View Full Version : New i-mate JAM ROM Update Available for Download

Darius Wey
05-13-2005, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.clubimate.com/t-jam.aspx' target='_blank'>http://www.clubimate.com/t-jam.aspx</a><br /><br /></div><i>"ROM builds with radio versions 1.05.00 and 1.10.00 all include audio enhancements for voice calls. Radio build 1.11.00 includes improved support for Cell Broadcast and SIM Toolkit applications. All new builds contain the improved camera driver and fix for 'No Bluetooth Hardware' bug. ROM builds 1.11.00 also includes a new MMS client for improved network compatibility and an upgrade to the Operating System. The North American 850 build includes support for more T-Mobile SIM subscriptions."</i><br /><br />A new ROM update for the i-mate JAM is available to registered users of <a href="http://www.clubimate.com/">'club i-mate'</a>. To download it, click <a href="http://www.clubimate.com/t-jam.aspx">here</a>.

rlobrecht
05-13-2005, 08:14 PM
I downloaded it (it took about ten tries - their downloads are brutally slow) but I haven't had time to load it yet.

Anybody tried it?

ignar
05-13-2005, 09:32 PM
I downloaded it (it took about ten tries - their downloads are brutally slow) but I haven't had time to load it yet.

Anybody tried it?

I did it last night. I forgot to disable ActiveSync USB connection and waited more than an hour wondering what was going on. The second try went without a problem. I haven't noticed much difference from the patch, but my JAM was pretty stable and working great before the patch anyway. Like any ROM update, loading a new ROM will hard reset the unit. So make sure you make good backup.

ventivent
05-13-2005, 09:34 PM
Installed the new ROM last night. Everything seems to be fine so far. Haven't really noticed any differences in performance, but then again, I haven't had any problems with my JAM all along.

ignar
05-13-2005, 09:39 PM
I love your signature, ventivent. :mrgreen:

UCCOFFEE
05-14-2005, 01:37 AM
I had send a email to O2 and ask them when will they have a upgrade, and they said it's in final evaluation... i really hope they are telling the truth... I have been waiting a upgrade from O2 for months, and imate had release 2 or 3 upgrade already..... o2 is slack... I ll never buy that brand next time....

Jon Westfall
05-14-2005, 01:52 AM
I had send a email to O2 and ask them when will they have a upgrade, and they said it's in final evaluation... i really hope they are telling the truth... I have been waiting a upgrade from O2 for months, and imate had release 2 or 3 upgrade already..... o2 is slack... I ll never buy that brand next time....

As far as device upgrades go, iMate really can't be beat, they reliably release updates every 6 months at the most. Patches come out reasonably fast, and clubimate.com has some nice features for subscribers. Now I just have to wait for the Universal to come out before I get another chance to play there more.

Darius Wey
05-14-2005, 03:17 AM

O2 has always been slow in that department. With so many variants of the HTC product line, I honestly recommend looking to i-mate first if you want stellar support and frequent product updates for your device.

laugher
05-14-2005, 06:40 AM
O2 has always been slow in that department. With so many variants of the HTC product line, I honestly recommend looking to i-mate first if you want stellar support and frequent product updates for your device.
If the Jam and the Mini have the same hardware, wouldn't it be safe to assume that a ROM replacement wouldn't do it any harm? Assuming your Mini is out of warranty and you are a risk taker of course. 8)

laugher
05-14-2005, 06:44 AM
A new ROM update for the i-mate JAM is available to registered users of 'club i-mate' (http://www.clubimate.com/). To download it, click here (http://www.clubimate.com/t-jam.aspx).

Anyone who has connections inside iMate or O2 hear of plans for the Jam/Mini to get a Windows Mobile v5 OS upgrade?

Darius Wey
05-14-2005, 07:15 AM
If the Jam and the Mini have the same hardware, wouldn't it be safe to assume that a ROM replacement wouldn't do it any harm? Assuming your Mini is out of warranty and you are a risk taker of course. 8)

There are still some slight modifications on the inside that would make such a cross-device flash job a little risky. I wouldn't suggest it, but if you want to, be my guest (but don't hold me liable). :lol:

Darius Wey
05-14-2005, 07:17 AM
Anyone who has connections inside iMate or O2 hear of plans for the Jam/Mini to get a Windows Mobile v5 OS upgrade?

