View Full Version : Star Wars 3: One of the most unrealistic scenes?

Typhoon
05-20-2005, 06:13 AM
The lava scene...shouldn't a close encounter w/lava burn or scald them? Or at least there skins? At least have or show some effect on them? I can't even put my hand near the flames of my stove... What do you guys think?

Jacob
05-20-2005, 06:17 AM
You have no problem with a "magical force" that one can use to expel lighning from one's hands and you have a problem with being close to lava?

They were using the force to protect themselves from the heat.

Darius Wey
05-20-2005, 06:38 AM
Star Wars 3: One of the most unrealistic scenes?

Oh. I thought you were referring to the nine-month pregnancy appearing to take its course over a few days.

G M Fude
05-20-2005, 06:55 AM
Or explosions that make a loud Bang! in the soundless hard vacuum of space?

Typhoon
05-20-2005, 07:37 AM
lol yea, there is a lot in there that doesn't make sense. But I guess I didn't figure that their "magical powers" saving them from the molten's heat was so obvious.

wocket
05-20-2005, 08:52 AM
8O I hav'nt seen it yet! Must exit this thred

G M Fude
05-20-2005, 09:37 AM
Well the beauty of the films is their escapism. It's all a matter of suspending disbelief. Look at some of the stuff in a James Bond film; but we still love 'em. Really looking forward to Revenge of the Sith but I might wait until the crowds die down a bit. Or not.

Star Wars doesn't take the science too seriously, to Lucas' credit. It's when a film makes the pretence of being scientific but nevertheless bends all the laws of physics that it gets annoying. Armageddon (that shocker with the comet) is one that springs to mind.

Check out Intuitor's Insultingly Stupid Movie Physics (http://intuitor.com/moviephysics/index.html) website if you're interested in others.

Typhoon
05-20-2005, 10:04 AM
That's true... escapism is what everyone wants... but I hope no one got the impression as if I was trying to complain about the film. It was awesome, and I could care less about whether it was science or science fiction. But concerning science... what we take for granted that is considered science isn't always true and the perceptions we have in the world are always changing. New science is always discovered and old "science" debunked. There is so much we don't know.

I'm probably like most people though... I'm not bothered by a lot of the science fiction that some consider that is beyond belief. lol I can't imagine 50 people coming out after the movie of Star Wars and complaing that Lucas violated the law of physics. I do recognize that there were (what we consider) a lot of nonrealistic scenes were in the movie...it's just that the molten lava scene is the one that came to my mind and I thought it was a bit funny.

Darius Wey
05-20-2005, 11:23 AM
...but I hope no one got the impression as if I was trying to complain about the film.

Not at all. When it comes down to science fiction films, especially with epics like Star Wars, I don't think many would burst an artery over how unrealistic a certain scene was and whether it conformed to the laws of Physics. It's more about the plot, and with Episode III, regardless of how realistic or unrealistic a scene may have been, it was all about that timeless experience and being taken back to '77 when the LucasFilm logo appeared on screen. :)

Typhoon
05-20-2005, 01:17 PM
it was all about that timeless experience and being taken back to '77 when the LucasFilm logo appeared on screen. :)

Ahhh... and did it do it for you? The first movie came out years before I was born, so I never had that experience w/that movie. I was never interested in Star Wars and non of the movies made me interested at all. ...But after watching this one, I feel like watching all the rest I have missed.

Darius Wey
05-20-2005, 01:41 PM
Ahhh... and did it do it for you? The first movie came out years before I was born, so I never had that experience w/that movie. I was never interested in Star Wars and non of the movies made me interested at all. ...But after watching this one, I feel like watching all the rest I have missed.

