View Full Version : ActiveSync 4.0: No More WiFi Sync

Jason Dunn
05-10-2005, 08:18 PM
One of the things that people are starting to discover as they read through some of the articles is that WiFi synchronization is no longer an option with ActiveSync 4.0. You can still WiFi sync against an Exchange server from the Pocket PC, but the ability to wirelessly synchronize with your local PC no longer exists. As a group, the Windows Mobile MVPs lobbied hard against the lack of this feature, but ultimately we made no progress. I won't presume to speak for Microsoft on exactly why this feature isn't there, but ActiveSync 4.0 no longer has the ability to accept any form of remote TCP/IP connections. So no WiFi, CAT5, VPN over LAN, GPRS, etc. It simply won't work. Myself, I see this as a serious problem and it will impact my use of the devices - but this may affect less people than I think it will, so it's survey time. Let me know what you think about this.

whydidnt
05-10-2005, 08:27 PM
Wow, I haven't had a chance to read all about WM5 yet, but this is a HUGE negative in my mind. I never use a cradle when at home, all I ever use is WiFi to sync my device, it is so convenient. As usual in the PDA world, it seems as features are added, others are discarded.

I really, for the life of me, can't figure out why MS would elect to leave out this option. Is it considered a security risk for AS to allow this type of connection? I can't see how, since the device itself has to be synchronized via USB at least once to facilitate the WiFi connection - at least in earlier AS versions.

Bad move Microsoft---- :roll:

karen
05-10-2005, 08:34 PM
I felt the same way when I read that. I thought "I assume that is a reviewer mistake - it must be somewhere."

I use both cabled and wireless sync all the time. I can't imagine why they removed this...unless....it allows them to sell some other technology like mobile server.... hmmmm..

WindWalker
05-10-2005, 08:37 PM
Frankly, this is absurd.

I am interested in knowing what the arguments AGAINST the capability were. I have found since moving to my laptop that it is wonderful to have one less cable to cart around with me. I was very strongly considering a WM5 phone the next time out. This doesn't stop me from considering it, but is a big negative in my book.

entropy1980
05-10-2005, 08:38 PM
Looks like it's time for a developer to restore the feature!! Any takers? :D

powder2000
05-10-2005, 08:40 PM
Ya, this is also a huge negative in my opinion. I usually sync wirelessly by wifi once or twice a day while roaming the office. I am so used to establishing a partnership and then unpluging the cradle/cable for use at home. The sheer ease of wireless syncing is what I like, weren't we all for the wireless/no cables desktop?

yslee
05-10-2005, 08:41 PM
Most disappointing. A really great feature taken away just like that. Hope it comes back one day.

lorettaboy
05-10-2005, 08:41 PM
Whoa....thats a shock. I use wifi sync all the time. Why would they remove such a usefull feature?

Dave Conger
05-10-2005, 08:44 PM
Some are saying it was removed for security reasons.

Kluch
05-10-2005, 08:50 PM
WOW! That's crazy. My assuption would be that they are forcing people to adopt syncing directly with an exchange server (Which you may still be able to do over WiFi)?

Thats still leaves out installing programs and such but if you can't recieve your email wirelessly(from and exchange server) on your PDA doesn't that take a lot away from the device?

OSUKid7
05-10-2005, 08:51 PM
I'd like to know the details of that...it's not like you could even setup an ActiveSync partnership wirelessly, so only the actual syncronization is a security concern, and that's just as much the case when wirelessly syncing to a mobile server.

I haven't used WiFi syncing as much as I thought I would, mainly because when I have the time to sync, it's much easier to drop my iPAQ into the cradle instead of plugging in the power adapter, turning the device on, opening ActiveSync, and hitting Sync. However, I have no support for removing the wireless sync feature, as I know many use it more than I do.

ctitanic
05-10-2005, 08:55 PM
I love MS! New OS new bugs, new unfinished things! :devilboy:

OSUKid7
05-10-2005, 09:01 PM
lmao, for a second I thought you were another one with an always anti-MS attitude. Then I glanced at the username and remembered the software you make. ;) That'd be great if a simple registry change would enable wireless synching without an Exchange Mobile server. :)

Mike Dimmick
05-10-2005, 09:03 PM
This is going to seriously affect my productivity as a developer. For years we've insisted on WiFi capabilities when obtaining devices to develop on, even if the application will ultimately be deployed on batch (serial/USB only) or GPRS units. While USB connections are much quicker than classic serial ones, you still have to keep the device in the cradle. Sometimes you need to debug the code that detects the presence of the cradle - WiFi is really the only way.

Jonathan1
05-10-2005, 09:04 PM

If so I would put forth the notion that it’s simply because MS doesn’t know how to secure ****. Or they are simply playing more games to make companies bend over and buy corp solution. Don’t tell me that they couldn’t have secured the connection either by generating some sort of auth hash when the device was in the cradle for the first time or through some other means. This is BS on the part of MS. Plain and simple. :evil: Now I need to figure out how important this feature is to me and if I really want to upgrade to 2005. Damn it. :evil:

don dre
05-10-2005, 09:05 PM
I didn't know there was a way to sync other than wifi.

Jonathan1
05-10-2005, 09:08 PM

Wait.. was that Windows Mobile or Longhorn. I’m confused now. 8O :wink:

carphead
05-10-2005, 09:10 PM
Sorry it's gone. But I won't miss it :)

As the only thing that I ActiveSync for is Files, Backup, Favs and SPB Money updates. The only time I'll miss it is when I need to install a large program or copy a big file to the memory cards.

But that's what I use media readers for :)

Paul P
05-10-2005, 09:23 PM
wholly crap, it's one of the best features of activesync. what is wrong with ms? seriously? why not let the people have the option? first the manufacturers take their sweet time in integrating wifi and now msft is trying curtail its use.

CoreyJF
05-10-2005, 09:34 PM
That is exceedingly frustrating? I have been a strong supporter of MS for years, but I am fast considering a complete life change. A Mac with the new Tiger OS and a PDA with Linux. I usually use WIFI to sync at home. I use the cradle for work and WIFI sync when I get home. I can’t remember the last time I brought my cradle home from work. We don’t have wifi at work, so I would have to drag my cradle with me. If this is a security measure, why is it still being allowed on an exchange server.

timcolling
05-10-2005, 09:43 PM
Knowing Microsoft, they may release this capability later as an extra-cost add-on product - kind of like VoiceCommand, which should be part of the OS but isn't. Microsoft is a master at this sort of technology tease.

- Tim

lapchinj
05-10-2005, 09:47 PM
Some are saying it was removed for security reasons. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Jeff

rapidnet_rick
05-10-2005, 09:48 PM
I can NOT believe it.

So much for syncing via wireless with about 4-5megabit of bandwidth. Back to good ole USB 1, which is maybe 1-2 megabit tops.

