View Full Version : Sony PSP - My Son just showed me his - got a question

csterns
05-18-2005, 03:57 AM
OK, I know this is way off topic but who better than this group to ask a techie question in light of Windows Mobile 5 coming up.

I just looked at this amazing little device and was floored by the video image that I am tempted to purchase one just for viedo viewing (I am not into game or music playing). But, before I did I thought I'd ask this group if anyone knew if there was something out now or coming down the pike I should hold out for?

Does a Pocket PC exist that matches the video screen quality of the Sony PSP or is something being developed that will? Any recommedations or suggestions?

Darius Wey
05-18-2005, 04:21 AM
The PSP resolution is 480x272. It also has 24-bit colour. Now if you're not all that fussy about the colour, then I believe a VGA (640x480) at the current standard 16-bit colour would suit you nicer. Perhaps the iPAQ hx4700 with its 4" screen?

Now having said that, we may see some 24-bit screens in the upcoming Pocket PCs with Windows Mobile 5, although time will tell whether vendors decide to walk that path.

Sven Johannsen
05-18-2005, 04:44 AM
I don't think the PSP has all that much storage for videos though, does it. I would think you could easily best that with a 4700. If you are looking for video watching, have you considered a Portable Media Center. I think what it brings to the table over some of the other portable media players is some very nice sync functions when used with MP10 on a PC.

Menneisyys
05-18-2005, 07:49 AM
OK, I know this is way off topic but who better than this group to ask a techie question in light of Windows Mobile 5 coming up.

I just looked at this amazing little device and was floored by the video image that I am tempted to purchase one just for viedo viewing (I am not into game or music playing). But, before I did I thought I'd ask this group if anyone knew if there was something out now or coming down the pike I should hold out for?

Does a Pocket PC exist that matches the video screen quality of the Sony PSP or is something being developed that will? Any recommedations or suggestions?

There're pros and cons in using the PSP as a mobie video player.

Pros:
- much better screen for movie watching than on ANY PPC: it's widescreen and has much better quality than even the iPAQ hx4700/ the Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox 720 (the two PPC's with the most colorful screens).

Cons:
- Sony's expensive memory sticks... I wish the PSP had a CF/SD slot.
- no DivX/XviD compliance

I really recommend http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117577 on the subject so that you can decide for the right platform.

radish28
05-19-2005, 06:48 PM
If you want something to play videos real well the Axim X50v with Betaplayer 0.5 is your best bet. The Intel 2700g graphics accelerator makes it faster at decoding video than any other ppc (though at 100% playing speed this really makes little difference, except in high action scenes). It has a CF and SD slot as well, perfect for a 4gb or more CF card :wink:. Also the 3.7" screen is great, I personally love watching videos on my Axim.

Dermot81
05-21-2005, 09:59 PM
Any PPC with a VGA screen (4700 or x50v) will play videos comparably to the PSP.

Color might be a little sharper on the PSP, but you can encode higher on the 4700/x50v, so quality will be higher.