I don't think it's a matter of when you saw the first movie. You could have seen it in the 80s, 90s, or even last year and the effect would be almost parallel. You really have to appreciate Episodes IV to VI before you start to see the significance of Episode III. Since I have no desire to spoil it for you, I'll go back to your original question. Did it do it for me? In short, minor flaws aside, yes, it did.

dMores
05-20-2005, 03:02 PM
funny, i have no problem with loud bangs in space. even though i know they're not possible, i kind of ignore and enjoy it since it's not something that i can really relate to, physically.

but when people are in volcanoes and playing near lava, that kind of bothers me since it is something my body tells me right away is not right.

force fields, light sabres, those things are fantasy and ok with me. it's something i can somehow immagine could really exist.

anyway ... i'm talking about things i don't know since i haven't seen the movie yet. but the lava scene was in trailers you see on tv all the time so i guess i'm "allowed" to comment :)

but i'm very much looking forward to episode III and i can't wait to see it.

Darius Wey
05-20-2005, 03:20 PM
but i'm very much looking forward to episode III and i can't wait to see it.

And may the Force be with you. :lol:

SteveHoward999
05-20-2005, 04:11 PM
funny, i have no problem with loud bangs in space. even though i know they're not possible, i kind of ignore and enjoy it since it's not something that i can really relate to, physically.

Most of what we see in sf movies is not possible today, but we know it could be possible in the future, or accept that certain things (telapathic powers) are 'valid' in fiction.

Bangs in space are not going to happen without signficant changes in space.

Suspending disbelief is one thing, but showing us something that simply is not possible is another.

In other words big explosion noises in space annoy me.

Mark Kenepp
05-20-2005, 05:58 PM
Most of what we see in sf movies is not possible today, but we know it could be possible in the future, or accept that certain things (telapathic powers) are 'valid' in fiction.

Suspending disbelief is one thing, but showing us something that simply is not possible is another.

This is certainly one place where 2001 did it right, IMHO.

Even though every time I see (or hear) "space noise" in a movie, I understand why it is there. Imagine the entire battle of Yavin in Episode IV with the only sound the radio chatter. It may be more realistic but would it be as entertaining?

Typhoon
05-20-2005, 06:25 PM

Even though every time I see (or hear) "space noise" in a movie, I understand why it is there. Imagine the entire battle of Yavin in Episode IV with the only sound the radio chatter. It may be more realistic but would it be as entertaining?

lol probably not

Damion Chaplin
05-20-2005, 09:14 PM
The first movie came out years before I was born, so I never had that experience w/that movie.

Boy does THAT make me feel old! 8O

Never thought I'd feel old during a conversation about Star Wars! Most of the time, people just roll their eyes and say "It came out when I was too old to appreciate it". :wink:

Typhoon
05-21-2005, 02:07 AM
The first movie came out years before I was born, so I never had that experience w/that movie.

Boy does THAT make me feel old! 8O

Never thought I'd feel old during a conversation about Star Wars! Most of the time, people just roll their eyes and say "It came out when I was too old to appreciate it". :wink:

lol Sorry about that. Now I need to figure out how I want to watch all the rest of the movies I missed...rent them or buy them... I know I could probably download them but I gave up on bootlegs long time ago.

G M Fude
05-21-2005, 02:47 AM

Agreed, Mark. I'm not sure if was Arthur C Clarke, or one of the Apollo astronauts, but someone famously said after Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey was released, "If they're going to make a better film about outer space, it will have to be shot on location."

The local Aussie free-to-air TV stations have been cashing in on the release of Revenge of the Sith by showing the other 5 episodes over the past month or two (frankly, they're mad if they don't). After seeing these, I just re-watched 2001... for the umpteenth time and was impressed about the veracity of the above quotation.

I didn't really mean in my earlier post about noisy explosions in a vacuum that I disliked it. Films of the ilk of Star Wars would be far less enjoyable without the noise ("Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom..."). If I crank up my amplifier at home when watching Obi-Wan and Jango's asteroid chase in Attack of the Clones on DVD I reckon I can just about get plaster falling off the ceiling! :)

Look at the wire work in recent Chinese classics such as Hero or Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Impossible. Ludicrous, even. But also beautiful and awe-inspiring. It's not a documentary; that's the genre.

As are loud bangs and lightning from the hands and so on, in Star Wars. Enjoy!

dean_shan
05-21-2005, 03:44 AM
It's not the most unrealistic but it's the part I hated the most.

Darth Vader walking around awkwardly shaking his fists yelling "Noooooooooooo". Ugh, the Darth Vader from the classic movies would never do that.

G M Fude
05-21-2005, 04:31 AM
Dean's mention of Darth seems as good a time as any to link to one of the finest pieces of amateur writing I've ever seen.

http://darthside.blogspot.com/

As the URL might suggest, this is a blog penned as though from Lord Vader himself. As is the way of blogs, it appears in reverse chronological order, reading down. If you are interested, I urge you to begin at the beginning, by hunting up the earliest date in the archives, and work your way through.

Author Matt Hemming has a beautiful turn of prose, he's witty and can also be quite wrenchingly sad. There are no spoilers in it for Revenge of the Sith, it is written in a time much later than that. Highly recommended for anyone interested in Star Wars -- and if you're not, why are you browsing this thread? Go find something else to do! :)

SteveHoward999
05-21-2005, 07:52 AM
lol yea, there is a lot in there that doesn't make sense. But I guess I didn't figure that their "magical powers" saving them from the molten's heat was so obvious.

Well shucks, so how did Darth get all burn then?

SteveHoward999
05-21-2005, 07:57 AM
I didn't really mean in my earlier post about noisy explosions in a vacuum that I disliked it. Films of the ilk of Star Wars would be far less enjoyable without the noise ("Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom..."). If I crank up my amplifier at home when watching Obi-Wan and Jango's asteroid chase in Attack of the Clones on DVD I reckon I can just about get plaster falling off the ceiling! :)

Good dramatic music can achieve the same thing. Noise in space something I can never forgive a film ...

Jacob
05-21-2005, 07:30 PM
Well shucks, so how did Darth get all burn then?

He only got burnt after Obi-Wan cut him up - so his magical power "force-asbestos" was down.

dean_shan
05-22-2005, 04:21 AM
Hey thanks for the link G M, that site is a great read.

dMores
05-23-2005, 10:17 AM
Darth Vader walking around awkwardly shaking his fists yelling "Noooooooooooo". Ugh, the Darth Vader from the classic movies would never do that. well that shows us that he developed his cool only later on :)
yes. D.V. is cool !

chhhh-chrrrrrrr
chhhh-chrrrrrrr

Good dramatic music can achieve the same thing. Noise in space something I can never forgive a film ...
you're forgetting the "quick, we need to escape from the shock wave" part that comes after the ear-shattering sound ;)

dean_shan
05-24-2005, 05:57 AM

Ugh, no noise in space makes a film incredibly boring. 2001: A Space Odyssey any one?

SteveHoward999
05-24-2005, 03:54 PM

Ugh, no noise in space makes a film incredibly boring. 2001: A Space Odyssey any one?

Yes I know - hence the words of mine that you just quoted. However, good filmmaking can make up for the lack of noise too.

I must be getting old. I really get bored with the bombardment of noise and bad special effects that are used to hide bad filmmaking.

dMores
05-25-2005, 09:45 AM
the worst sound effects were, in my opinion, in "event horizon".
maybe the movie theater was maladjusted, but i got a heart attack every time a space ship flew past the camera.
it was so loud, and unanticipated, and completely useless to scare people just because the space ship moved past.

anyways, moving on ...

PG
05-31-2005, 05:14 PM
Most unrealistic scene:

Darth Vader: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

SteveHoward999
05-31-2005, 05:34 PM
Did anyone find any sympathy for the dillema/angst that young Skywalker went through? I really could not care about such an unbelievable character.

hedgeborn
06-21-2005, 08:16 AM
Did anyone find any sympathy for the dillema/angst that young Skywalker went through? I really could not care about such an unbelievable character.

No.

Hayden Christiansen (sp) was easily the weakest link in the film and his portrayal Anakin/Darth was the least realistic part of the film(s)

He sucks.

The movie was great but it would have been much, much better with a competent actor in that role. I can think of 100 people that would have been better than that little pissant.

Jimmy Dodd
07-11-2005, 03:46 AM
Most unrealistic scene:

Darth Vader: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

As whiney as he was through the previous six hours of story, the "NOOOOOO" wasn't totally unexpected. At least he didn't say "It's not fair!" again. :roll: