View Full Version : Microsoft Streets & Trips for Pocket PC

rsteinkritz
05-11-2005, 09:01 PM
I just downloaded 2005 streets & trips onto my AXIM. When I go to progams and click on Pocket Streets. The screen shows the following: Pocket Streets- Open- Folder(it says all folders)- Type( its says pocket street maps (*.mps). How do I actually get into this ptogram and see something on the screen other than what I just mentioned? Thanks

SteveHoward999
05-11-2005, 09:37 PM
Streets & Trips won't run on your Axim - so I guess you mean you installed Pocket Streets from you Streets and Trips CD?

Anyway, you need to make a map that you can export for PPC. The maps are relatively large files, so you cannot, for instance, install the whole of the USA onto your Axim. What you can do is make a map of your local area, town, city whatever and copy that to your PDA.

Open Streets and Trips on your PC. Use your mouse to zoom into your chosen area - use your home location for now. Make your map les than 50 miles square. Depending on where you live you can get a larger area (less population = fewer roads = smaller map file) or a smaller one.

Once you can see on screen the approximate area you want a map of, select File > Export Map for Pocket Streets. Follow the prompts, and make sure you remember where you save the exported map. You might be prompted that the area is too large, if so select a smaller map area and try again.

Locate your map file on your PC (it defaults to My Documents I think ...). Copy it to your Axim.

Now when you open Pocket Streets on your PDA you will see the map you just saved. Open it and browse. You can search for an address, add pushpins, view points of interest etc etc ...

Note that you cannot create directions or a route on your PDA, you need to go back to the PC to do that. I often save the directions to Excel (Edit > Copy Directions, then Paste into Excel) and then copy the Excel file to PDA.

HTH

Steve

Sven Johannsen
05-12-2005, 03:05 AM
One point that might not be clear is that you need to create a selection rectangle on the S&T screen of an area. Click and drag diagonally like creating a rectangle with a drawing program. Then the export to pocket map option will be available, or right click and it will be in the context menu.

ethancaine
05-12-2005, 06:23 AM
The maps are relatively large files, so you cannot, for instance, install the whole of the USA onto your Axim. What you can do is make a map of your local area, town, city whatever and copy that to your PDA.

I don't know that they are very large files... It really depends on where you live. For example, the entire island of Oahu is only 754k. Los Angeles takes (I think) 4 files (max 1mb size).

Patrick Y.
05-14-2005, 01:55 AM
You can actually find lots of maps on Microsoft's website. However, most maps are below 1 MB.

Darius Wey
05-14-2005, 03:19 AM
You can actually find lots of maps on Microsoft's website. However, most maps are below 1 MB.

Here's a link: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/downloads/pocketstreets/mapdownload/psmapsearch.aspx

I've found the maps aren't 100% accurate but they do a fine job if you want basic map functionality.

SteveHoward999
05-14-2005, 04:01 AM

I never seem to visit any place where MS has been kind enough to make maps for. But since the original poster seems to have Streets and Trips (so do I), the maps on the web are of little consequence. He can make his own map quicker than he can find it and download it from MS.

Patrick Y.
05-15-2005, 12:57 AM

I never seem to visit any place where MS has been kind enough to make maps for. But since the original poster seems to have Streets and Trips (so do I), the maps on the web are of little consequence. He can make his own map quicker than he can find it and download it from MS.

For me, I like to download maps from MS. In Street&Trips, you have to find the city first. It can be very tricky sometimes since the borders of the cities aren't very clear on the map. Once, I end up creating the map for another city instead of the one I want.

SteveHoward999
05-15-2005, 06:49 PM
For me, I like to download maps from MS. In Street&Trips, you have to find the city first. It can be very tricky sometimes since the borders of the cities aren't very clear on the map. Once, I end up creating the map for another city instead of the one I want.

I've not fount that to be a problem - the search feature in Streets and Trips locates the target city easily enough.

Patrick Y.
05-15-2005, 06:53 PM

I've not fount that to be a problem - the search feature in Streets and Trips locates the target city easily enough.

You're right. Though, I'm just too stupid. :wink: