View Full Version : MessageBox: "Alert: Already program is executed."

rocky_raher
05-23-2005, 07:49 PM
Twice today, my Samsung SPH-i700, running Windows Mobil 2003, has spontaneously displayed a MessageBox with a title of "Alert" and text of "Already program is executed." It happened just now, when I was reading an Avantgo channel, and it happened this morning while I was looking at my calendar.

It has been over two months since I installed any new software. I've never seen this messagebox before.

Has anyone else ever seen this, or have any idea what it is??

[Yes, I am tempted to use the "V" word, but I'm hoping it's something benign.]

Janak Parekh
05-23-2005, 08:32 PM
Weird... I never had that problem on my i700. I doubt it's a virus.

Two debugging steps I'd suggest:

1. Take everything (or unimportant things) out of Startup and soft-reset, and see if it recurs;

2. Do you have any duplicate notification database cleanup programs (http://www.scarybearsoftware.com/ppc_cn_overview.html)? I think the i700 has the older release of WM2003 that's susceptible to this. I have no idea if it's related -- but that's one thing on the Pocket PC that will change even if no new software is installed...

--janak

Sven Johannsen
05-23-2005, 08:55 PM
Just the way it's phrased would lead me to believe that it is related to a program not written by a native english speaker. Got any things like that?

rocky_raher
05-23-2005, 09:27 PM
I did a soft reset. Stickybear's Check Notifications only showed 14 events, none of which look unusual or suspicious.

I looked at the log of software installations. The only software from possibly non-native English speakers (as far as I could guess) was from Nobunaga and Linvosoft. I've had Nobunaga installed for some time, so I trust it.

It hasn't recurred in the last 2 hours. If it happens again, I'll record exactly what I was doing and what was running.

Thank you for the feedback, Janak and Sven.

yankeejeep
05-23-2005, 09:35 PM
Frequently when you encounter strange behavior that seems to simply start for no reason, the issue can be remedied with a soft reset. This cleans the program execution portion of your RAM so if the error is appearing because a memory chunk has gotten overwritten by another app, it should clear up. I find this is more likely to happen if I have been using my device over a number of days, starting and exiting apps, loading and unloading large documents and databses, without doing a soft reset.

Janak Parekh
05-23-2005, 09:44 PM
Frequently when you encounter strange behavior that seems to simply start for no reason, the issue can be remedied with a soft reset.
True, but considering that rocky_raher's been here for about three years, I assume he's tried the soft reset route. ;) Nevertheless, always good general advice, and doesn't hurt to repeat it. "When in doubt, reboot" applies not only to PCs, but Pocket PCs as well.

--janak