View Full Version : PocketMac Updated With Tiger Support

Janak Parekh
05-16-2005, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketmac.net/updates.html' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketmac.net/updates.html</a><br /><br /></div>Have a Mac with the new OS X 10.4 (Tiger)? You may have noticed existing sync solutions have stopped working. The good news is that PocketMac has and is in the process of upgrading their entire line of products to support Tiger; the Pocket PC and Smartphone editions are now available.

elehcdn
05-16-2005, 08:17 PM
Have a Mac with the new OS X 10.4 (Tiger)? You may have noticed existing sync solutions have stopped working. The good news is that PocketMac has and is in the process of upgrading their entire line of products to support Tiger; the Pocket PC and Smartphone editions are now available.

Just downloaded and sync'ed my PPC. Seems to work fine, although the whole iSync thing is a bit strange in Tiger.

Pixelnose
05-16-2005, 08:19 PM
v3.44 was actually working on my g4 ibook with Tiger, but so is the new version. :)

You should see the Markspace mailing list, it's full of people talking about Pocketmac. ;)

FuzzyClam
05-16-2005, 08:38 PM
Have a Mac with the new OS X 10.4 (Tiger)? You may have noticed existing sync solutions have stopped working. The good news is that PocketMac has and is in the process of upgrading their entire line of products to support Tiger; the Pocket PC and Smartphone editions are now available.

Just downloaded and sync'ed my PPC. Seems to work fine, although the whole iSync thing is a bit strange in Tiger.

It seems to have been rewritten to take advantage of the sync engine in Tiger. It's very smooth now with my SX66. I haven't gotten any kernel panics when I pull the SX66 off the cradle like I did under Panther. The fields seem to work better with iCal syncing than they used to. I had switched to Entourage for this reason, but it seems I can now go back and use all the extra integration that iCal &amp; Address Book offers using Tiger.

It's taken a long time, but the PocketMac folks seem to have finally gotten it together.

Why would the MissingSync mailing liist be full of PocketMac stuff? Maybe they're all bumming because PocketMac's upgrade works for free whereas you have to pay for Mark/Space's whenever it comes out.

paul

gorkon280
05-16-2005, 10:00 PM

It seems to have been rewritten to take advantage of the sync engine in Tiger. It's very smooth now with my SX66. I haven't gotten any kernel panics when I pull the SX66 off the cradle like I did under Panther. The fields seem to work better with iCal syncing than they used to. I had switched to Entourage for this reason, but it seems I can now go back and use all the extra integration that iCal &amp; Address Book offers using Tiger.

It's taken a long time, but the PocketMac folks seem to have finally gotten it together.

Why would the MissingSync mailing liist be full of PocketMac stuff? Maybe they're all bumming because PocketMac's upgrade works for free whereas you have to pay for Mark/Space's whenever it comes out.

paul

That would be it. Mark Space had a good product and it worked very well (for me anyway). I personally don't need/want the Entourage syncing. Just give me a improved version of what I had and I would have been very happy. THEN work on the upgrade/update.

silica
05-16-2005, 10:11 PM
What they haven't fixed is the sync function for Entourage Notes. In the old version, it was a plug-in. In the new version, it seems to be a separate applicaton. It crashes on startup, even now with Mac OS 10.4. I notified the developer months ago about the problem, and they replied they were aware of the issue. Months went by with no fix. I'm certainly disappointed to see the new version still has the same problem.

FuzzyClam
05-16-2005, 10:22 PM
Hmmm...I don't use this, and since it's not part of the new SyncEngine, it probably wasn't updated. I'd guess they're really focused on the Calendar/Task/Contacts.

Bummer it's not working.

I had pretty good luck with their tech support. Awhile back, they outsourced it, so you'd get a tracking #, and reply from their support group. You might want to try them again, as I'm quite sure they've had some growing pains which might or might not be solved.

Good luck,
paul

PPCMD
05-17-2005, 12:42 AM
Yeah baby, yeah. PocketMAC 3.44 worked fine and I can't wait to install 3.45 now.

emuelle1
05-17-2005, 01:25 AM
That's comforting. This is almost blaspheme for a 9 year Wintel geek, but I'm getting tired of wrestling with Windows to the point that I'm seriously starting to look at Mac. So it's good to know that I can still do what I need Windows to do.

dma1965
05-17-2005, 06:49 AM
That's comforting. This is almost blaspheme for a 9 year Wintel geek, but I'm getting tired of wrestling with Windows to the point that I'm seriously starting to look at Mac. So it's good to know that I can still do what I need Windows to do.

