View Full Version : HELP! I need to find a suitable PDA for my needs...

Shahid
05-19-2005, 03:14 AM
Hey Everyone,

Right off the bat, thanks in advance for any and all responses.

A short intro: I work in the IT industry and used to be a gadget-head. I used to own a Palm V, but got rid of it when my company bought me a BlackBerry. I've been using BlackBerry(s) for a while now, but no matter how many models they come out with it's primarily an email device. I need something that can do much more...

So, I'm back hunting for the perfect PDA, but boy oh boy things have changed!! So many models, so many features. I've read many reviews and forum posts, but I find that often they're written with the power user in mind. I don't plan on being a power user.

Can you help me find the perfect PDA? This is what I need from it:

MUST HAVE
It must synch with Outlook in an efficient and clean manner. I need to be able to have my entire mailbox (only 100MB) on my PDA and it has to be usable. Preferably, I'd like to be able to search folders as well to find emails...

It must allow me to snooze appointments, tasks, and alarms. (Similar to the functionality in Outlook 2003).

It must be able to handle basic Word, Excel, PDF, and JPG files. I need to be ale to edit the Word and Excel files on the fly.

It must allow me to hold anywhere from 256MB to 1GB worth of files in external storage (i.e. SD slot)

Ability to run the following apps from sd: some sort of dictionary app and some sort of mapping application (directions, etc..)

Under US$300 pricepoint. (I'm willing to buy used on ebay).

Wifi (Out of curiosity, can PDAs share folders via WiFi networks?)

NICE TO HAVE

Vibrating alarm.

LED indicating alarm or reminder.

Some sort of USB drive functionality. [Can you tell I'm a newbie?] But is it possible to use a Pocket PC as a external removable drive somehow? Similar to the "Drive Mode" functionality available with the new Palm Devices?

Standard headphone jack.

TIE BREAKERS

Long battery life / removable battery.

Bluetooth.

STUFF I DON'T NEED

Camera.

VGA screen.

GPS.

Watching movies.

Thanks in advance!

[/u]

Patrick Y.
05-19-2005, 04:03 AM
I'm not sure if you're new to Pocket PC, but some of the requirements you listed is impossible for ANY PDA to do. For example, you won't find any vibrating alarm on a typical pocket PC. As for using it as an external drive, it's still impossible for Pocket PC yet. LED indicating alarm or reminder, however, is on every Pocket PC. Microsoft word, Excel, Outlook, Pictures, and some other standard softwares on PC are also built-in in every Pocket PC. (They're not as powerful though..) As for pdf files, there is a FREE mobile version of Acrobat Reader. You can always install any free/commercial softwares to enhance the device if don't think it is enough.

I decided that models that fit you needs the best are Acer n50 (312mhz) and Dell x30 (312mhz). n50 312mhz version has two expansion slots (SD/CF), Bluetooth, Wi-fi, USB-host(allow you to use USB sticks, mouse, etc), replacable battery, and good performance. This is the ONLY device under $300 that has all these fuction. Though, n50 is only sold in Europe, Taiwan, and other Asian countries. If you are willing to pay more for a even better device, n50 Premium (520mhz) has bigger RAM and better performance. It is around $350.

Here is the link to Acer's pda informational site: http://global.acer.com/products/pda/index.htm

The second model, x30, lacks CF card slot, USB Host, replacable battery, and n50's stylish design. Though, it is basically the same as n50. You can find the device on Dell's website for around $270. There's a X30 Premium ($324)that has 624mhz processor and better performance. However, it is easy to get x30 premium under $300 since Dell offers coupons and discounts all the time.

here's the link to dell's site: http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/pda?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

In conclusion, I think n50 is the best if you only accept PDA under $300. x30 is nice, but it's going to be discontinued VERY SOON. Hope it helps! Don't be hesitant to ask if you have any question. :D