The word is it's highly unlikely. i-mate are expected to release some new products with Windows Mobile 5 in the near future, but nothing by way of ROM upgrades for their existing devices.

laugher
05-14-2005, 07:32 AM
The word is it's highly unlikely. i-mate are expected to release some new products with Windows Mobile 5 in the near future, but nothing by way of ROM upgrades for their existing devices.
I suggest O2 users all write to O2 now. Seeing as the IIs (and now the IIi) and the Mini are fairly recent releases of their range, I would be extremely disappointed to see that they do not support their existing loyal customer base.

beq
05-14-2005, 12:14 PM
So I take it no one had a problem backing up their files/data before the ROM upgrade, then just restoring (to the new ROM version)?

I use Sprite Backup and it has a special restore option to "Enable Device Upgrade mode", but from their forum it almost seems like a hit-and-miss proposition, and they usually recommend to try it but if it doesn't work then you'd still have to hard reset and reinstall the applications one by one. So I was thinking it might be safer to just reinstall the apps to our JAM one by one again?

In fact I'd also upgraded the ROM on my PDA2k a little earlier (using jwright's ROM), and I'm planning to reinstall the apps manually there too. The problem is that it just takes sooo much time!

Jon Westfall
05-14-2005, 02:35 PM

There are still some slight modifications on the inside that would make such a cross-device flash job a little risky. I wouldn't suggest it, but if you want to, be my guest (but don't hold me liable). :lol:

I know with the imate Pocket PC some protection was built in so that cross-platform flashings couldn't be done easily (requiring the use of a tool such as the extended rom editor from xda-developers.com). If you're really anxious to get this rom, heading over there might get you in contact with others who have dones so.

Jon.

Jonathon Watkins
05-14-2005, 11:22 PM
I love your signature, ventivent. :mrgreen:

Yup. It sums up what convergence is all about. Nice. :)

Jason Lee
05-15-2005, 03:21 PM
So I take it no one had a problem backing up their files/data before the ROM upgrade, then just restoring (to the new ROM version)?

I use Sprite Backup and it has a special restore option to "Enable Device Upgrade mode", but from their forum it almost seems like a hit-and-miss proposition, and they usually recommend to try it but if it doesn't work then you'd still have to hard reset and reinstall the applications one by one. So I was thinking it might be safer to just reinstall the apps to our JAM one by one again?

In fact I'd also upgraded the ROM on my PDA2k a little earlier (using jwright's ROM), and I'm planning to reinstall the apps manually there too. The problem is that it just takes sooo much time!

personally i would never restore a backup from a previous rom version. If that rom update fixes anything in the registry restoring an old backup will un-fix it.
there are a few other issues that might cause problems too but the regisrty is the big one.

but man is it a pain to rebuild... :)

Pixelnose
05-15-2005, 04:50 PM
As for the WM5 upgrade, or lack thereof, it's like all the smartphone makers are saying they'd much rather you buy a Treo 650, or a Nokia Communicator, or a p910. What I mean is, for instance with the i-mate Jam, they're taking the smallest ppc around, and killing it. Here's a popular device that people like and is selling well... let's kill it. And they're telling existing customers that they can't be bothered to keep us around. Sure they'll attract new customers, but old ones? How do you feel about a company whose new device you buy in March, and it's obsolete in June? And said company is advertising this device still on their website. Not exactly ethical...

I raised these concerns when I contacted i-mate, that WM5 has lots of enhancements for smartphones, that the jam is the smallest ppc out there, and is still new, that the company is still advertising this device without full disclosure, and that it's no skin off their backs to offer a pay-for upgrade.

But because I'm just a customer I may as well be saying "blah blah blah" for all they're going to care. And i-Mate is no different from any other ppc manufacturer in that regard. All these companies would much prefer you not to buy a ppc. But we need the device, so we're all basically screwed.

Sometimes I hate PDAs. :roll:

aNiMeMaN14
06-14-2005, 06:41 AM

Anybody tried it?

I did it last night. I forgot to disable ActiveSync USB connection and waited more than an hour wondering what was going on. The second try went without a problem. I haven't noticed much difference from the patch, but my JAM was pretty stable and working great before the patch anyway. Like any ROM update, loading a new ROM will hard reset the unit. So make sure you make good backup.

How do I do this? It's been stuck on the "Checking the information on your device" screen for way too long. On my PPC, all it says is "USB v 1.00".

What the hell am I doing wrong!!