View Full Version : Question about Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition

playtothebeat
06-02-2005, 09:29 AM
i'm looking into picking up an HP rx3115, and it comes with Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition as the OS. i know that msft just released Windows Mobile 5.0. how outdated is the OS that comes with the rx3115? it doesn't look like HP will offer an ugprade for the 3115 (at least not as of right now), so i dont want to get something that's TOO old. obviously it looks like it's about 2 years old, but how many versions or patches have been released since the original release date of the second edition?

also, i believe (correct me if im wrong) it comes with windows media player 9. can i upgrade it to WMP10?

thanks

yankeejeep
06-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Wm2003SE is actually the most current version available (except for some beta releases of WM5); WM5 has been announced but manufacturers are unlikely to release it for a couple of more months. HP has announced late summer as their anticipated release time for upgrades and Dell's target is the third quarter. Depending on the device memory configuration, WM2003SE may actually run better than WM5.

WMP 10 is only available as a ROM update from the manufacturer. It cannot be downloaded as an individual app. You will need to check with HP about whether or not they plan to issue a ROM update for the 3115 to give it WMP 10.

Sven Johannsen
06-02-2005, 03:28 PM
WMP 10 is only available as a ROM update from the manufacturer. It cannot be downloaded as an individual app. You will need to check with HP about whether or not they plan to issue a ROM update for the 3115 to give it WMP 10.

WMP10 is available in a ROM upgrade from HP for the rx3000 series.