View Full Version : with WM5 around the corner (in Tokyo), should i get the x50v for US$448?

ipaq_wannabe
05-20-2005, 07:45 AM
the WM5 update would be released in Tokyo around June... which is just about a few weeks from now...

also, the x50v Axim (includes the 1100mAh extra battery plus shipping) now only costs US$448...

should i get the Dell, and upgrade my WM2003 QVGA Loox 610 with WiFi/BT? or just wait until the actual WM5 is released?

please let me know your thoughts, and thanks!!!

PS: I'm figuring I could sell the Loox in the local auctions for at least US$250...

surur
05-20-2005, 12:55 PM
I would hang on. The upgrades will come many months after the actual new WM 5 devices ship (even though they have exactly the same hardware)

Surur

ipaq_wannabe
05-21-2005, 12:51 AM
I would hang on. The upgrades will come many months after the actual new WM 5 devices ship (even though they have exactly the same hardware)

Surur

so, you are saying that i should hang on to my Loox and not order the Dell?

anyway, any scheduled dates for the release of the new WM5 devices (i would then add a few months since they come late to tokyo)

thanks!!!

:D

Darius Wey
05-21-2005, 03:21 AM
so, you are saying that i should hang on to my Loox and not order the Dell?

Actually, each to their own opinion, I believe the X50v is a good buy, and you have the peace of mind knowing that it will receive the Windows Mobile 5 upgrade in Q3. The X50v definitely has the hardware capabilities to be classed as one of the top devices out there, and there's no reason why it can't last you at least a couple of years.

anyway, any scheduled dates for the release of the new WM5 devices (i would then add a few months since they come late to tokyo)

Well, the HTC Universal was announced a couple of weeks ago but it hasn't started shipping yet. Realistically, I think you'd have to wait until Q4 2005 or even early Q1 2006 before we start to see a mass unveiling of new Windows Mobile 5 devices.

ipaq_wannabe
05-21-2005, 03:52 AM
Well, the HTC Universal was announced a couple of weeks ago but it hasn't started shipping yet. Realistically, I think you'd have to wait until Q4 2005 or even early Q1 2006 before we start to see a mass unveiling of new Windows Mobile 5 devices.

Q1 2006!?!?!

wow! i guess thats too long a wait for me...

anyway, i think im deciding to get the Axim...

with about at least US$250 for the Loox, i can get a upgrade to the X50V for about around US$200...

looks like a good deal to me... :D

Darius Wey
05-21-2005, 04:22 AM
Q1 2006!?!?!

That was a worst case scenario. Keeping in mind that the upgrades released by HP, Dell and Fujitsu-Siemens are all around Q3 2005, it's quite likely that Q4 2005 will be the golden timeframe for the release of new devices. And worst case scenario? The next quarter at Q1 2006.

Menneisyys
05-21-2005, 08:20 AM
anyway, i think im deciding to get the Axim...

I'd do the same.

surur
05-21-2005, 08:35 AM
Traditionally, don't the new OS come out in devices many months before the upgrade is shipped on CD? If he wanted the new OS he should wait 2 months at least, otherwise he will have to wait 6 for the new OS upgrade on his now old PPC.

Surur

Darius Wey
05-21-2005, 10:30 AM
If he wanted the new OS he should wait 2 months at least, otherwise he will have to wait 6 for the new OS upgrade on his now old PPC.

Are you making reference to the X50v or the old LOOX?

Focusing on Dell here, Q3 isn't far off, so I imagine a lot of people will be able to get their hands on the X50/X50v upgrade CD very shortly.

surur
05-21-2005, 01:38 PM
If he wanted the new OS he should wait 2 months at least, otherwise he will have to wait 6 for the new OS upgrade on his now old PPC.

Are you making reference to the X50v or the old LOOX?

Focusing on Dell here, Q3 isn't far off, so I imagine a lot of people will be able to get their hands on the X50/X50v upgrade CD very shortly.

