View Full Version : Dell's Windows Mobile 5 Upgrade Offering Clarified

Jason Dunn
05-11-2005, 08:00 PM
A few people in our forums were holding out hope that a Windows Mobile 5 upgrade would be offered for their Axim X30s, so I emailed a contact at Dell to get further clarification on the matter. Here was her reply:<br /><br /><i>"Dell will offer a Windows Mobile 5.0 upgrade on the Axim X50 family only. Once Microsoft releases the final code for Windows Mobile 5.0, Dell must develop model-specific ROMs based on the new software. Each version of ROM developed requires extensive resource dedication. Dell has made the decision to dedicate those resources to ensuring the X50 upgrade program offers the best experience possible."</i><br /><br />I know that will disappoint X30 owners, but at least now you know for sure there will be no upgrade. The X30 has been on the market since 2003 (if memory serves), so this is an old device, even though Dell was selling a 2003 SE version. So far Dell has been consistent with offering upgrades for one previous generation of devices, which is more than I can say for other OEMs, so I applaud them for that.

takotchi
05-11-2005, 08:52 PM
Hopefully Dell won't completely botch this upgrade like they did with the Axim X5. By the time I got my upgrade CD, I had WM2003 for at least a month (it's been a while, I forget) thanks to Dell's little "update" they posted for the X5s pre-installed with WM2003.

delajt
05-11-2005, 09:15 PM
... I'm a little bit sad, I just got my X30/624 last friday so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the update. Still, it's an awesome machine, better/faster than my old ipaq 5450 :D

Ed Hansberry
05-11-2005, 09:20 PM
... I'm a little bit sad, I just got my X30/624 last friday so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the update. Still, it's an awesome machine, better/faster than my old ipaq 5450 :D
Take advantage of the money back return policy of Dell and move to the X50 series. I think it is 7 days.

Jason Dunn
05-11-2005, 09:56 PM

You can uncross your fingers - there will be no update. I don't think I can make my point any clearer than that quote I posted. ;-) I'd follow Ed's advice and return the X30 while you can (if you want to get the upgrade).

Jon Westfall
05-11-2005, 10:00 PM
This makes my day since I just got an x50v in trade for another device. Sweet. Just makes me wish I could share the joy with my x30 friends. That would be sweeter.

Sven Johannsen
05-11-2005, 11:45 PM
So far Dell has been consistent with offering upgrades for one previous generation of devices, which is more than I can say for other OEMs, so I applaud them for that.

Not sure that's quite accurate. The X30s always had WM2003SE on them. I recall that's why I bought one. I needed to play with SE and wasn't getting it out of HP. The X5 did get an upgrade, but the X3 didn't. So I think it is X5 yes, X3, no, X30 no, X50 yes. Not that much different than other OEMs. Not saying Dell is bad, just that they are not the golden OEM. I might be misremembering though.

stevelam
05-12-2005, 03:58 PM
Some times I really do want to move to Dell (ive got an h2210 at the moment). Oh well i'll just wait for the next high end device from then (autumn apparently)!