View Full Version : PPC other uses?

venge
05-12-2005, 06:19 PM
Now excuse my ignorance here but I have a question as to what else i can get my Audivox PPC6600 to do.

Can the unit be used to Change channels on my TV, it does have an IR port on it so is this an option?
Also can the unit be used possibly with another device so it can unlock the doors on my vehicle?
Can it be used to to Start my vehicle like my Comand start that is installed.
Can it be used to open my garage door.

I know that it does not send out the radio frequency or whatever is required but can a bluetooth device be used to send out the proper signal needed to do this stuff or any other feature.

Any info would help as i and a few buds that picked up this unit are quite interested as to what other options are available besides wireless headset and GPS units that we also are getting.

Thanks

Bruce

Jon Westfall
05-14-2005, 12:10 AM
All the stuff you're mentioning would require additional radios in the device to support. The remote control may be possible, utilizing a product called Total Remote by Griffin Technologies (Some PPC's have stronger IRs than others. Most new ones do not come with Consumer IR which is required to be used as an effective remote, although a few companies have been toying with SD card based remote transmitters). As for the rest, you may want to try a workaround. Maybe a radio transmitter hooked up to a PC running a secure webserver. Then you can use the Audiovox to connect to the webserver and initiate the command.

venge
05-14-2005, 07:06 AM
Thanks for the reply.

venge