What were they thinking?

I say make it an option, that by default is OFF(TCP Sync). Users would be required to turn it on.

I guess I won't upgrade until they put it back in(after they catch wind of the uproar).

Hint, someone needs to point them to this survey/thread.

Clinton Fitch
05-10-2005, 09:50 PM
I have to agree with the majority here in that this is a step backwards. It isn't like ActiveSync is the most beloved program to begin with and ripping out options is not going to do it any favors.

I guess if you are using a WM5 device, ActiveSync 3.8 is the way to go! :-)

lapchinj
05-10-2005, 09:50 PM
WOW! That's crazy...
I thought that some people were using some synch feature via Wi-Fi that I didn't need or use. But a closer look and I saw that I was included in this group. I don't get a chance always to stay up to date but I never saw anything about this one. I guess that timcolling answered the why did they take the Wi-Fi out question though. Probably to sell an upgrade. Ahhh, the power of MS Marketing.

Jeff-

Underwater Mike
05-10-2005, 09:54 PM
Despite the fact that it seems I have to PLEAD with AS to sync remotely, I use the remote sync feature several times a day while traveling. WiFi if it's available, GPRS if I have to. It's the ONLY thing that's enabled me to travel laptop-free. I can't afford to run Exchange Server at home, and I'll be :bad-words: if I'm going to shell out for a hosted account just to sync my handheld.

If I didn't have so much invested in PPC software, this is the kind of thing that'd make me jump the platform.

If someone can write a third-party app, please make it user-friendly. I'll provide a testimonial!

baker
05-10-2005, 09:55 PM
It's May 10th, not April 1st. But, you have to be kidding me!

Paragon
05-10-2005, 10:01 PM
ActiveSync 4.0 no longer has the ability to accept any form of remote TCP/IP connections. So no WiFi, CAT5, VPN over LAN, GPRS, etc. It simply won't work.

Stupud! STUPID! STUPID!

cteel2004
05-10-2005, 10:13 PM
This is absolute and total stupidity. Wifi is pretty much the only method I use for syncing both at the office and around the house. I find the cradle slow, and bluetooth to be buggy at best.

This is especially true when I'm developing software. It's just faster when I can use 11 mbs on a wireless-b network instead of USB.

This does kind of bring to mind an idea if other developers are willing to collaberate on it. We could collaberate on the development of some kind of work around for this to provide TCP/IP sync capabilities. Or maybe even a full replacement.

If there are any takers on collaberation for this, PM me.

JonnoB
05-10-2005, 10:22 PM
While I do use Exchange Activesync for my inbox, calendar and contacts... it does not sync my notes, files, or any of my third party Activesync add-ins. Basically what MS is saying to third party applications is that they can no longer expect wireless sync using Activesync anymore.

I assume Bluetooth is still ok though? Does sync over BT still run over a serial port? Sorry if that was already covered in a review.

RogueTrooper
05-10-2005, 10:32 PM
I have to say that ActiveSync is one of my least favorite programs out there. For no reason at all it'll lose the partnership which means I lose ALL my data on my device, how about letting me overwrite my PC from the Device?!?

When I was using Palm I never had such problems, Hotsync worked the first time, everytime and I never lost data AND I could overwrite the desktop with my palm, what a concept!

MS removing features from an at best crappy program sounds like another brilliant move to force people into something! YEAH, everyone at home has an Exchange server we can sync to!

Although I have yet to get my PPC to sync via WiFi (Thanks again MS for giving WM2003 the WORST networking setup ever!) I'd like to be able to use it at some point, at least give me the option!

Maybe if we started an online petition and got a ton of people to sign it they'd listen?

Thoughts?

-RT

dkgoodman
05-10-2005, 10:38 PM
I can't believe how incredibly inane it is to remove WiFi syncing. I sync over WiFi every morning. When I install software, I use VNC over WiFi to initiate it on my PC and let it install over WiFi. The only time I cradle is on that rare occasion that I have to resolve a sync problem.

Less is NOT more!

Sheesh.

Janak Parekh
05-10-2005, 10:44 PM
I assume Bluetooth is still ok though? Does sync over BT still run over a serial port? Sorry if that was already covered in a review.
Yes, I believe BT will still work.

The sad irony is that from what I've seen, ActiveSync 4.0 will be better in every other regard. It's supposed to be much faster, better conflict resolution, hopefully no more duplicates (although I haven't touched it yet, can't say for sure), etc.

--janak

JonnoB
05-10-2005, 10:48 PM
I have been thinking... it is possible that just as MS opened up the ActiveSync API to others such as Palm... that this API could be extended beyond Exchange Server. It is possible that WiFi sync is meant to be done not at the connection level, but at the add-in level. This opens up the opportunity for third party inbox sync tools and the possibility that WiFi sync items will be dedicated to wireless sync using a more robust interface.

packetstorm
05-10-2005, 10:57 PM
If the main benefit to upgrading to AS4 is for the "push" feature, I can guarantee, I won't be upgrading any time soon. Can't afford an exchange server at home so I guess I'll be staying put. I just don't get this.

*shakes head from side to side slowly*

I just don't get this "cripple effect"...Something finally works the way it should and corps decide to get greedy and muck it all up. Verizon with Bluetooth and now Microsoft And Wifi AS.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

volwrath
05-10-2005, 11:26 PM
I will be staying with activesync 3.8 because this is indeed stupid. I ALWAYS sync wifi at home. I also install all my programs via wifi. I also will EXPLORE via wifi to clean up my PPC. My cradle is at work, although I do have a sync cable at home, it is in a drawer. PITIFUL!

Johnny Bravo RJ
05-10-2005, 11:34 PM
I also believe that, at least, BT sync will still work... It'll be a paliative until we can get WiFi AS again, one way or another.

lapchinj
05-10-2005, 11:39 PM
WOW :shocked!: just voted and I was really suprised to see that it matters to 73% of us. I try and guess the the choice and it's percentage that would probably come out on top every time there's a survey but I didn't even come close with this one even though there were only 2 choices.

Jeff-

Underwater Mike
05-10-2005, 11:40 PM
Something finally works the way it should and corps decide to get greedy and muck it all up.

LOL, not sure I'd go so far as to say that AS currently works the way it should, but no remote sync is definitely a step in the wrong direction. ;)

Julio
05-10-2005, 11:43 PM
GAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

I can't remember the last time I sync'ed with the cable. It has been WiFi-only for more months than I can remember. The speed factor alone is reason enough to use WiFi.

I hope that they come out with a patch/fix/upgrade to fix this.

In the meantime, I hope that WM5 works with AS 3.8

Julio

WyattEarp
05-10-2005, 11:45 PM
Let's see now, just started to fully use WiFi. WiFi antenna has a freak accident; no more Wifi. Planned on purchasing a new antenna next month. Also planned on a new PPC when WM2005 comes out. AS5 will not support WiFi. Hmm, this may be my last PPC if things continue to go down hill.
Wha-a-a-t is wro-o-o-ng with these people at Microsoft :?:

JonnoB
05-10-2005, 11:48 PM
One if four say they don't care about AS WiFi... but what percentage of them see this as a negative?

wesley762
05-10-2005, 11:59 PM
so are they taking out all networking or is this just AS with WiFi?

Paragon
05-11-2005, 12:03 AM
In the meantime, I hope that WM5 works with AS 3.8

Julio

I doesn't! :cry:

PR.
05-11-2005, 12:43 AM
Definitely a bit odd, I only use it occasionally as I have a hosted exchange service, hopefully AS4 will support tasks sync from server

TheWolfen
05-11-2005, 01:03 AM
What??? Errr.. what??? That's the most ludicrous thing I've heard in awhile!!! I have 2 cradles and I still use this feature constantly. It is faster and much more convenient! How else am I supposed to sync from my bedroom??? How can they regress??? :evil:

timcolling
05-11-2005, 01:28 AM
Maybe they should start calling it...

Windows [Not Very] Mobile 2005

- Tim

timcolling
05-11-2005, 01:29 AM
... with Exchange, then maybe there's a new antitrust issue here!

- Tim

dan.carter
05-11-2005, 01:52 AM
Amazing! This is about as stupid as the fact that after years of Outlook updates, there is still no way to easily/reliably sync Outlook on two computers without Exchange. What is Microsoft thinking?

Sven Johannsen
05-11-2005, 03:51 AM
Take a look at the connections settings in AS4 at http://www.davespda.com/index.php?itemid=367

You'll note there is no network option...period.

Bluetooth does still work just as it did, as a virtual serial port.

Paragon
05-11-2005, 03:59 AM

Hey Sven,

I assume there were some *discussions* with MVPs on the subject of removing Activesync Wifi....did anyone at MS offer a viable reason for its removal?

Dave

k1darkknight
05-11-2005, 04:52 AM
I DO really disagree with M$ for removing this feature. But then, what else would you expect from Big Green?

Honestly, I don't really even use ActiveSync to sync much of anything. I keep all my appointments and contact info stored only on my PPC, with occasional backups, to keep the data safe. I don't use the Tasks, Favorites, or Afaria (haven't even FOUND a use FOR it), either. For that matter, I don't even use AvantGo, preferring full web browsing or nothing at all. Instead of Notes, I use either M$ Pocket Word, or PHM Notepad (http://www.phm.lu/Products/PocketPC/PowerToys/#Notepad). As for Inbox, I really can't even use it, since I use Yahoo for my e-mail, and can't see paying them extra, just to be able to get my e-mail into a M$ program. (I use Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/central.html) on my desktop)
I absolutely never SYNC files, for the very reason that it causes one version or another of a given file to be overwritten. I prefer copying files directly, to using a card reader, simply because ActiveSync DOES convert the files as needed, whereas using a card reader forces the PPC to handle any conversion.

Really, then, the only thing I use ActiveSync for is installing programs, and to provide the connectivity to manually copy files. In all practicality, if they gave you the option of installing a full-blown ActiveSync with ALL features, versus an ActiveSync-lite, providing only program installation and file transfers, I'd pick the latter. But it really IS stupid of them to completely remove a feature that seems so heavily used. That would be like them making Inbox even 'slimmer' than it already is, just to 'offer' a "Pocket Office Outlook" for "only" $9.99 or something. Maybe someone could come up with a third-party ActiveSync REPLACEMENT! ?!?

k1darkknight, aka PPC freeware junkie

scottb100
05-11-2005, 05:31 AM
I too Sync via WiFi all the time. Can do it anywhere in the house. MS really needs to look at this again......

Scott
X50V
Sena Case

gt24
05-11-2005, 05:56 AM
For me, I always say "wait for the new devices to release and see how they review..."

Well, unless Wifi makes its' way back into Active Sync... I'll pass on Mobile 2005. Then again, I have an X30... :) However, I could have bought a new device... for now, I'll pass. In fact, it will be pretty darn hard to replace my WM 2003 SE device now, for it can at least Wifi Sync!

It was the one feature of Active Sync that I really liked... RIP Wifi, however it can live in my home for a long time... as long as future programs with sync conduits don't require AS4 to be installed (AvantGo, etc...).

Easily put though, Active Sync 4 offered me very little reason to upgrade from the prior version of Active Sync. Now, I will avoid it like the plague. Also, this has REALLY hurt Windows Mobile 2005 in my eyes... What a stupid decision...

rogercruse
05-11-2005, 06:56 AM
Guess what I did this morning?

Downloaded & installed AS4, synced using USB... then spent some time looking for the WIFI option.

Finally, resorting to Google to find others with the same problem.

Oh well, I'll revert to AS3.8 tonight.

But it will make me question upgrading to WM 2005 when it's available.

Roger...

ricksfiona
05-11-2005, 08:08 AM
WOW :shocked!: just voted and I was really suprised to see that it matters to 73% of us. I try and guess the the choice and it's percentage that would probably come out on top every time there's a survey but I didn't even come close with this one even though there were only 2 choices.

Jeff-

There are some serious techies on this site! I've had an iPAQ for about 4 years and never tried AS via wireless. It's cool, but no big deal to me.

I just played with syncing files via WiFi. I tried syncing a 45MB file and it was taking over 3 minutes to sync. Via a card reader: 15 seconds. So for transferring files, I won't miss it.

If you want to sync. with eMail, Exchange will work just fine. POP will work too.

I'm more interested in being able to sync. storage cards. That's cool! USB 2... Cool! AS 4 is fine with me.

I'm really looking forward to the Phone Edition enhancements. When I get a PE device, WM5 should be pretty cool. Without PE, WM5 is not that big a deal.

Andy Whiteford
05-11-2005, 11:56 AM
IS AS4 necessary for WM5?? If not then I will most likely stick with AS3.8 as it is plenty fast enough for me and I use this method exclusively.

Ed Hansberry
05-11-2005, 12:14 PM
IS AS4 necessary for WM5?? If not then I will most likely stick with AS3.8 as it is plenty fast enough for me and I use this method exclusively.
Yes. WM5 won't work with AS3.x, so if you want WM5, you give up any TCP/IP form of syncing, or if you keep AS 3.8, you are limited to Windows Mobile 2003SE devices.

jwf
05-11-2005, 12:37 PM
I only ever sync using WiFi, otherwise I have to hook my cradle up to the laptop. Stupid move!

JF

ethancaine
05-11-2005, 01:20 PM
Does the lack of remote sync with ActiveSync 4.0 matter to you?
Yes, it matters, I will miss WiFi/remote synchronization 73% [ 1059 ]
No, it doesn't matter, I never/rarely did remote synchronization 26% [ 380 ]

Total Votes : 1439

About says it all, don't it?

emuelle1
05-11-2005, 02:29 PM
Add another vote to that.

Honestly, I wasn't sure how to vote. I just bought my friend's Dell Axim x30 (love it) and have had no luck at all getting it to syn over wi-fi. But in the course of reading this thread, I think I may have figured out my problem. When A/S 3.8 came out, I had to get the sysadmin at work to install it on my work computer. I honestly couldn't see it doing anything for me, so I forgot about installing it at home. So I was still running 3.7.1 at home.

When I get home tonight, I'll try to wi-fi sync again. And if it works, my blood pressure will rise in solidarity with the rest of you.

It's not that I like or dislike Microsoft. I'm *used* to Microsoft, and nobody as yet has offered a comparable replacement to many of their products, although there are some good browser replacements like Firefox and Maxthon, there really isn't an OS that will compete with the Windows line in an affordable platform. I hear Mac is really stable, but too expensive for my tastes with no real knowledge of what it can do.

lapchinj
05-11-2005, 02:43 PM
...I've had an iPAQ for about 4 years and never tried AS via wireless. It's cool, but no big deal to me.

I just played with syncing files via WiFi. I tried syncing a 45MB file and it was taking over 3 minutes to sync. Via a card reader: 15 seconds. So for transferring files, I won't miss it....

...I'm more interested in being able to sync. storage cards. That's cool! USB 2... Cool! AS 4 is fine with me...
Yeah I guess it was a good feature although like you point out not very useful and something we'll have to live without in order to move forward. I use WiFi synching mainly from my office computer which has it so it was very handy. This was better than leaving (or forgeting to leave) a cradle of synch cable there. Anything large that I had to move to a storage card always gets moved via cable though. So I probably would also never have tried it if it wasn't installed at the office since I always use a cradle at home or a card reader to move large or many files.

I guess the time has come to try this out (at the office) and see what flys. But I still think that it was a stupid thing to take out. So far I haven't seen one good (or true) reason for doing it. Maybe it was because it was dark in Bill's office while he was synching via WiFi and got scared when the green light started blinking and had his guys remove it. Basically he leaves all reasoning to the marketing people. They can sell anything :mrgreen:

Jeff-

Sven Johannsen
05-11-2005, 03:11 PM

Hey Sven,

I assume there were some *discussions* with MVPs on the subject of removing Activesync Wifi....did anyone at MS offer a viable reason for its removal?

Dave

I don't recall being asked if I thought it was a good idea before it was done :? We did make our feelings known, and I would say they are reflected in this poll. I have posed a question back to MS about an official comment on the rational, as my understanding is based on conversations that are priveleged. I would rather not misrepresent anything.

I'm thinking back to the outcry when HP didn't provide upgrades to WM2003 (SE?). HP finally released an official paper on their rational. That just started a new round of indignation amongst the populace. Hard to predict what would happen here.

You have to give MS credit for not just doing things on a whim. I am sure they did some significant investigation on the ramafications, weighing the pros and cons of pulling it or leaving it. While I may not agree with the outcome, I am sure it was a considered decision. Maybe the data they used in that decision was flawed. I am encouraged by this poll and the accompanying comments. It shows that the capability was used and desired, though the folks here may be discounted as the lunatic fringe of PPC users. Then again, we elect presidents with much less unity than you see here for IP activesync.

Note I call it IP Activesync. It is not just WiFi which folks seem to key on. It is any non-direct sync, such as WiFi, a network card, GPRS/3G/EDGE, RAS with a modem, unless you are syncing with Exchange.

BT is of course essentially a direct sync as it works as a serial connection. It does work fine. (or as fine as it did ;) )

If I hear anything more distinct, I'll certainly post on it, if Jason doesn't get to it first.

lapchinj
05-11-2005, 06:09 PM
[quote="Sven"]...You have to give MS credit for not just doing things on a whim. I am sure they did some significant investigation on the ramafications, weighing the pros and cons of pulling it or leaving it...[quote]

I'll agree with you with the fact that they do significant investigations but it's the weighing of those results that I find rather questionable. They have a very thick skin so they don't hurt easily when there is a lot of resistance to specific parts of their master plans. They have the power, size and ability to stay the course. But they have done stupid things in the past and this could just be another one to add to the list. At least they should answer why they did it. I would love to be able to understand the logic behind the problem with leaving it in would have been. I don't know if the poll taken here is representative of the PPC world in general but I didn't imagine that this poll would have returned anywhere near the 73% it did.

Jeff-

surur
05-11-2005, 07:13 PM
I'm sure the considered decision was that anyone could sync via GPRS and a PC with an always on connection without generating further revenue for MS by buying Exchange. Now they cant. I don't think they need another reason.

Surur

timcolling
05-11-2005, 07:25 PM
I'm sure the considered decision was that anyone could sync via GPRS and a PC with an always on connection without generating further revenue for MS by buying Exchange. Now they cant. I don't think they need another reason.

Surur

... and hence my post earlier in the thread that this may constitute a new antitrust issue...

- Tim

Flynn Arrowstarr
05-11-2005, 07:55 PM
I don't have WiFi on my PDA, but if I did, WiFi syncing was high on my lists of reasons to pony up the cost for the SD card. Fortunately, I'm using WM2003, so I can continue with AS 3.8 *whew!* However, I voted that I think it's a stupid move on Microsoft to remove the option entirely from ActiveSync.

I'm assuming though that WM2005 will allow direct TCP/IP network connections outside of ActiveSync (i.e. the Connections applet in Settings), correct? If not, that will be a serious blow to writing distributed applications. Mobile application won't do anyone any good if they have to have the PDA tethered to their desktops to sync with the database server...

Personally, I feel this is yet another way that Microsoft is trying to "remind" us that the PDAs are primarily marketed to business users and not to us home users. I guess if we want all-in-one devices, we're supposed to rush out and buy their Portable Media Centers -- which are hideously overpriced compared to compareable models. Heck, my Axim X3 PDA was much cheaper than a PMC, and far more capable.

Flynn

Terry
05-12-2005, 04:12 AM
It's interesting that MOOL is now available:
http://join.msn.com/?page=outlook/olc&pgmarket=en-us&ST=1&xAPID=1983&DI=1402 and AS WIFI is gone.

The next version of Exchange is reported to have push technology (like Blackberry, but MS' own variety).

MS knows that the way of the future is subscriptions...so if you want wireless AS and don't have a corporate infrastructure, get MOOL.

I don't see that's it's an anti-trust issue though, MS doesn't own enough of the mobile market to rise to that level. Plus, you can still sync, just not wirelessly.

austinguy23
05-12-2005, 04:34 AM

Surur

I agree, but if that's what it takes to motivate my company to deploy Exchange 2003 SP2 so be it...

As usual, Microsoft is showing their shrewd business sense.

surur
05-12-2005, 07:17 AM

Surur

I agree, but if that's what it takes to motivate my company to deploy Exchange 2003 SP2 so be it...

As usual, Microsoft is showing their shrewd business sense.

About the only reason I am not upset is that I've never found a use for this functionality, and cant foresee a time when I would in the near future. I'm sure there are many active users of this method who are feeling very betrayed by MS's machinations.

Surur

Sven Johannsen
05-12-2005, 03:23 PM

Surur

Oh, yea, I'm sure that's it. The Mobile Device Division said "Hey I bet we can get all the individual PPC users to stand up Exchange Server if we just take IP sync out of AS 4." :roll:

gps2003
05-12-2005, 09:16 PM

Surur

Oh, yea, I'm sure that's it. The Mobile Device Division said "Hey I bet we can get all the individual PPC users to stand up Exchange Server if we just take IP sync out of AS 4." :roll:

Maybe MS like to have a important feature for later WM2005SE.

At this time I can't believe it, because it is so practical to use WLAN sync. For me, this could be a reason to refuse the upgrade.

I can support the renaming to Windows (not really) Mobile

Amazing :cry:

surur
05-12-2005, 09:50 PM

Surur

I don't know if the rolling eyes indicate disbelief or sarcasm, but I don't see why you don't think MS would think this way. Its about monetizing their WM investment and upselling people to get features back. If an exec in a company used to be able to sync via his ppcphone, and now cant, he will have to get his tech's to buy Exchange, wont he.

All WM users don't have to upgrade, only one out of a thousand have to get their company to upgrade to make p*ssing of the rest of the WM world worthwhile.

Surur

Kar98
05-12-2005, 09:53 PM
Ah, and here I thought I was crazy when I installed ActiveSync 4.0 and my x30 could no longer sync to the PC via WLAN. Lasted about 5 minutes on my PC, then I trashed it again. Given past experience, get your 3.8 download burned to CD, store it on remote servers and on flash cards, because it is most likely to disappear from the official download pages.

Kar98
05-12-2005, 09:56 PM
I haven't used WiFi syncing as much as I thought I would, mainly because when I have the time to sync, it's much easier to drop my iPAQ into the cradle instead of plugging in the power adapter, turning the device on, opening ActiveSync, and hitting Sync.

Exactly. I haven't used this feature at all with my Toshiba e335. It wasn't equipped with Wi-Fi capabilities, but came with a powered sync cradle.
My new Axim x30 however is 802.11b and BT, but only came with a cable. Syncing it wirelessly is much more convenient than plugging the cable into the slot.

gt24
05-12-2005, 10:35 PM
Ah, and here I thought I was crazy when I installed ActiveSync 4.0 and my x30 could no longer sync to the PC via WLAN. Lasted about 5 minutes on my PC, then I trashed it again. Given past experience, get your 3.8 download burned to CD, store it on remote servers and on flash cards, because it is most likely to disappear from the official download pages.

I think if ActiveSync 3.8 is that vital that a few pocket pc sites will host it indefinately, most likely forever.

Or, better yet, QUICK, submit ActiveSync to http://www.oldversion.com/ that should work. :)

Sven Johannsen
05-13-2005, 03:18 PM
My new Axim x30 however is 802.11b and BT, but only came with a cable. Syncing it wirelessly is much more convenient than plugging the cable into the slot.

You can take advantage of the BT capability to do the same thing. Yea it means you need a BT dongle for the PC, but that's not too big a hit.

I may be wrong, but I don't think there are that many PPCs out there that have WiFi and don't have BT as well. I dfon't mean models specifically, but units in hands.

I don't know if the rolling eyes indicate disbelief or sarcasm, but I don't see why you don't think MS would think this way.
Little of both actually. I can't see how you can be as cynical as to believe your way. We are both conjecturing, but I think it would be a streach to think a business that has an exec that uses a PPC and now can't sit at Starbucks and sync, would invest in Exchange and all that entails to appease him. I can't imagine MS thinking that's going to happen, and pushing the MDD in that direction.

Pulling network support from AS to get folks to buy Exchange would be like Apple pulling I-tunes support for Windows, figuring everyone with an iPod would run out and buy a MAC.

This isn't intended to start an argument, BTW, just that I'm not as likely to see MS as the Evil Empire as some.

Kar98
05-13-2005, 03:30 PM
You can take advantage of the BT capability to do the same thing. Yea it means you need a BT dongle for the PC, but that's not too big a hit.

Bluetooth has a range of 5 to 10 meters. Syncing over a network, wireless or otherwise has a global range. Surely you see that this is /not/ the same thing. Syncing it wirelessly over a WLAN is just the most convenient and easiest way, because I've got the entire house and the grounds covered with 802.11b, but network outlets can only be found at 6 locations (It's a big house, and a private WLAN too boot. Imagine an small office set-up! 50 BT dongles instead of just a couple of wireless access points.

Zidane
05-13-2005, 04:17 PM
One thing I really liked about network synchronization is that I could sync with my home computer from my office.

Since I run a small software company from home, but I still work fulltime, I needed to get my email. So, I had Outlook download them, sort them into the appropriate folders and even kill my junk mail. Then, when I wanted to download my mail, I would connect my iPaq to my home VPN and sync the mail messages over. I could then answer my emails on my breaks and then resync. The responses would go out on Outlook's next scheduled send.

Now, I have to use Remote Desktop access Outlook directly because I installed ActiveSync 4 so I could VS2005.

blane
05-13-2005, 05:41 PM
This a a big pain in butt! WiFi AS is soo much faster as well. Instlling, synching, etc was so much faster than the slllooooow AS USB connection. Gee, nothing like "progress"!

surur
05-13-2005, 05:57 PM
I don't know if the rolling eyes indicate disbelief or sarcasm, but I don't see why you don't think MS would think this way.
Little of both actually. I can't see how you can be as cynical as to believe your way. We are both conjecturing, but I think it would be a streach to think a business that has an exec that uses a PPC and now can't sit at Starbucks and sync, would invest in Exchange and all that entails to appease him. I can't imagine MS thinking that's going to happen, and pushing the MDD in that direction.

Pulling network support from AS to get folks to buy Exchange would be like Apple pulling I-tunes support for Windows, figuring everyone with an iPod would run out and buy a MAC..

Sven you are too trusting. Many major companies don't think twice of irritating customers to make money. It motivates simple things such as changing the connector from generation to generation so you could not use your old peripherals, to refusing to release new OS updates.

