View Full Version : Axim X50V vs HP RX3715

spidiemonkey
05-16-2005, 11:59 PM
Which is the better choice(considering cost)? I would use digital camera a lot, media a lot, games, and all the basics........ 0X

applejosh
05-17-2005, 03:33 AM
Well, if camera is important, the axim doesn't have one. Eventually, the X50v would probably be better for gaming given the dedicated graphics chip and that it's VGA. Both will probably do media equally well (although video might look better on the VGA screen). Also, the X50v should have an upgrade to Windows Mobile 5 when it is released (will be a paid upgrade I'm guessing). The rx3715 is apparently the red-headed step child of HP and will not be offered an upgrade.

I have the rx3715 now, but if I could go back a few months, I'd slap myself and tell me to get the Dell. I do like the rx3715, but I kick myself almost daily for not getting a PPC with VGA. Although in standard configurations, the battery life on the rx is awesome (get the extended battery for the X50v if you plan on being mobile while watching videos, etc.). (Oh, and the X50v has a CF slot if needed.)

Menneisyys
05-17-2005, 08:06 AM
Which is the better choice(considering cost)? I would use digital camera a lot, media a lot, games, and all the basics........ 0X

I agree with applejosh. Get the x50v. The rx3715 won't receive the WM5 upgrade and has some problems (like the iPAQ File Store).

As for the camera, even the lowest-end digicam (from a decent camera manufacturer, that is - this means NO Mustek, no Aosta etc) produces orders of magnitude better pictures than the built-in camera in the rx3715. There is just no comparison. Get a separate digital camera: say, a Canon Digital Ixus or a HP R707/R717, just to name a fewl inexpensive, but very good cameras.

Darius Wey
05-17-2005, 12:31 PM

I probably can't offer much more of a compelling reason that hasn't been mentioned already, but looking at your needs/wants, it seems like you'd appreciate the VGA screen on the X50v a lot more than the QVGA screen on the rx3715. Not sure if you've compared them before, but once you lay eyes on a VGA screen, you'd definitely pick it without hesitation.

micho
06-10-2005, 12:51 PM
Hi...do a little due dilligence first...I also use my PDA to take pictures almost on a daily basis due to my line of work....couldn't live with that feature. Went from a Clie TJ37 to a rx3715. Although you run at risks with the rx3715 given the storage file issues brought up, it does have a tremendous battery life (8hrs!!); the x50 has less than 3. The extended battery adds some 3 hours more and does add a lot of bulk!!

http://www.imagehosting.us/imagehosting/showimg.jpg/?id=525077

applejosh
06-10-2005, 09:16 PM
As I sit waiting for a replacement rx3715 to arrive, I wish I had gotten the X50v. (I was bitten by the file store bug.)

Patrick Y.
06-12-2005, 02:44 AM
In my opinion, there is no competitions at all between hx3750 and x50v. x50v is clearly FAR better. It has VGA screen, faster CPU, etc. hx3750 is already a little behind compare to today's standard. Like others said, only x50v will get an upgrade.

Hrun
06-12-2005, 11:58 AM
I agree with applejosh. Get the x50v. The rx3715 won't receive the WM5 upgrade and has some problems (like the iPAQ File Store).

As for the camera, even the lowest-end digicam (from a decent camera manufacturer, that is - this means NO Mustek, no Aosta etc) produces orders of magnitude better pictures than the built-in camera in the rx3715. There is just no comparison. Get a separate digital camera: say, a Canon Digital Ixus or a HP R707/R717, just to name a fewl inexpensive, but very good cameras.

I have an olympus camera and an rx3715. Yes the camera is better at photos, but... I do not carry it with me all the time, whereas I always have the rx. Movies on the rx are great and clear even though it does not have vga and the battery life excels.

What is the file store problem, I am not aware of this

HTH Giles

applejosh
06-13-2005, 02:25 PM
The file store problem seems to happen when you fill the ipaq file store up to 2/3 or 3/4 full. At that point, it becomes read-only. You can't write to it or format it. That means you can't delete things off of it, either. It doesn't seem to happen to all rx3715's, which is probably why HP hasn't issued a fix (or even a statement).

As an aside, in case you haven't already heard this, the TAP program at CompUSA is junk. (Not only did they change it to "express" mail replacement instead of the carry-in program, but it really isn't express, unless you're a snail or something.)