Do it ! You will not regret it for a minute. I manage a total windows network, and do it all from the comfort of my Powerbook. I do use virtual PC, and VNC, and terminal services, but I still have the stability of the greatest OS ever written...OS X. I use PocketMac to sync, and it does what I need just fine. I always liked my windows machines, but I LOVE my Mac !!!! :ppclove:

Jonathan1
05-17-2005, 07:46 AM
Do it ! You will not regret it for a minute. I manage a total windows network, and do it all from the comfort of my Powerbook. I do use virtual PC, and VNC, and terminal services, but I still have the stability of the greatest OS ever written...OS X. I use PocketMac to sync, and it does what I need just fine. I always liked my windows machines, but I LOVE my Mac !!!! :ppclove:

Give me an updated PowerBook and I would have been on the Mac platform last year. I'm really not trying to go off topic but its one of my top pet peeves. Unlike the PowerMac that is at least in the ballpark of where the industry is the PowerBook is so far behind that is down right sad. No 7200 RPM drives, no DDR2 RAM, 167Mhz FSB, no PCI Express video that spending 2.5 grand on a PowerBook seems. Dare I whisper the word? :worried: insane. I hold out hope that one of two things will happen at WWDC:
1. A honest to god REAL update to the PowerBook line will occur with a new FreeScale CPU that is either dual core. (Prob not.) or at the very least brings the FSB in line with the industry so the bottleneck that is currently hampering the PowerBook line ends.
2. The Mac mini is updated so it gets a 5400 RPM drive across the line (What you think spotlight enjoys a 4800 RPM drive when it accesses its indexes?) and an updated GPU to offload more of the eye candy from the CPU to the GPU.
Until then I'm still a 2+ year fence sitter that gets slammed on Macrumors as being a troll. Not a troll. Just someone frustrated at Apple lackadaisical approach to hardware updates. I swear that company can’t see 6 months in front of their face. But that’s going even farther off topic so I will stop. Sorry. Just a Micro-rant.

FuzzyClam
05-17-2005, 12:55 PM

Give me an updated PowerBook and I would have been on the Mac platform last year. I'm really not trying to go off topic but its one of my top pet peeves. Unlike the PowerMac that is at least in the ballpark of where the industry is the PowerBook is so far behind that is down right sad. No 7200 RPM drives, no DDR2 RAM, 167Mhz FSB, no PCI Express video that spending 2.5 grand on a PowerBook seems. Dare I whisper the word? :worried: insane. I hold out hope that one of two things will happen at WWDC:
1. A honest to god REAL update to the PowerBook line will occur with a new FreeScale CPU that is either dual core. (Prob not.) or at the very least brings the FSB in line with the industry so the bottleneck that is currently hampering the PowerBook line ends.
2. The Mac mini is updated so it gets a 5400 RPM drive across the line (What you think spotlight enjoys a 4800 RPM drive when it accesses its indexes?) and an updated GPU to offload more of the eye candy from the CPU to the GPU.
Until then I'm still a 2+ year fence sitter that gets slammed on Macrumors as being a troll. Not a troll. Just someone frustrated at Apple lackadaisical approach to hardware updates. I swear that company can’t see 6 months in front of their face. But that’s going even farther off topic so I will stop. Sorry. Just a Micro-rant.

If you look at a $2.5K offering (for the 17") on a ThinkPad or Dell, they probably don't have all those things either. A 7200 rpm drive has never never been a standard offering...maybe now that 100GB 5400 drives are hitting the market they will.

You talk about PowerBooks, but you then jump to the MacMini...$2-2.5K vs. 500$. Completely different things. For the average user, does 4800 vs. 5400 make a huge difference to typing e-mails, browsing the web, and loading tunes on your iPod? No.

FSB? From my System Profiler on my one year old PB ($2.5K):

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 17"
Machine Model: PowerBook5,5
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.5 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.8.4f1

Looks like 167Mhz to me...why isn't a 64 or 128Mb Radeon 9700 GPU good enough? You want to play Doom3 on your laptop? I get about 20-25FPS on my rig. Not good enough for me, but I can play about any other game out there on my laptop. I believe they're now Radeon 9800's.

You'll see a dual-core in a laptop when you can accept a 10 minute battery life on a full charge. No one's going to do that anytime soon.

No computer company sees more than 6 months in front of their face. Shareholders demand a 3 month horizon. Sad, but true. They have to be working on three products simultaneously: what's out now, what's coming in 6 months, and what's coming in 12-18 months when the technology for that might not even exist yet. Plus, Apple's competing against the hordes (Asus, Abit, Intel, etc.) designing new hardware.

You demands are quite unrealistic given the state of the market at this time. "So far behind"? I don't think so. I can understand the troll comments when having anything but the absolute latest and greatest is being "so far behind" and sad. With that attitude, you'll always be on the fence because any laptop you buy is going to be outdated in 6 months.

