View Full Version : Some more thoughts on Windows Mobile 5.0 for Developers

Peter Foot
05-10-2005, 11:45 PM
During the sessions at MEDC more details of Windows Mobile are being highlighted, this follow-up is an attempt to highlight a few new features for developers:-<br /><li>GPS Multiplexing API - Access data from a single GPS device from multiple applications. This is a new native code API.<br /><li>Changes to Pocket PC interfaces to support single handed and keypad driven use. The bubble notification API now supports softkeys for actions, which makes it easier to action a notification using a thumb press or soft-key button<br /><li>DirectX Mobile including managed DirectX for .NETCF v2.0. This can take advantage of the new graphics accelerated chips in some newer devices for advanced 3D graphics.<br /><li>Of particular interest to Smartphone developers is a new API to retrieve a unique ID for a device which doesn't require an app to be signed.<br /><li>Windows Mobile 5.0 inherits the new eDB database engine from Windows CE 5.0. This is used to power the internal pim applications and has helped contribute to performance improvements in the POOM APIs.

alex_kac
05-11-2005, 12:25 AM
I should mention that the biggest reason the POOM APIs had a major performance boost actually has nothing to do with EDB. EDB helps with the performance on running in a persistent store. What actually helps POOM run so much faster on WM5 than it did before is all the new APIs for grabbing data in one shot instead of in tiny pieces plus a complete revamp of POOM from the ground up. It certainly doesn't hurt that the Microsoft Pocket Outlook apps themselves now use POOM directly as well.

bacchus_3
05-11-2005, 01:57 AM
Does this necessarily mean that existing PPC applications that has POOM modules need to reimplement their code as well? in other words, the existing apps that accesses POOM will not work 100% on WM2005?

alex_kac
05-11-2005, 01:59 AM
POOM on Magneto is a major rewrite. However the APIs themselves are the same as on previous OS's - though very much extended. So an app that uses POOM 100% will work under WM5. An app that makes ANY calls directly to the databases will need to be updated to use the new POOM APIs for those features.

bacchus_3
05-11-2005, 02:19 AM
I see, it's good to know the difference.

ctitanic
05-11-2005, 02:26 PM
Well, for all that I can see, VS2005 will bring an explosion of new applications with features that were very hard to achieve in previous versions of this tool.

alex_kac
05-11-2005, 02:44 PM
VS 2005 certainly makes development easier for all, but I don't think it enables anything new. I've been using it almost full time since February and its absolutely "da bomb" in that it helps me handle large C++ software projects so much more easily. But - what makes applications/features come alive more quickly than normal is the APIs that WM5 has. But using VS 2005 for WM2003/SE, for example, doesn't help since VS2005 doesn't bring any new APIs with it.

ctitanic
05-11-2005, 02:50 PM
VS 2005 certainly makes development easier for all, but I don't think it enables anything new. I've been using it almost full time since February and its absolutely "da bomb" in that it helps me handle large C++ software projects so much more easily. But - what makes applications/features come alive more quickly than normal is the APIs that WM5 has. But using VS 2005 for WM2003/SE, for example, doesn't help since VS2005 doesn't bring any new APIs with it.

so do you mean that for example you wont be able to use the Digital Camera APIs in a project if you are developing for WM2003 or SE? Even if you install the latest .NET SP in those devices?

alex_kac
05-11-2005, 03:00 PM
Those are WM5 APIs only.

VS2005 brings no new APIs to any platform. The platform itself has the APIs. So all the good cool new APIs like the camera capture, POOM2, contact picker, picture picker, notification broker, and on and on - are only in WM5 - whether or not use VS 2005 to build the actual app (you could technically use eVC3 and use LoadLibrary(L"coredll.dll"); and then GetProcAddress() on each new WM5 API call and it would work).

ctitanic
05-11-2005, 03:05 PM
One more question, I'm having problems finding the VS 2005 beta download link. did MS pull it out already?

Darius Wey
05-11-2005, 03:12 PM
One more question, I'm having problems finding the VS 2005 beta download link. did MS pull it out already?

It's only available to MSDN subscribers. Here's a link if you're interested: http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2005/get/

ctitanic
05-11-2005, 03:27 PM

It's only available to MSDN subscribers. Here's a link if you're interested: http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2005/get/

I believe I thought it the other day and it was not asking to be a subscriber. Well, I think that I'll have to wait untill it's released. My MSDN subscription expired and I never renewed :(

stevelam
05-11-2005, 04:44 PM

I believe I thought it the other day and it was not asking to be a subscriber. Well, I think that I'll have to wait untill it's released. My MSDN subscription expired and I never renewed :(

I'd love to get VS2005 when it comes out but as a student there is no way I can afford it (we dont get acedemic versions in the UK as in US).

alex_kac
05-11-2005, 04:52 PM
VS2005 now has an "express" version which should be pretty cheap. And MS even said somewhere that if people - especially students - ask them for it, they can usually make it available cheaply or for free.

stevelam
05-11-2005, 04:59 PM
VS2005 now has an "express" version which should be pretty cheap. And MS even said somewhere that if people - especially students - ask them for it, they can usually make it available cheaply or for free.

I just ordered the BETA version of 2005 from their website wooooo :lol:.

stevelam
05-11-2005, 05:34 PM

Not if you join the program they are running at the moment for BETA developers!!!