View Full Version : Use your Pocket PC as common USB Mass Storage device

Patrick Y.
05-25-2005, 04:53 AM
This is very good news! I just found out that there will be a new feature in WM5 allowing you to use your Pocket PC as a common USB Mass Storage device! Without any special application or driver, you'll be able to connect it to your desktop computer with Windows XP installed (possibly Windows 2000) and transfer files between them. And this is cool, don't you think?

EDIT :: Just to make it more accurate, the USB Mass Storage function is available in Windows CE 5.0 which is a core system for Windows Mobile 5. So it only depends on manufactrers whether they use it in ther ROMs for Pocket PCs or not...

This is a piece of news I found in PDAgold. I'm VERY excited. To be able to use my Pocket PC as common USB Mass Storage device will be very convenient and useful to me. What do you think? I would like to know how much you value this function. :wink:

Targaid
06-04-2005, 02:25 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me. I rarely have use for a data storage stick, but sometimes get larger downloads from a friend with broadband rather than doing it myself on dial-up. When I do that I need to borrow his data stick to get the stuff home. Since this is rare it's not worth buying a stick for, but it would be great if I could use my PDA instead.

BUT it seems unlikely to be easily implemented in current machines as thay all have differing connectors, even within a range from one company. So it will, yet again, be an excuse to be over-charged for a cable until the 3rd party companies can get their acts together to produce them at a more reasonable price.