View Full Version : Help on choosing a PPC

spidiemonkey
05-11-2005, 03:14 AM
I have posted before, but I've had new thoughts. I want a PPC that would be great for gaming/media purposes. Also, the basic organizing stuff. I would love to have a camera. The problem is that I don't want to spend over $400...Help! :?

Menneisyys
05-11-2005, 08:54 AM
I have posted before, but I've had new thoughts. I want a PPC that would be great for gaming/media purposes. Also, the basic organizing stuff. I would love to have a camera. The problem is that I don't want to spend over $400...Help! :?

Prolly a second-hand iPAQ rx3715? Their price may drop considerably now that HP announced they won't release the WM2005 upgrade for it, so, a lot of angry/disappointed users will try to sell theirs...

xiaoxin
05-13-2005, 07:27 AM
What about ASUS'A730
it's very stront to use as multimedia .conmunication. produstivity and entertainment.
[/b]
http://img.pconline.com.cn/images/product/0919/091981/pda_asus_a730_1l.jpg
i wish you loving it
this is propertisehttp://www.pconline.com.cn/digital/pda/pingce/pocketpc/0410/pic/1014_a730_21.jpg
First of all it take you to charge for it not more than 400$

do you think?

emuelle1
05-13-2005, 11:54 AM
Used might be the way to go. Both of the Pocket PCs I've had are someone else's leftovers. I had an ipaq 3765 and now a Dell Axim x30. I love it.

I don't know if Pocket PC cameras are up to par yet. I know you can buy a CF camera. If you have a Pocket PC with a CF slot it will plug right in.

Patrick Y.
05-14-2005, 01:46 AM
A730W is definately a device to consider. Even though it is over $400, it INLUDES EVERYTHING you can think of. The best thing about it is the high-quality VGA screen. A730W also have better performance than Loox and x50v.

Jon Westfall
05-14-2005, 01:50 AM
I really like my new x50v, and have seen them on ebay for under $400 buy-it-now new prices.

Don't really have much experience with the Asus products, but the benchmarks look pretty good for what you want to do.

Jon.

Patrick Y.
05-14-2005, 01:52 AM
X50v's price is unbeatable. It is surprising how cheap they are. Though, I don't think it is quite as well-build as other VGA device.

christak
05-15-2005, 02:07 AM
X50v's price is unbeatable. It is surprising how cheap they are. Though, I don't think it is quite as well-build as other VGA device.

Haven't seen the other VGA devices, but my x50v is every bit as well built as my last three iPAQs -- 3630, 3950, and 2210... The x50v is wonderful and mine was only $274 from Dell (refurb, full warranty, and in perfect "brand new" condition)!!

8)

Jon Westfall
05-15-2005, 03:11 AM

I'm curious too as to what makes you think its not as well-built as other VGA devices? Is it the look of the machine? Have you seen one break? Just curious, as I never really thought the machines were more or less well-built.

Patrick Y.
05-15-2005, 04:58 AM

I'm curious too as to what makes you think its not as well-built as other VGA devices? Is it the look of the machine? Have you seen one break? Just curious, as I never really thought the machines were more or less well-built.

x50v is absolutely wonderful. Well, I just like other devices a "little bit" better. I mean, x50v got everything but it's just not so special. It has a 3D graphic chip, but only a few program can take advantage of it. However, Asus and Loox are smaller and have a camera (not very high quality, but convenient and cool). In my opinion, they offer much more cool features. However, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jon Westfall
05-15-2005, 01:35 PM

x50v is absolutely wonderful. Well, I just like other devices a "little bit" better. I mean, x50v got everything but it's just not so special. It has a 3D graphic chip, but only a few program can take advantage of it. However, Asus and Loox are smaller and have a camera (not very high quality, but convenient and cool). In my opinion, they offer much more cool features. However, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Its not something we can correct, it's your opinion :) I just didnj't know if you had some first hand experience watching an x50v spontaneously explode or something. I will agree that the Dell doesn't look too cool, doesn't have a camera (Although I really have never used a camera built into a phone or PDA since they all are lacking), and if smaller is what you're looking for, go for the Asus or Loox. Thanks for the clarification!

Menneisyys
05-15-2005, 02:05 PM
I don't think the build quality of the x50v is worse than those of the plastic-wise comparable (non-hx4700) other VGA PPC's.

The x50v is indeed a very good and cheap device, particularly if you're into 3D games (see for example http://www.pocketmatrix.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21410 ) or a really fast and good VGA output and the slightly not-that-good screen and much worse battery life aren't a problem.

Patrick Y.
05-15-2005, 05:57 PM
I don't think the build quality of the x50v is worse than those of the plastic-wise comparable (non-hx4700) other VGA PPC's.

The x50v is indeed a very good and cheap device, particularly if you're into 3D games (see for example http://www.pocketmatrix.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21410 ) or a really fast and good VGA output and the slightly not-that-good screen and much worse battery life aren't a problem.

I guess you're right. I've never inspect other VGA device carefully besides x50v and hx4700. It would indeed be a practical device for daily uses.

Patrick Y.
05-15-2005, 06:11 PM
I just didnj't know if you had some first hand experience watching an x50v spontaneously explode or something.

I guess I will died of shock by now if I really saw x50v exploding right in front of my face. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I will never, ever touch any Pocket PC ever again if they can really explode. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Darius Wey
05-16-2005, 02:13 AM
I guess you're right. I've never inspect other VGA device carefully besides x50v and hx4700. It would indeed be a practical device for daily uses.

The problem with other VGA Pocket PCs is that they tend not to be readily available in other countries. I know some countries don't stock the A730/A730W, LOOX 720, or E830 readily. The X50v and hx4700 can be found in abundance, but the others not so much, which is why for some people, the options are limited. Not sure if you're in that boat.

Patrick Y.
05-16-2005, 02:19 AM
Not sure if you're in that boat.

Yes, I am. Maybe I'll go to Taiwan for A730W. :D

Jon Westfall
05-16-2005, 04:14 AM
I just didnj't know if you had some first hand experience watching an x50v spontaneously explode or something.

I guess I will died of shock by now if I really saw x50v exploding right in front of my face. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I will never, ever touch any Pocket PC ever again if they can really explode. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Tonight on Fox: When Pocket PCs Attack!

Apparently when I posted before I preferred the silent j spelling of didn't. I really should just invent a new language: Jonspeak