View Full Version : Nano-cluster Molecule Could Radically Boost Storage

Jason Dunn
05-31-2005, 10:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.technewsworld.com/story/lFA2AslxrnCs00/Tiny-Molecule-Could-Shrink-Computers-Phones-iPods.xhtml' target='_blank'>http://www.technewsworld.com/story/...nes-iPods.xhtml</a><br /><br /></div><i>"The molecule cluster is 10,000 times thinner than a human hair, and marks another step forward in nanotechnology, the science of atoms and molecules that is set to transform medicines, technology and even food in years to come. They're currently no bigger than a pack of cards, but MP3 Latest News about MP3 players such as iPods could get much smaller, according to researchers at a Scottish university. Chemists at Glasgow University have engineered a tiny molecule which can store huge amounts of data in very small spaces, meaning the physical size of digital memory cards and hard drives could shrink dramatically in the next few years."</i><br /><br />Now that's what I'm talking about! Forget these bumps from 1 GB to 2 GB - if this technology makes it to the implementation stage, it could completely define the way storage works in the technology world. There are a lot of remaining questions with this breakthrough, including the cost involved, but if it were possible to create affordable storage cards that held 200+ GB worth of space, imagine how radically that would change the world of consumer electronics! 8O

ricksfiona
05-31-2005, 10:32 PM
'Could' is the operative word here...

Jason Dunn
05-31-2005, 10:35 PM
'Could' is the operative word here...

If we can't be optimistic about future technology breakthroughs, well, what CAN we be optimistic about? :D

GSmith
05-31-2005, 11:18 PM
The biggest mistake in future predictions of this sort seems to me to be that the TOTAL size of a storage system might be linearized as: Y=m*X+b
where
Y is the total size of the solution (cubic volume)
X is the number of data bits
m is the cubic volume per bit
and b is the cubic volume for the read/write mechanism.

Many people choose to ignore b

Sorry for the Math Downer of the Day ;-)

bkerrins
05-31-2005, 11:20 PM
Consumer elctronics? I think businesses would be more interested. It's a lot easier to maintain SOX compliance if every laptop in your organization has terabytes or more of storage. Filer rooms would turn into a standard sized desktop PC...OK, maybe it might need it's own airconditioner to keep cool. But that's still better than an entire rack mount system and cool room.

Warwick
06-01-2005, 08:13 AM
Yeh Im thinkin home usage, imagine a PC that no longer has the whine of multiple hard drives. When rom becomes cheaper than hard drive per meg then why have one at all. Would be cool to just pull a small card out of your PC slip it into your Pocket Pc and have ALL your info with you wherever you go.

Just dont run it past anything with atoms in it, magnets disrupt magnetic storage, atoms might disrupt atomic storage 8O hehe what a shame...
*joke*