This isn't intended to start an argument, BTW, just that I'm not as likely to see MS as the Evil Empire as some.

Remember, money is the root of all evil.

Surur

BeaSStMaster
05-13-2005, 06:11 PM
This is disappointing and surprising! I synch exclusively using my WiFi connection ... this was one reason why I opted to buy the PPC model with integrated 802.11. I struggled through the issues when upgrading to AS3.8 and always try to keep current with my applications, however I'll NOT be upgrading to 4.0 ... it will serve no purpose whatsoever. I, too, hope that Microsoft will reevaluate this decision.

maxnix
05-13-2005, 06:34 PM
AS 4.0, not business capable. How devolutionary!

stevenmh
05-13-2005, 06:51 PM
It's a good thing I love my LOOX 720. Looks like I'll be using it for a long, long time.

Like many others, my cradle stays at work. I sync at home via Wi-Fi exclusively. I keep my desktop down in the basement. I'm not walking downstairs and standing in front of the computer to use BT. I might as well have a cradle there if I'm going to do that. I'm not buying an extra cradle or cable, though, when I've paid for a unit with Wi-Fi.

My subscription to Pocket PC Magazine is up for renewal. After reading this, I'm not going to bother. This is such an amazingly asinine decision that in the span of a few minutes I've lost all interest in the future of PPC's. If MS doesn't care, why should I.

cschmidtner
05-13-2005, 07:09 PM
:? , ups I didn't know that this is currently possible. Anyone out there who can quickly explain how to do set it up?

Thanks!

jamisonw
05-13-2005, 07:10 PM
While I don't like the removal of this feature, I can live with it. I think the absolute most glaring hold in ActiveSync for me and my clients is the inability to sync with public contacts. I have about 20 clients with SBS2003 and they need devices that allow them to share data with others. Palm and Blackberry sync with public contacts, only ActiveSync does not. Blackberry Enterprise Server syncs public contacts wirelessly! How can MS be so far behind. I can't even do that with a cable, let alone with Exchange Server ActiveSync. How bizarre. Until this is fixed, I advise everyone who uses Exchange Server to use Blackberry if they want to efficiently work with their peers.

Kar98
05-13-2005, 07:21 PM
:? , ups I didn't know that this is currently possible. Anyone out there who can quickly explain how to do set it up?
Thanks!

Set up your "partnership" (PDA has to be connected with a cable just this once).

Then:

http://www.gesellige-runde.com/images/lansync.jpg

And the indicated option and checkbox are gone in AS 4.0.

Mexico
05-13-2005, 07:37 PM
Absolutely. Amazingly. Stupid.

Phillip Dyson
05-13-2005, 07:50 PM
Remember, money is the root of all evil.

Surur

Actually its the love of money that is the root of all evil. Don't want to demonize all those honest hard working money earners. :wink:

oldan
05-13-2005, 08:15 PM
WiFi synchronization is no longer an option with ActiveSync 4.0.
Unbelievable!
Ever since my very first HP Jornada, this is the ONLY way I've done ActiveSync. I haven't even had A/S loaded on my laptop. I set up a desktop machine back at the office which I VPN and sync with.
Uh-Oh. Not helping me decide to run out and spend ANOTHER $500 on a new PocketPC.
--Oldan

Sven Johannsen
05-13-2005, 08:34 PM

Bluetooth has a range of 5 to 10 meters. Syncing over a network, wireless or otherwise has a global range. Surely you see that this is /not/ the same thing. Syncing it wirelessly over a WLAN is just the most convenient and easiest way, because I've got the entire house and the grounds covered with 802.11b, but network outlets can only be found at 6 locations (It's a big house, and a private WLAN too boot. Imagine an small office set-up! 50 BT dongles instead of just a couple of wireless access points.

Yes I realize the differences. For the average home user BT can function fairly effectively. Works in my 3 story house. I'm talking about syncing BTW. Web browsing, media streaming, mail retreival and the like can still be done over WiFi. For mail you just need to quit having Outlook snag the mail so often, removing it from the server. I don't find my calendar, contacts, tasks and notes updating themselves on my PC when I am mobile too often, so not being able to sync them isn't a big hit. If you have a secretary updating that stuff for you, I have no sympathy.

Quite an intersting small office that would require 50 BT access points, and currently has WiFi capability that is being used for PPC syncing that isn't using Exchange already. I'm sure there are some, so you don't need to list them.

Never said I was in favor of the removal. My personal complaint is that Exchange sync doesn't even support the variety of options that AS does, so even if I got an Exchange Server (which I have) I would lose Notes, Files, Personal Vehicle Manager, and automatic Avantgo syncing. I don't lose the ability to sync my weather programs, Avantgo manually, RSS feeds, Currenct conversion updates and any manner of other direct Internet sync functions over WiFi, or any other IP method. I don't even loose tha ability to connect to my network over WiFi and retreive files from my desktop or servers.

Sorry some of you are devasted by this issue. I didn't agree with it, but don't think it is that big a deal because I think there are work arounds for most things. I also can't see MS doing this just to Pi$$ you off, or in the belief it will make them $ elsewhere. Without an understanding of the reasoning behind the removal I don't know how one can reasonably debate it's validity. Hopefully such information will be forthcoming. Still won't mean everyone will agree with the decision, or even believe what is presented (recall the HP presentation on not providing upgrades).

I will say that MS does listen, and though sometimes really slowly, does react to customers, but not indivdual costomers whose input is that they are idiots. Exchanges like this are essential foder for MVPs to take back and throw on the table. Actually they see these exchanges, just sometimes it is usefull to have it archived to serve as a reminder. ;)

fivepetpalace
05-13-2005, 08:35 PM
Actually its the love of money that is the root of all evil. Don't want to demonize all those honest hard working money earners. :wink:

Exactly what I thought when I read this 8)

And in regards to the topic, No WiFi sync, how lame is that!

Can you set up a BT partnership and sync ?

Kar98
05-13-2005, 08:41 PM
Can you set up a BT partnership and sync ?

Yes.

Flynn Arrowstarr
05-13-2005, 09:37 PM
Web browsing, media streaming, mail retreival and the like can still be done over WiFi. For mail you just need to quit having Outlook snag the mail so often, removing it from the server.

Well, you just answered my main concern. Networking as usual still works, just no ActiveSync. I didn't think Microsoft would completely remove wireless networking. [:)]

I will say that MS does listen, and though sometimes really slowly, does react to customers, but not indivdual costomers whose input is that they are idiots. Exchanges like this are essential foder for MVPs to take back and throw on the table. Actually they see these exchanges, just sometimes it is usefull to have it archived to serve as a reminder.

It is good the Microsoft listens to its customers. I sometimes wish they'd move faster in some areas, but we all have to remember that they make decisions based on their overall strategy. None of which we're necessarily privvy to. :mrgreen:

Flynn

emuelle1
05-13-2005, 10:03 PM
I'm sure an aspiring developer could make a lot of money by filling in this gap.

stevenmh
05-14-2005, 12:56 AM
Without an understanding of the reasoning behind the removal I don't know how one can reasonably debate it's validity.

I can very reasonably debate it without any idea whatsoever of why they did it.

I have something that works right now. It's worked for years. I know that the technology exists for it to continue working. Yet if I 'upgrade' to WM2005, it's broken. This is a no-brainer. It would be the height of stupidity for me to spend money to create a problem I don't currently have, and then spend time and effort finding a workaround to the problem that I imposed on myself.

I already own my workaround. If my LOOX reaches the end of its life and WM still can't sync over wi-fi, and a third-party solution isn't available, I'll get on eBay and buy another WM2003SE device, or switch to Blackberry or Palm. I'll even go without before I pay for a downgrade.

No offense to you or anybody else. I realize not everyone needs the feature. But for those who've invested in a wireless home network and sync wirelessly, exclusively, on a daily basis, this isn't just an inconvenience. It makes WM2005 a non-viable upgrade solution. And based on the results of the poll, it looks like MS is giving their customers an opportunity to get more familiar with the competition. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

uzetaab
05-14-2005, 01:18 AM
I don't have time to be reading all 10 pages of this, so I appologise if someone has said this. But personally, I won't worry about this until after we see the next update for activesync. It's possible that they ran into trouble with WM5 & wifi sync, so they cut it out, not wanting to delay release while they figured it out.

I'm off to a party, have a good day everyone.

JonathanWardRogers
05-14-2005, 08:09 AM
I just wanted to put my opinion down for the MS-MVPs to read. Make it an option!!!!!!

I use WiFi because it is the fastest way to sync! Much faster than BT or USB. I also use it to debug because it is unbearable over BT or USB. It is a major problem for me. Please pass this on to MS!

Thanks,
Jonathan

TIKI
05-14-2005, 07:25 PM
I just wanted to put my opinion down for the MS-MVPs to read. Make it an option!!!!!!

I use WiFi because it is the fastest way to sync! Much faster than BT or USB. I also use it to debug because it is unbearable over BT or USB. It is a major problem for me. Please pass this on to MS!

Thanks,
Jonathan Totally supported!!!

My USB Connector has died 15 months ago. But my WIFI still works fine . That is why I still can use my Toshiba E740. When it reaches a condition to be replaced I will not go for a WM 5 PDA if I cannot use WIFI for synchronisation.
Palm and Symbian are waiting.

gt24
05-15-2005, 04:37 AM
Theoretically, if the sync port is damaged on ANY device and as long as the cradle supports charging of the battery itself (and the battery is removable), then WIFI sync is the only option.

Unless there is no WIFI sync... guess you'll need bluetooth...

you better get a bluetooth model for that option...

An idea though is to have a recieving program that translates a WIFI sync attempt into a COM port input for ActiveSync. I don't know how hard that is though but many people would really appreciate the option I bet.... unless the PDA refuses to start an ActiveSync syncrhonization if there is no USB activity and your bluetooth is off (and when it is on, it only talks to bluetooth).... then again, I don't know if this is workaround-able...

Ed Hansberry
05-16-2005, 02:15 AM
The MVPs hear you. It is the MS Employees that you need to talk to. :wink:

dlindman
05-16-2005, 10:02 AM
Take a look at the connections settings in AS4 at http://www.davespda.com/index.php?itemid=367

Bluetooth does still work just as it did, as a virtual serial port.

You need to keep in mind that the bluetooth stack is being fazed out of the next windows version...so eventually we're going to really be out of luck....this is a bad move by microsoft, someone needs to let them know.

Attakin
05-16-2005, 07:01 PM
I don't think I can remember when the last time I used the craddle. I always sync via WiFi at home and work and I use the straight plugin for charging it. WiFi will be truly missed!

Jay
:(

Sven Johannsen
05-16-2005, 07:30 PM
You need to keep in mind that the bluetooth stack is being fazed out of the next windows version.

It is? Great, then I won't need to jump through hoops to install the stack that comes with my BT hardware.

ipaq_wannabe
05-17-2005, 04:24 AM
i would say that we make it clear that we wont spend our next at least US$500 on an upgrade to the manufacturers (HP, Dell, etc.)...

then let these manufacturers relay this issue to those MS employees...

ipaq_wannabe
05-17-2005, 02:24 PM
do you think there is a chance that M$ would bring back ActiveSync via WiFi?

JonathanWardRogers
05-26-2005, 09:44 AM
Has anyone come across a reason given for removing WiFi sync?

Darius Wey
05-26-2005, 10:00 AM

Yes, it was omitted for security reasons. It was actually on Microsoft's agenda to try and keep the feature without risking security, but it wasn't possible for ActiveSync 4.0. One can only hope that Wi-Fi will be added in again in a later release of ActiveSync. :|

Phillip Dyson
05-26-2005, 11:24 AM

Yes, it was omitted for security reasons. It was actually on Microsoft's agenda to try and keep the feature without risking security, but it wasn't possible for ActiveSync 4.0. One can only hope that Wi-Fi will be added in again in a later release of ActiveSync. :|

Thats wonderful, if they bring it back in the next release then we only have to go .... say 2 years or so. :evil:

*sigh*

JonathanWardRogers
06-01-2005, 01:36 AM

So if it is for security reasons, why not make it an option? Make a corporate version without it and a consumer version with it! Seems like an obvious solution to me, but then what do I know...

Phillip Dyson
06-03-2005, 12:20 PM
Even if Microsoft was trying to push Exchange on us unsuspecting victims, what about other programs?

What about file synchronization? What about my PhatNotes and SpbFinance sync?

fmcpherson
06-12-2005, 09:22 PM
Another feature missing from ActiveSync 4.0 is Backup and Restore. I guess that Microsoft figures with persistent storage we won't need to backup the devices, but won't there always be the possibility that something really bad happens to the device (say like it gets stolen) and you need the data on it?

I don't see why Microsoft would remove this fundamental feature from ActiveSync.

rsmurugan
07-08-2005, 09:56 AM
Without Wi-Fi Active Sync.. I am like I am handicap…

OSUKid7
07-14-2005, 04:24 AM
Another feature missing from ActiveSync 4.0 is Backup and Restore. I guess that Microsoft figures with persistent storage we won't need to backup the devices, but won't there always be the possibility that something really bad happens to the device (say like it gets stolen) and you need the data on it?

I don't see why Microsoft would remove this fundamental feature from ActiveSync.
Are you kidding me? Why are they removing all of these features? I really am looking forward to WM2005*, but definitely not to ActiveSync 4.0.

