Betaplayer. I quite often have Betaplayer open, but of course not playing, when this happens. I think it has happened without Betaiplayer open though.

Magic Buttons is always on in the background, so it could be that.

I have installed the latest versions of:
- Pocket Informant - To mem
- Resco Keyboard Pro - To mem
- Betaplayer 0.5 - to ipaq file store
- ListPro - to ipaq file store
- Tweaks2k - to ipaq file store
- Journal Bar - to mem
- Magic Button - To mem
- Gamebox solitare - to ipaq file store

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thank you for any suggestions
David

whydidnt
06-04-2005, 08:29 PM
I'm running Magic Button on my 4705 and not experiencing the same issue. I also have BetaPlayer installed without issue. I haven't upgraded PocketInformant, but I would bet against that being the problem.

Try removing the Journal Bar Plugin from the the Today screen to see if it's causing an issue. You should be able to do that without uninstalling. That and the Resco Keyboard pro are the only two items that would typically be on in the background while the device is asleep.

jimski
06-05-2005, 08:42 AM
I have most of the applications you have listed (except Magic Button, Resco Keyboard Pro & Gamebox Solitare) along with many more, and have never experienced the lockup you describe.

On past devices I have had problems with lockups and spontaneous hard resets centered around SIP replacements, so I would place my bet on Resco Keyboard Pro not playing well with your device. Just my 2 cents.

Scottwood2
06-23-2005, 12:24 AM
I just posted this over at Brighthand. I too am using Betaplayer and Magic Button. My problem today is a hard reset. Did yours do this as well?

Well I am on my 4th 4700 now. This one has been great but now this on is having a problem. I have seen this before. I used it a few hours before to look up a phone number, worked OK. I think I did not turn it off but it should shut down in 2 minutes.

A few hours later I put it in the cradle as I do every day and nothing happened. It would not turn on, no charge indicator, nothing. Soft reset did nothing. removed the battery and reinstalled, nothing. tried another charger, nothing. tried the battery again and it worked but it did a hard reset. Backup battery showed 100% charged.

A friend of mine had the same problem just a few days before. What is going on with these things? Any one else have this problem?

Thx

ppc_md2b
07-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Hey there,

I bought an HP4700 about a week and a half ago. I am also experiencing this problem, and am getting very annoyed with it. The small frustrations associated with switching from Palm to PPC are no problem for me, as I am overall liking the new approach and improved functionality over Palm. I can really see myself sticking with PPC. But this hanging is annoying, and I don't have the patience or time (I'm doc-to-be in Toronto going into my final year of school) to soft reset every 5 minutes. If a solution can't be found, I may return the device and switch to a different brand.

JG

bagemk
07-14-2005, 10:11 AM
I've also seen this issue. It became much worse when I upgraded to the new ROM. In fact, it reached the point where the Ipaq was unusable. So I downgraded again.

I haven't been able to identify the cause as a specific software package, but, I am starting to suspect it is something in the wireless stack. I regularly switch between two wireless networks, one with simple WEP and one with more comprehensive wireless security. I definately get more crashes when I'm working with the latter.