View Full Version : Big problems with Qtek 9090 (resetting, not syncing etc...)

acg
05-28-2005, 07:00 PM
This (Qtek 9090) is probably my 15th PDA in 20 years BUT my first ever Pocket PC. Although its feature set is impressive, I am facing issues that render it virtually useless for me, so I really hope you can help me resolve them.

a. In less than a month, it has hard-reset itself 4 times. Two were before the firmware upgrade and two were after. I think WiFi has something to do with it. One was while I was browsing the web on WiFi and two were after unsuccessful attempts to turn WiFi on. I do keep a backup on SD, but all things stored in the PDA after the last backup are obviously gone each time this happens.

b. While WiFi is on, the thing gets REALLY hot. I am not talking a little uncomfortable here, I am talking almost painful to hold for a minute without changing hands. I had a Nokia 9500 and it didn't get hot at all while WiFi was on. Is this normal behavior?

c. ActiveSync with ExchangeServer... This is getting to be a real drag. I absolutely have to sync with my professional Outlook calendar which resides on the company's server. Before the firmware upgrade, it completely refused to sync with the server. After the upgrade, it synced once, but (i) it copied everything to my local PC's Outlook calendar as well (which is semi-OK I guess) and (ii) it never managed to sync with the server again even though it connects without a problem. When it does connect, it actually syncs with my local PC's Outlook calendar, and no! it is not the one I have chosen for it to sync with in the options tab of ActiveSync... I am at a loss with this. Does it have anything to do with certificates?

d. When it did sync with my professional calendar, it showed all the appointment subjects fine (in Greek as it should) BUT the comments within each appointment showed up as gibberish. I installed a whole bunch of fonts from my WinXP Pro desktop to /Windows/Fonts, like Arial, Helvetica, Verdana etc, but to no avail. As I was fiddling with this problem before the upgrade, I was toying with the idea of using a third party utility that would copy my professional calendar items to my personal calendar and sync with it (Private2PublicWare). This was not a stable option, but while experimenting I found out about the gibberish-in-the-comments problem. A workaround was to start the comment with a character in english and then switch to Greek. It worked. Now, after the upgrade, even this doesn't work anymore.

This is one hell of a phone/PDA combo with everything I need/want, but I absolutely have to fix those problems to keep using it. PLEASE help... I really don't want to go back to my old SE P910i (which incidentally works like a charm...) as ti lacks WiFi, has a small screen and no usable keyboard.

Thanks for your time and sorry for the long post;)

ACG

Chris Spera
05-29-2005, 02:07 PM
I think you've got a defective unit. Its not supposed to get hot at all. The fact that you can't even hold it when it gets that hot tells me that its likely something got fried when using WiFi and that's what is causing all of your problems.

Are you using a 3rd party battery? If not, return the 9090 as defective and get a new one.

acg
05-29-2005, 03:27 PM
Thanks, I will do that and it will probably take care of the hard-reset problem. It did it again 3 times today while trying to establish WiFi connection to my home WLAN.

Any ideas about the other problems I mentioned?

MitchellO
05-30-2005, 04:54 AM
I have had a PDA with builtin WiFi before (iPAQ 4355) and never had it heat up when using it. I left it on all the time, and it wasn't any different as when turned off.

Definately see about getting it fixed or better yet replaced.

acg
05-31-2005, 12:17 PM
Thanks, will do. I am sending it to the service and hopefully they will replace it. Then I will have to see about all the other issues...

acg
06-28-2005, 11:32 AM
I'm back:) With a new unit as the other one was indeed defective. I still have the sync problem between calendar items residing on the server and me Pocket PC. I installed ActiveSync 3.8 but the problem still persists. When it does sync (once every blue moon) it does so with my other Outlook calendar (the local one residing on my laptop). What can I do?