View Full Version : Verizon Wireless Announces New Data Plans, i730

Janak Parekh
05-17-2005, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.vzw.com/news/2005/05/pr2005-05-16.html' target='_blank'>http://news.vzw.com/news/2005/05/pr2005-05-16.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"...this summer when Verizon Wireless offers Samsung’s new SCH-i730, featuring Microsoft’s Windows MobileTM Pocket PC 2nd Edition software. Working on the go is a breeze with features such as built-in support for EV-DO and Bluetooth® for quick wireless access to the Internet. Additionally, the i730 integrates an SDI/O expansion slot for memory expansion and additional productivity applications that can be easily loaded to the device."</i><br /><br />Verizon had a new PR about data plans; while the news on the data plans was mixed (1xRTT for laptops cut $20, 1xEV-DO for laptops remains the same, PDA pricing remains the same despite how the PR reads), they at least confirmed the i730's imminent release this summer. I hope summer means <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_solstice">June 21</a>, not September 20. ;) I'm also hopeful that they'll include the DUN profile for BT, seeing as how they're prominently advertising Bluetooth in the blurb. Alas, no mention of WM5; while Verizon Wireless has been pretty good about upgrades on their earlier Samsung units, it typically takes them a long time to push it out.

ADBrown
05-17-2005, 08:00 PM
I must be some special kind of idiot. When I first looked at that paragraph, I read it as saying that 1xRTT for laptops was going to be cut TO $20. I'd have to be an incredible idiot to think that Verizon would actually offer a reasonably priced service that was competitive with Cingular and T-Mobile's $20 offerings.

MsInferno
05-17-2005, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the post... Called VZW and was able to save $20 on the aircard monthly amount since EVDO isn't available in my area and I use NationalAccess all the time anyway...

xoxoxo

Janak Parekh
05-17-2005, 08:05 PM
I must be some special kind of idiot. When I first looked at that paragraph, I read it as saying that 1xRTT for laptops was going to be cut TO $20. I'd have to be an incredible idiot to think that Verizon would actually offer a reasonably priced service that was competitive with Cingular and T-Mobile's $20 offerings.
Considering that 1xRTT is several times faster than GPRS, I don't see why Verizon would price it at $20. ;)

Thanks for the post... Called VZW and was able to save $20 on the aircard monthly amount since EVDO isn't available in my area and I use NationalAccess all the time anyway...
Glad to hear, although what I really want is the EVDO. :D

--janak

gorkon280
05-17-2005, 08:34 PM
Unless I am reading this wrong, it's worse. Unlimited 1XRTT packagaes do not exist anymore. Only thing that is there is the 20 MB and 60 MB packages and even with the reduction, it's STILL priced too high.

ADBrown
05-17-2005, 08:35 PM
Considering that 1xRTT is several times faster than GPRS, I don't see why Verizon would price it at $20. ;)

(Shrug) Much good it does when there are barely any good gadgets that run on Verizon. And EDGE is actually faster than 1xRTT.

Guttrhead
05-17-2005, 08:39 PM
Noone in the US has EDGE service though. Also the word is that Verizon is pulling out the Wi-Fi.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000443043614/

DaleReeck
05-17-2005, 08:53 PM
Unless I am reading this wrong, it's worse. Unlimited 1XRTT packagaes do not exist anymore. Only thing that is there is the 20 MB and 60 MB packages and even with the reduction, it's STILL priced too high.

You could just use minutes for data instead of a dedicated data plan. Unless VZW stops that outright of course. Currently, they "unofficially" support it, meaning that they don't tell you about it, but it still works :) But with more PDA phones coming and EVDO being rolled out, all that may change. Also, while minutes for data works with 1X, I'd be surprised if they allowed it for EVDO.

DaleReeck
05-17-2005, 09:02 PM
"...this summer when Verizon Wireless offers Samsung’s new SCH-i730, featuring Microsoft’s Windows MobileTM Pocket PC 2nd Edition software. Working on the go is a breeze with features such as built-in support for EV-DO and Bluetooth® for quick wireless access to the Internet. Additionally, the i730 integrates an SDI/O expansion slot for memory expansion and additional productivity applications that can be easily loaded to the device."

Verizon had a new PR about data plans; while the news on the data plans was mixed (1xRTT for laptops cut $20, 1xEV-DO for laptops remains the same, PDA pricing remains the same despite how the PR reads), they at least confirmed the i730's imminent release this summer. I hope summer means June 21 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_solstice), not September 20. ;) I'm also hopeful that they'll include the DUN profile for BT, seeing as how they're prominently advertising Bluetooth in the blurb. Alas, no mention of WM5; while Verizon Wireless has been pretty good about upgrades on their earlier Samsung units, it typically takes them a long time to push it out.

But you do know that it will be closer to September than June, right? I mean, you do know that, right? :D

It looks like there will be no WiFi, which strikes it off my list. Big surprise there. Verizon's greed in one area (keeping WiFi out of their phones) is costing them in others (not selling phones, which means not selling service). When will they learn?

Rob Borek
05-17-2005, 09:39 PM

I pay $40 per month for 7MB. Now THAT'S priced too high!

(damn Canadian mobile phone monopolies - 3 players, but no competition)

ADBrown
05-17-2005, 09:52 PM
Noone in the US has EDGE service though.

Actually, Cingular has a very large EDGE network, covering most of their territory.

Janak Parekh
05-17-2005, 11:43 PM
And EDGE is actually faster than 1xRTT.
In theory, although practical reports have suggested that current 1xRTT deployments are faster than EDGE deployments. UMTS is the real elixir for GSM.

(And, does Cingular really offer a useable EDGE plan for $20 anyway?)

--janak

Janak Parekh
05-17-2005, 11:44 PM
It looks like there will be no WiFi, which strikes it off my list. Big surprise there.
I'm assuming you're basing this off of a few recent reports. I've actually heard it both ways, so there's still no consensus. Anyway, Verizon feels no need to "learn", as their coverage is helping them get good growth rates. Unfortunately, we're not the mass public and our requests matter much less. :(

--janak

rmac
05-18-2005, 01:04 AM
It looks like there will be no WiFi, which strikes it off my list. Big surprise there. Verizon's greed in one area (keeping WiFi out of their phones) is costing them in others (not selling phones, which means not selling service). When will they learn?

I recently switched to an unlimited data plan with Verizon and am in an EVDO region. Since the switch I haven't used my SD Wifi card. There is no need, since EVDO is so fast.

The reason why I switched to unlimited is that Verizon started charging me $0.015 per kb rather than charging just minutes. It's fairly expensive. With discount plans to certain companies, the unlimited data is less than $40 per month. Of course, with unlimited data, my data usage has gone way up.

DaleReeck
05-18-2005, 02:28 AM

I recently switched to an unlimited data plan with Verizon and am in an EVDO region. Since the switch I haven't used my SD Wifi card. There is no need, since EVDO is so fast.

The reason why I switched to unlimited is that Verizon started charging me $0.015 per kb rather than charging just minutes. It's fairly expensive. With discount plans to certain companies, the unlimited data is less than $40 per month. Of course, with unlimited data, my data usage has gone way up.

EVDO is fast enough to make up for lack of WiFi in many cases but unfortunately, most parts of the country don't have EVDO yet. I doubt my area (Buffalo NY) will get WiFi any time soon. Plus, WiFi is still faster and I have access both at work and home. So WiFi is still imortant even with EVDO in my opinion.

DaleReeck
05-18-2005, 02:32 AM
It looks like there will be no WiFi, which strikes it off my list. Big surprise there.
I'm assuming you're basing this off of a few recent reports. I've actually heard it both ways, so there's still no consensus. Anyway, Verizon feels no need to "learn", as their coverage is helping them get good growth rates. Unfortunately, we're not the mass public and our requests matter much less. :(

--janak

I would tend to believe the reports since VZW didn't mention WiFi in the press release (but did EVDO and bluetooth). I'm assuming they would mention it if it were there.

I would also think that they would still sell more devices and service if they had a larger and wider variety phone choice. They may have excellent market share now, but they could even eek out even more customers (i.e., more corporate customers) if they had WiFi. There's no such thing as too many customers :)

ADBrown
05-18-2005, 07:44 AM
And EDGE is actually faster than 1xRTT.
In theory, although practical reports have suggested that current 1xRTT deployments are faster than EDGE deployments. UMTS is the real elixir for GSM.

(And, does Cingular really offer a useable EDGE plan for $20 anyway?)

Speed tests I've seen indicate 1xRTT topping out around 120, and EDGE around 150. Really, I don't even care, as I don't subscribe to either service, but I don't see Verizon as having even the minimal redeeming quality of a faster data network.

Cingular's $20 MediaWorks has EDGE. You need to have a little knowledge in order to use it for aircard service, but if you're quibbling over 1xRTT vs. EDGE, I think you've got a little knowledge. :lol: