View Full Version : could you recommend a PPC w/WiFi, excellent character recognizition and battery life?

micho
05-26-2005, 11:14 AM
Hi,

wanting to go back to PPC, but wondering about a couple things. Maybe you could help.

I currently own a Clie TJ37. I'd be my perfect PDA if it wasn't for the SHORT BATTERY LIFE (3 hrs) and SO-SO GRAFFITTI RECOGNITION.

My first experience with PDAs was with PocketPCs. One of the reasons for me to switch to PalmOS was its good handwriting recognizition. Now, I've seen that PPC have come a long way and today have better text recognition.

Could you recommend me a PPC with:
+5 hrs of battery life (regular use, backlight set at medium)
WiFi
excellent handwriting recognizition

Thank you for your posts.
Micho. :D

surur
05-26-2005, 11:26 AM
Micho, if you are in Europe you should get the Fujitsu Siemens Loox 720. It has excellent battery life (1640 mAh battery (the Clie is 800 mAh)), a nice VGA (480x640)screen, 128Mb ram, WIFI and bluetooth, and a jog dial (which is something I'm sure you would miss a lot from your Clie days). It also has a variety of other features such as Consumer IR, audio in via the headphone socket (to record e.g. lectured with a high quality microphone), a VOIP speaker and a (mediocre) 1.3 Mpixel camera with flash.

If you are in America the Loox is not being distributed there (although still available through resellers) and I would suggest then the HP 4705. It has a large VGA screen, fast processor, 128Mb ROM for persistent storage built in, a very large 1800 mAh battery with very long run time, and of course WIFI and bluetooth. Its one of the largest pocketpc's, but also one of the thinnest of the VGA pocketpc's.

Look here for a review of the high-end pocketpc's (http://surur.sytes.net/looxreview.html)

Surur

Zyxel615
05-26-2005, 01:59 PM
If you don't want to spend quite that much money, I'd go for the iPAQ rx3715 (I have it). It really has amazing battery life, like 8+ hours with backlight on half and 6 or 7 hours with WiFi.

I quite like the Letter Recognization feature, I can write much faster than with graffiti.

micho
05-28-2005, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the recommendations....I kinda like the rx3715....didn't know about its astounding battery life (8hrs!)...don't know what to make of its large size though...might be willing to look into other PPC models without the camera feature if necessary...battery life and WiFi is important to me.

Thanks again.
Micho

Zyxel615
05-28-2005, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the recommendations....I kinda like the rx3715....didn't know about its astounding battery life (8hrs!)...don't know what to make of its large size though...might be willing to look into other PPC models without the camera feature if necessary...battery life and WiFi is important to me.

Thanks again.
Micho

Problem is, most PDA:s with good battery life and WiFi are big... The camera doesn't take up that much space really. The rx3715 might not be the slimmest PDA around, but for me it is not a problem. It slips quite easily into a pocket and the included slip case is slim while giving pretty good protection against scratches on the screen etc.

Targaid
05-30-2005, 07:13 PM
Being fairly new to PPCs I ca only comment on my own machine: the Axim X50v. Although the supplied battery is lousy you should be able to get the combination you require with an extended battery. Another option might be to carry a second battery or, as I do, a mains cable for extended use. Even with the supplied battery I can get about 4 hours of non-wireless use out of mine.

Oh for the days of three months on a set of AAAs on my Palm IIIx

micho
06-05-2005, 07:55 PM
Ouch...4 hours? I'm getting around 3 hours out of my Clie TJ37 and don't think I can continue living that little battery life...thanks though for your suggestion.

Today I found out about Skype por PPC...found out there's no version for PalmOS though...another reason for me to switch!!

Menneisyys
06-06-2005, 11:54 AM

Well, beware of the rx3715: it won't receive the Windows Mobile 5 upgrade and has severe problems with the File Store. If I were you, I'd go for another model: for, for example,m the Dell Axim x50v, the iPAQ hx4700 or the F-S Pocket Loox 720.

Please also see http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117248 on this.

Menneisyys
06-06-2005, 11:55 AM
Ouch...4 hours? I'm getting around 3 hours out of my Clie TJ37 and don't think I can continue living that little battery life...thanks though for your suggestion.

get an extended battery for the x50v. Apart from the lousy battery life, it's a great little device - much better than most QVGA devices. With an extended battery, you'll also get a decent battery life.

Furthermore, it's not more expensive than the rx3715.

micho
06-10-2005, 11:50 AM
Shooooot...guess I should have done a more thorough reasearch...I just bought an rx3715 for $320 at eBay....store issue doesn't seem to be that spread, but it is documented.

Micho.

micho
06-10-2005, 11:58 AM
By the way...pardon my ignorance, but what exactly am I missing if I'm not able to upgrade to 2005 OS?

Thanks!!

micho
06-10-2005, 12:30 PM
get an extended battery for the x50v. Apart from the lousy battery life, it's a great little device - much better than most QVGA devices. With an extended battery, you'll also get a decent battery life.

mmhhh...think I'll pass...it's way too bulky for me and it only adds to an additional 2 hours of battery life to the already lousy 2 to 3 hours you can get out of the 50v

http://www.imagehosting.us/imagehosting/showimg.jpg/?id=525077

Possum Roadkill
06-14-2005, 07:33 AM
After using a hVGA screen, I'd consider switching to a qVGA screen a step backwards. The screen is the most important part of any PDA in my oppinion.

I wasn't too concerned with the larger size, so I went with the hx4705 (same as the hx4700). I also got the extended battery. Although I've been having issues with the last update that cut the battery time about in half, I still get over 5 hours of use on the extended battery.

If you do go with a hx4700/4705, I would not apply the update, if planning to get an extended battery. HP claims their will be a fix for the issue soon though.

The extended battery is twice the capacity of the standard but Mugen makes an even larger battery and there's a company making a leather case with a battery where the hx4705 attaches by the battery compartment.

The x50v seemed to be an almost equally good choice but I went with the hx4705 because all the reviews I read said the screen was better, and the memory was higher.

cchan
06-26-2005, 12:26 AM
Hello all. I have been a lurker on these forums for a while, but decided to make my official entry into the PPC community. What with the way Palm is faring, and the departure of the Sony people, what's a guy who wants a cool, functional device to do? Join the evil Empire, that's what. :)

Well, I have a Sony TH55 which I absoutely love. For now it's a great device (especially since getting the Landscape application which enables rotation on the fly). However, Palm is still making batteries non-user replaceable and twiddling their thumbs while Rome burns. No innovation, just half-hearted attempts to keep up. Thus, I'm thinking ahead and am liking the LOOX.

I want high resolution, great battery life, wifi, bluetooth, and a fast processor. I don't anticipate playing movies or anything but want to be able to manage documents on my device. I hope the crashing and non-datebook synching are problems of the past, as is the problem with the X button not closing applications but minimizing them...

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance! :wink: