View Full Version : Restoring windows media player 9

notesguy88
05-18-2005, 03:05 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have a T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition upgraded to Windows Mobile 2003. I did something stupid and wiped out Windows Media Player 9. Is there any way to restore that without having to do a hard reset of the device and having to re-install all my applications? Thanks!

Kowalski
05-18-2005, 03:46 PM
what do you mean by saying "wipe out"?
You cant erase programs stored in the rom. This could be because you have lost the shortcut to the application, or messed the file extension associations.
if you give more detailed description of the problem maybe we can help better

notesguy88
05-18-2005, 08:01 PM
It really was uninsalled. I don't have windows media player on it right now. What happened was that I re-installed a whole bunch of software from activesync. What I didn't do was uncheck "Windows Media Player Upgrade." What that actually did was install Windows Media Player 8 over the existing files on my device. When I couldn't run it, I had to remove it... and now it's gone.

Janak Parekh
05-18-2005, 11:09 PM
I can't remember my ancient Pocket PC Phone, but if WM9 was built into the ROM when you upgraded, and you overwrote it, the only guaranteed way to get the original version back is to hard-reset -- that restores all of the apps in ROM back to a useable state.

Alternatively, you can try uninstalling WM8 and soft-resetting, but I'm pretty sure that won't work.

--janak

notesguy88
05-19-2005, 04:41 AM
I can't remember my ancient Pocket PC Phone, but if WM9 was built into the ROM when you upgraded, and you overwrote it, the only guaranteed way to get the original version back is to hard-reset -- that restores all of the apps in ROM back to a useable state.

Alternatively, you can try uninstalling WM8 and soft-resetting, but I'm pretty sure that won't work.

--janak

If I recall, the "ancient" Pocket PC Phone didn't have enough ROM space. When T-Mobile provided the upgrade to Windows Mobile 2003, it actually installed WM9 in RAM.

Janak Parekh
05-19-2005, 05:07 AM
If I recall, the "ancient" Pocket PC Phone didn't have enough ROM space. When T-Mobile provided the upgrade to Windows Mobile 2003, it actually installed WM9 in RAM.
That's not what I recall. The original HTC Pocket PC Phone had 32MB of ROM, I believe, and that was sufficient for a full WM2003 install. Then of course, I didn't use WMP much on my Pocket PC Phone...

In any case, if it was a RAM install, it wasn't part of the upgrade -- it would have been a post-upgrade install that would have been done through ActiveSync. In that case, you'd need the EXE/CAB file to reinstall the software. I'm quite sure I didn't do that when I upgraded the phone. Again, though, I don't remember what version of WMP I used on it.

--janak