Anyone who needs the kind of horse power you demand is not buying a laptop. They're getting dual-G5 iron for serious crunching, and an iBook or 12" PowerBook for the road. Go look at Alienware's gaming laptops. They ain't cheap and are very heavy. Is that worth it?

p

gorkon280
05-17-2005, 03:27 PM
If you look at a $2.5K offering (for the 17") on a ThinkPad or Dell, they probably don't have all those things either. A 7200 rpm drive has never never been a standard offering...maybe now that 100GB 5400 drives are hitting the market they will.

You talk about PowerBooks, but you then jump to the MacMini...$2-2.5K vs. 500$. Completely different things. For the average user, does 4800 vs. 5400 make a huge difference to typing e-mails, browsing the web, and loading tunes on your iPod? No.

FSB? From my System Profiler on my one year old PB ($2.5K):

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 17"
Machine Model: PowerBook5,5
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.5 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.8.4f1

Looks like 167Mhz to me...why isn't a 64 or 128Mb Radeon 9700 GPU good enough? You want to play Doom3 on your laptop? I get about 20-25FPS on my rig. Not good enough for me, but I can play about any other game out there on my laptop. I believe they're now Radeon 9800's.

You'll see a dual-core in a laptop when you can accept a 10 minute battery life on a full charge. No one's going to do that anytime soon.

No computer company sees more than 6 months in front of their face. Shareholders demand a 3 month horizon. Sad, but true. They have to be working on three products simultaneously: what's out now, what's coming in 6 months, and what's coming in 12-18 months when the technology for that might not even exist yet. Plus, Apple's competing against the hordes (Asus, Abit, Intel, etc.) designing new hardware.

You demands are quite unrealistic given the state of the market at this time. "So far behind"? I don't think so. I can understand the troll comments when having anything but the absolute latest and greatest is being "so far behind" and sad. With that attitude, you'll always be on the fence because any laptop you buy is going to be outdated in 6 months.

Anyone who needs the kind of horse power you demand is not buying a laptop. They're getting dual-G5 iron for serious crunching, and an iBook or 12" PowerBook for the road. Go look at Alienware's gaming laptops. They ain't cheap and are very heavy. Is that worth it?

p

Yeah, he's kind of comparing Apple's and oranges. The clock speed isn't everything. My Thinkpad which I JUST got and JUST came out is 1.7 GHz. The ONLY way laptops are going to go as high as a desktop is if the thing WEIGHS 10 POUNDS! YOU might like lugging that firebreather, but I sure don't.

I edit VIDEO on my 12 inch Powerbook (1 Ghz). I do ANYTHING I could ever want to do adn it;s as fast as my new thinkpad which is suppsoed to be faster. Add another 512 MB of ram to my PB and it's going to scream. While I agree, there's some wanting a G5 in the powerbook, but it's going to take a while longer for this to happen. You'll see dual core G4's before a G5 OR a Tablet Mac.

I am extremely disappointed in Mark Space, but I will likely buy the new version when it comes out because it's only 20 bucks. IN the meantime, I will just back my PDA up and sync my calendar to my groupwise account at work.

Janak Parekh
05-17-2005, 06:08 PM
Yeah, he's kind of comparing Apple's and oranges. The clock speed isn't everything. My Thinkpad which I JUST got and JUST came out is 1.7 GHz.
I think Jonathan1 is pointing out the fact that the Powerbooks' front speed bus (FSB) is slower than current Intel/AMD-based notebooks, even though the CPUs are similar in clock speed.

However, having used a Windows-based notebook for the last few years (and currently using a tablet PC), I find XP rather frustratingly slow on a notebook, especially when the processor is stepped down in battery mode. I've heard better things about OS X on notebooks.

Anyway... that said, we're getting seriously offtopic, so let's move the discussion back onto Mac syncing please. There's so much debates about the Mac-PC world everywhere else. ;)

--janak

optimistique1
03-05-2006, 12:35 PM
I don't know if any of you guys can help me out with this.

I just bought a iPaq RX 1950 with Windows Mobile 5.0.

I can only sync with MACs and I do not own a PC and I am having problems.

I tried to set up Active Sync 4.1 on my Virtual PC but for some reason it won't connect to the PPC. When I go into the Hardware manager it has an exclamation mark by the side of the PPC icon. I have reinstalled/uninstalled with no joy, can anyone please HELP!!!

I have also tried 'missing sync' and 'pocketMac Pro', but they are not compatible with WM5.

Can someone PLEASE help as my PPC is useless to me at the moment :cry:

Many thanks

Garry

virgolibra
10-02-2006, 08:24 PM
I've got an HP2200 iPaq pocket pc and I can't seem to sync via bluetooth anymore after updating to the latest Pocket Mac. I even tried updating mac os x to version 10.4.8. When I try syncing via bluetooh I can see it trying but it always fails. help! :cry:

virgolibra
10-02-2006, 08:27 PM
optimistique1, if you're using an intel mac, try using Parallels. I've got a macbook and got it work with parallels with no issues however I want to continue using entourage for mac so I still need pocket pc...