View Full Version : Microsoft Mobile 2005 upgrade for Toshiba e830 ?

stoker
05-11-2005, 08:27 PM
Does anyone know whether Toshiba would consider an upgrade to WM2005? I guess knowing their history, pretty unlikely . Just thought I would ask in case someone has been talking to the Toshiba people. Worth a shot.

SteveHoward999
05-11-2005, 09:45 PM
Actually they have been better than some, but they only seem to offer upgrades to the current machines. E750 got the 2003 upgrade. E400 and E800 got the 2003SE upgrades.

However I won't hold my breath over the latest OS upgrade. The current machines have already been upgraded once (aside from the E830 I think) and are getting long in the tooth. Plus they are no longer in the PDA market for much of the world - UK and USA for instance no longer have Toshiba PDAs available to them.

ddc
05-12-2005, 01:16 AM
There's a long discussion over at Brighthand already on this topic. I don't know one way or another, but looking at the "Magneto" specs and improvements, I don't see anything really compelling for me.

Here's my take on the updates:
WMP 10 - I've started WMP9 on my PPC, once.
Office Mobile Update - I've used Word a couple times, that's it.
MSN Messenger Update - Agile Messenger works better for me.
ActiveSync Improvements - Never use it.

I look forward to some indepth reviews once it becomes available on some devices, but I'm not too worried about whether or not my e830 gets an update.

Ripper014
05-12-2005, 05:22 AM
That's about where I am coming from as well... I do not use anything that is originally from Microsoft other than the OS, and activesync. I use third party software for everything else. As you said there is nothing compelling at this point that makes me feel I need to have WM5.

Earlier today I did send a request to Toshiba Japan to get some sort of reply regarding WM5... hopefully I get some kind of response.

pcboy2003
05-18-2005, 08:17 PM
the whole point is, Toshiba should allow us to decide rather we want to upgrade or not. some people might choose to stay with ppc2003se, that's fine, but me and many others want mageto, and Toshiba should give us the options!

PPC2005 doesn't look that excited, but HP/Dell/FSC offer their cutomers the option to have mageto on their ppc, and toshiba didn't.

Phillip Dyson
05-18-2005, 09:18 PM
The one thing that I would want to take advantage of is persistent storage.
I expectation is that there would be fewer needs for soft resets if I suddently had 128mb of ram for running programs only. I can actually have Calligrapher, WebIS mail, bluetooth open at the same time.

The idea of not losing all of my data when my battery died is also nice.

Also, the "potential" for more updates directly from Microsoft is attractive.

Other than that, there doesn't seem to be much in it for me either. :)

Darius Wey
05-18-2005, 11:59 PM
If you really want to know what the situation is regarding a Windows Mobile 5 upgrade from Toshiba, then read on.

Toshiba are still reviewing a Windows Mobile 5 upgrade considering cost, technical complexity and resource investment. They are also considering other options available - new Pocket PCs and Smartphones. However, having said that, no final decisions have yet been made about their R&D investment and technological directions in this market.

That was the word I got from a Toshiba representative sometime last week, so in short, no decision has been made yet, and based on that, I doubt it would be made anytime soon.

SteveHoward999
05-19-2005, 12:21 AM
In spite of Toshiba's apparent lack of interest, the 800 series are great machines. I'd love to see Toshiba take more interest in them and support an upgrade, even if the hardware is not configured to take best advantage of PPC 2005.

I'd also love to see them re-enter the PPC market in USA becuase they have consistently been at the front of queue for enabling advanced features in their PDAs. It would be a huge disappointment if we were permanently left with only Dell and HP in the market ...

If they could offer me a VGA or better PPC phone, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat :-)

pcboy2003
05-19-2005, 02:34 PM
That means NO, DELL/HP/FSC got the beta version of mageto long before MS introduce it to public, and it still take them another 3 months to offer the update, so if Toshiba is still "reviewing" right now, that means they just want to give consumers false hope, so that the sale of e830 will not be hurt by their decision of not offering an upgrade.

e830 is a good machine, but the biggest problem i have is the lag during start up. It takes like 5 sec before you can actually use it.
If you really want to know what the situation is regarding a Windows Mobile 5 upgrade from Toshiba, then read on.

Toshiba are still reviewing a Windows Mobile 5 upgrade considering cost, technical complexity and resource investment. They are also considering other options available - new Pocket PCs and Smartphones. However, having said that, no final decisions have yet been made about their R&D investment and technological directions in this market.

That was the word I got from a Toshiba representative sometime last week, so in short, no decision has been made yet, and based on that, I doubt it would be made anytime soon.

pcboy2003
05-19-2005, 02:36 PM
also, windows media 9 on e830 does not fully support VGA screen, and as you can see all VGA device manufactures offer windows media 10 update on their VGA device, EXCEPT toshiba!!!

There's no updates all at from toshiba for the english e830

Ripper014
05-19-2005, 04:43 PM
I don't have an issue with lag on startup... only on a soft reboot of my system... as far as WMP 10... I think it is over-rated... I have never used used it... and find that Betaplayer, GSPlayer... and/or Mortplayer fills that void...

Unless Magneto is going to speedup the OS... I really don't care... there is nothing that I have seen that makes me want it... and from Microsofts track record... my guess is that it is bigger and slower...

We need something leaner and meaner... I was playing with an HPC the other day... and it felt fast compared to what I have... and it was only running at 168mhz... though it is a 64bit Mips processor... I believe it was a NEC MobilePro 790... so why is my PPC so slow when compared to a HPC running at less than half the speed...?

pcboy2003
05-19-2005, 08:09 PM
Yea Ripper, but like I said before, the whole idea is not rather you like it or not. I am sure there's many people like you out there with their Axim or iPAQ, who choose to stick with ppc2003se and not have their devices upgraded to wm5. However, Dell/HP/FSC allow them to choose, those who wants the upgrade can purchase the upgrade, those who wants to stick with whtever their device comes with, can do whatever they like.

I wouldn't use windows media player 10 even if I have it, because I would be using beta player most of the time. BUT the whole idea is, Toshiba didn't offer wmp10, and all other manufactures DID. I dont' care rather I use it or not, Toshiba

Rippeer
06-08-2005, 02:53 AM
Quite simply out if Toshiba does not have a WM5 upgrade opition for ATLEAST e830's I will never again buy a Toshiba product.

I bought the e830 becuase at the time it was the highest end PDA.

If I buy a company's highest end product I expect and demand some support.
In fact I demand that they treat me well and address my concerns with thier product after I have purchased it.

If Toshiba decides to no longer support the e830, which is has not even been on the market for a year, then I will respect thier decision.

I will also no longer purchase any hardware that is manufactured, branded, resold, or affilited with Toshiba OR it's affilates (such as Sony LCD's). I will also do everything in my power to ensure that others avoid Toshiba like the plague.

Darius Wey
06-08-2005, 03:13 AM
Bear in mind that when you bought the e830, you probably would have known that Toshiba had pulled out of half of the global PDA market, and that the device itself was only classed as a "brief" upgrade to the e800/e805. It could have easily been predicted that their ongoing support would have been anything but stellar, and well, I'll be quite surprised if they end up releasing a WM5 upgrade for the device. According to what they have told me, they're still not certain yet, and quite frankly, I wouldn't expect anything from them anytime soon. :(