Do you expect new Dell's with WM 5 will come out at the same time as the upgrade CD? I expect there will be a few months difference, with Dell x50v's being sold with magneto in a month or two, and the upgrade CD only shipping in September to October, if not even later.

Surur

Darius Wey
05-21-2005, 02:39 PM
Do you expect new Dell's with WM 5 will come out at the same time as the upgrade CD? I expect there will be a few months difference, with Dell x50v's being sold with magneto in a month or two, and the upgrade CD only shipping in September to October, if not even later.

Working off the Dell announcement, they did say the following: "Dell Axim X50 customers will be able to purchase the upgrade, expected to ship during the third quarter, on compact disc."

Now I doubt Dell would delay the upgrade CD any further. As with X50s shipped with Windows Mobile 5 in ROM, I'd like to think it would be made available around the same time, although that's just wishful thinking. What Dell ends up doing is up to them, and I have no idea what their motives are at this stage. Regardless, if it's going for a good price, I still think the X50v is a great buy, but like I said, each to their own opinion. :mrgreen:

surur
05-21-2005, 05:37 PM
I don't mean to imply that he should not buy the Dell, just that he should time it to get the new OS soonest.

Surur

applejosh
05-21-2005, 05:46 PM
If I were in the market to get a PPC, I'd probably do it now (or sometimes before it was offered pre-installed) and then pay for the upgrade when it was made available. That way if I find too many issues with WM 5, then I could downgrade to WM2003SE (assuming that was possible after the upgrade) until the issues were resolved. Just my thoughts since I'm sure there will be issues with some apps when WM5 is out in the wild.

ipaq_wannabe
05-22-2005, 10:02 AM
thanks a lot guys for your comments...

and yes, ive finally decided - i just ordered the Dell X50V... it comes with an extra 1100mAh battery and shipping for about US$448 (converted from yen)... :D

unfortunately... :(

it takes on the average of 10 to 14 days for me to receive it... :cry:

c'mmon, Dell-Japan, is there any way for me to get it before Friday...??? :wink:

i just cant wait to my with a VGA-device, and all... especially now, since the many updates from Dell - i think all the bugs have been smoothen out... (compared that to Fujitsu-Japan's Loox - barely any update at all... :evil: )...

i want to play already with my Axim...

:D

Darius Wey
05-22-2005, 11:31 AM
10-14 days is usually an overestimate, although it isn't always like that. In the cases where I've purchased something from them, I have always received my items around three to four days before their ETA. Hopefully, you receive it earlier than expected as well. Either way, the great thing about Dell is that you have the ability to track your order through their website.

By the way, nice avatar. ;)

ipaq_wannabe
05-23-2005, 11:53 PM
10-14 days is usually an overestimate, although it isn't always like that. In the cases where I've purchased something from them, I have always received my items around three to four days before their ETA. Hopefully, you receive it earlier than expected as well. Either way, the great thing about Dell is that you have the ability to track your order through their website.

i called up Dell-Support, and they told me that it would arrive on or before or after June 1st...

aaaarrrggghhhh... another weekend of wait... :(

any suggestions there to keep me from going crazy??? :wink:

By the way, nice avatar. ;)

thanks!!!

aside from handheld lists - i also am a part of some anime forums...

:wink:

Darius Wey
05-24-2005, 12:52 PM

Ick... Sorry to hear about the wait. In the meantime, you can play with a really old PDA (if you have one). That'll make your X50 all the more exciting when you receive it. ;)

ipaq_wannabe
05-27-2005, 12:49 AM

Ick... Sorry to hear about the wait. In the meantime, you can play with a really old PDA (if you have one). That'll make your X50 all the more exciting when you receive it. ;)

yep - still have a mint condition Zaurus PI-8000 (released in January 1997) from my collection of PDAs (which btw, also includes a mint condition Palm Vx)...

:roll: