View Full Version : Rumors About HTC's Next Generation Of Mini-PPC

Jon Westfall
05-27-2005, 12:02 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=641623&page=1' target='_blank'>http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...t=641623&page=1</a><br /><br /></div><i>"I just saw the New HTC Galaxy and wizard to replace the Magician. Got a hirizontal slide out keyboard. Same size as Magician. Black in colour. with 128mb ram, Wifi built in. Same size as Jam. With a 2.1mb camera (undecided maybe 1.2)."</i><br /><br />Well, if we had a "Gossip" forum, this would certainly be posted in it. Strictly rumor, this poster over at howardforums claims to have some advance information on the new HTC Pocket PCs being released later this year. Tuck away this tidbit and if it pans out you can triumphantly roll your eyes when someone tells you the breaking news later, nonchalantly saying "I've known about that for awhile" :)

DaleReeck
05-27-2005, 01:07 PM
I have no doubt this "rumor" is true. However, companies kick around lots of ideas and often built prototypes of these ideas. But whether it actually becomes a sellable product is another matter. In fact, I'm sure we'd all be surprised at the numbers of prototype hardware created by various that actually existed as a working device but never got to production.

stevelam
05-27-2005, 03:15 PM
*Drools* *Ahhhhhh's* *Collapses in horror when he realises that there is no way he will be able to afford one*

Camp
05-27-2005, 05:31 PM
I want a flip keyboard, not a slide out. That is the one thing I hate about the Blue Angel.

kcrain
05-27-2005, 05:41 PM
I want a flip keyboard, not a slide out. That is the one thing I hate about the Blue Angel.

It seems to me, but I may be wrong, that a flip keyboard would make the device bigger than a slide out. IF it were to be a slideout, I've always thought that a horizontal keyboard running the length instead of the width (like the blue angel) would be better. It would give the keyboard more room for slightly larger buttons and removing the problems of typing with big fingers. I like the idea in a Magician-sized device. I know there are always those with concerns about protecting the screen, but we've been dealing with that for years. Clamshells just seem to make things bigger.

biglouis
05-27-2005, 06:12 PM
I don't care about a keyboard at all. Wifi and WM5 are the 'must haves' for me.

The only thing that strikes me as false about the post is mention of 800Mz processor. By next January? Is that possible?

LouisB

ricksfiona
05-27-2005, 07:15 PM
Yes, I've heard similar rumors on the new device and they all sound the same regarding the specifications.

Regarding the 800MHz speed... I think this in regard to GPRS in some way.. I can't imagine them releasing a processor with this speed. That would be just amazing if they can pull it off, but I don't think this is going to happen. Especially if they include a VGA screen which is the next evolutionary step in their product line. I would think that this would be just so expensive as well. We'll just have to wait and see.

Let's hope for the best. We should know by September 24.

mr_Ray
05-27-2005, 09:17 PM
Well an 800MHz XScale is the least I'd expect from Intel's next refresh, tbh. Last move was 400MHz max to 624MHz max. 624>800MHz is a much smaller jump. Remember the 624MHz XScale was first in the Axim X30 all that time ago, so the next round of XScales can't be too far away.

That said, I doubt the first ones will be in phone devices. (Edit) And yes as you say, it's likely referring to the phone frequency.

andydempsey
05-27-2005, 09:37 PM
When. How much. Which carriers. Do I wait for the universal, or these new ones?

dma1965
05-28-2005, 02:28 AM
Oh yeah, this is old news. I already got one. Yep, it has it all. 800MHz processor, VGA, WiFi, Cold AC, Power Windows, Power Locks, Leather Seats....Oh wait, its a new car I got...my bad!!! :twisted:

Darius Wey
05-28-2005, 03:27 AM
The only thing that strikes me as false about the post is mention of 800Mz processor. By next January? Is that possible?

Most definitely. Intel are already working on a new class of mobile processors and 800MHz doesn't seem to be an unrealistic mark to hit.

KTamas
05-28-2005, 12:29 PM
*Drools* *Ahhhhhh's* *Collapses in horror when he realises that there is no way he will be able to afford one*
Man i feel your pain :) I've just bought an blueangel a few days ago... i love it, but a magician with slide-out keyboard and wifi.....oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh...

stevelam
05-28-2005, 01:29 PM
Man i feel your pain :) I've just bought an blueangel a few days ago... i love it, but a magician with slide-out keyboard and wifi.....oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh...

I think i'll have to stick with my h2210 for some time yet.

Aitch
05-28-2005, 05:38 PM
The spec for the next JAM seems evolutionary rather than revolutionary .... more this, bigger that etc etc .... what I wanna see is a whole new feature set ..... like built in GPS !! If HP can do it than so can (must!) HTC :D

Also, I wanna hear what/how they are improving battery time - all this extra power and functionality but with a flat battery after 2 measly hours just sux azz :(

Slide out keyboard would be soooo cooool - but then I will have to get a whole new set of Cases !!

Darius Wey
05-29-2005, 04:08 AM
The spec for the next JAM seems evolutionary rather than revolutionary .... more this, bigger that etc etc .... what I wanna see is a whole new feature set ..... like built in GPS !! If HP can do it than so can (must!) HTC :D

From a geek's perspective, it'd be great. But you do need to consider the business perspective of releasing such a device? Does the mass market want an evolved JAM without GPS, or does the mass market want a revolutionary new JAM with GPS, but priced at $200 more? Which one would lead to better sales in the long run? It is things like that that prevent vendors from releasing an all-in-one can of whoopass.

In fact, I might set up a front page poll on this sometime soon.