View Full Version : Wonky Wifi router

merk1821
05-17-2005, 08:10 AM
Just wanted to know if this has happened to any other PPCT members. I own an SMC 7004VWBR 80211b router with a HP Jornada 567 and a Linksys WCF12 CF Wifi card. All of a sudden my PDA/wifi card cant connect to the SMC router. I thought it at first that i had another bum Linksys card until i tried it out on a friendly WIfi network. Miracle!! it connected. I did a quick warwalk and wardrive and i was able to detect and connect to other WIfi network. I came home and was able to connect to my home network. But i havent been able to my home network again but i have been able to connect to other Wfi networks.I have tried firmware upgrades, lastest driversetc but with little luck.

So:

Anyone else have this happen to them?
Any remedies or solutions?
Or am i looking at a new Wifi router?

Merkman

doughboy
05-17-2005, 03:07 PM
It could be a number of different things, but I just finished fixing my connections problems (14 hours of work), which presented similarly. I believe my problems at least partially resulted from a power surge.

Linksys support was quite helpful for my Linksys router. I realize you have an SMC, but you may wish to contact SMC support. Go through all of the troubleshooting direction provided. If the issue cannot be resolved with the verbal support provided, you may wish to search Linksys.com's knowledge base. Many of the solutions work with routers, in general.

Can you connect to the router with another wireless device? If so, it could be either router configurations, wireless card configurations, or a problem with your broadband provider. Does the other device even detect the router signal? If not, it could be the router.

My problem ended up being that my broadband provider had too many "devices" registered and was blocking assignment of an IP address to my wireless device. It took a couple of calls to their 1st & 2nd level support to resolve the issue.

The last step I wanted to take (and the last one I did take) was to deal with my cable Internet provider; however, I wish that would have been my first call. It would have saved me hours of work. If your broadband company has something messed up on its side, you may not know about it.

Best Wishes.