* - btw, are they ever going to start calling the Pocket PC version of WM2005 Pocket PC 2005? hmmm.

ctmagnus
07-14-2005, 04:51 AM
* - btw, are they ever going to start calling the Pocket PC version of WM2005 Pocket PC 2005? hmmm.

I'm not anticipating it. I see MS merging the connected and non-connected versions into one. Likely not in this version, but eventually, and they have to start somewhere.

Darius Wey
07-14-2005, 08:08 AM

I'm running the latest version of ActiveSync 4.0 and I can still see and use its Backup and Restore feature without an issue. What build are you using?

Darius Wey
07-14-2005, 08:11 AM

There's no reason to. Since its public announcement, it has always been referred to as Windows Mobile 5.0 - that name covering all flavours of the platform (Pocket PC, Pocket PC Phone Edition, and Smartphone). Besides, Microsoft are favouring the Windows Mobile branding, rather than the separate, Pocket PC and Smartphone. I'm guessing, sooner or later, they will converge.

CBUCKELY
10-08-2005, 02:56 AM
I can't believe Microsoft removed this feature. Some people in alternative forums said it was removed due to "security reasons" but most people would say Microsoft has never been one for security in the first place.

Regardless security really isn't a concern if you take the necessary steps to secure your connection such as use a VPN or only sync on a local wireless network with encryption. Microsoft could also simply insert a little legal disclaimer!

In my opinion I see this as either Microsoft trying to push more than just e-mail AKA push Exchange Server licenses OR Microsoft will be releasing an update in the near future which will require us all to download.

Think about the many warehouses that utilize WIFI activesync with their barcode readers. Think about the many people that work throughout a building and need to sync with their desktop without plugging in. Microsoft will lose a ton of business if this feature is not added. Plus designers will have to start making their own syncing applications. This is just what we need! An expensive and resource consuming sync program for everything!

Microsoft - I have been a fan for many years but this 2 step forward and 4 step backs pace is really starting to bother me!

I have 5 PPC-6700's and am thinking about returning them. Honestly Windows Mobile 2003 has the features I need today. Windows Mobile 2005 is like having a car without wheels. You have to patch/buy/or upgrade later for the "wheels".

ian_m42
10-20-2005, 04:53 PM
Just registered to express my astonishment and disgust the WiFi ActiveSync has been removed in V4 I have got users using Dell PDA's who have upgraded to Axim X51's (from X50's ?) complaining they can't sync wirelessly at home and work like they used to.

They are used to coming into the office, synching via WiFi to their desktop PC, maybe answering a few e-mails then off on the road. Their desktop PC's don't have IR or Bluetooth ports, so looks like we are back to cumbersome deskspace occupying USB cradles....

Have a good mind to return the Dell X51s and buy X50s instead as these fitted in much better with our business and user needs. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Just hope that MS return some WiFi synching capability in a future update.

shawnc
10-20-2005, 05:35 PM
So many comments, so little time. I haven't used a cable to sync in years. As a non-techie, I felt a huge sense of accomplish after setting my home "G" network. Upon receiving my Ipaq, I was v-e-r-y afraid to reset my network to "mixed" for fear that I may break something. After a couple of months of trepidation (and some great advice from this community) I was able to reset my network. Haven't used a cable since then.

This is absolutely a non-starter for me. I was considering a new device until I heard this. No way I'm taking this step backward. I'll keep my Ipaq until it breaks, and then it's no more PPC for me :evil: !

Without an understanding of the reasoning behind the removal I don't know how one can reasonably debate it's validity.

I can very reasonably debate it without any idea whatsoever of why they did it.

I have something that works right now. It's worked for years. I know that the technology exists for it to continue working. Yet if I 'upgrade' to WM2005, it's broken. This is a no-brainer. It would be the height of stupidity for me to spend money to create a problem I don't currently have, and then spend time and effort finding a workaround to the problem that I imposed on myself.

I already own my workaround. If my LOOX reaches the end of its life and WM still can't sync over wi-fi, and a third-party solution isn't available, I'll get on eBay and buy another WM2003SE device, or switch to Blackberry or Palm. I'll even go without before I pay for a downgrade.

No offense to you or anybody else. I realize not everyone needs the feature. But for those who've invested in a wireless home network and sync wirelessly, exclusively, on a daily basis, this isn't just an inconvenience. It makes WM2005 a non-viable upgrade solution. And based on the results of the poll, it looks like MS is giving their customers an opportunity to get more familiar with the competition. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Very well put!!!!!

tigger8740
01-10-2006, 09:36 PM
This is a HUGE issue for me! I work in a hospital environment that has complete WiFi coverage and we probably have 100 or more users of PPC's. (HP hx2750). While we have an Exchange server, we have physicians that sync to PC's for sharing files that are not going to be available on an Exchange server as well as some software apps that use the WiFi syncing to exchange data. Right now I am working with our HP rep to see when the 2750's we use will start shipping with WM5 because once that happens we wil not be able to deploy these to new users. We may have to stockpile these devices so we can have them on hand.

I was hoping that AS 4.1 would have this feature added, but it doesn't look like it will be back any time soon. <sigh> :cry:

clbsvi
01-17-2006, 03:13 AM
After wading thru all the above posts, I have to "second the votes" to restore the ActiveSync (AS) capability to WM5. Just bought a new iPAQ 2495 and a Toshiba Centrino-enabled M45-S249 in late December, '05. It appears that Microsoft (MS) intended that AS be performed wirelessly using BlueTooth (BT). I can't get BT to work with either device, nor with the two devices together. Wi-Fi works flawlessly, and 802.11.g smokes along as a fast way to connect to the net. Hopefully, MS will correct this serious error as well-expressed inputs are provided by some of the experts found both in this forum, and others, including their own MVP group. BT may be okay for people who need it for interconnection between similar devices such as headsets, cameras, printers and so on. My opinion is that BT is a >>very flawed<< standard and is not worth the waste of time and frustration it has caused to me and several engieering friends. Nuff said. Is anybody out there (at MS) listening ??

Sven Johannsen
01-17-2006, 04:24 PM
While we have an Exchange server, we have physicians that sync to PC's for sharing files that are not going to be available on an Exchange server as well as some software apps that use the WiFi syncing to exchange data.:

Keep in mind that this does not proclude WiFi connectivity. Shared folders can still be accessed via WiFi. In fact it might be better to have shares on a server, than files on individual PCs in the PocketPC My Documents folder. Lack of WiFi sync does not preclude applications syncing over the WiFi link. If they are using AS as the conduit, of course you have a problem. If these are custom apps, though, I'm sure the vendors could manage to support a direct IP connection on a network, rather than depending on AS which is tied to a single PC.

I would have thought in the medical field, you would have been more concerned about the portential for compromise of personal data than the convenience of the physicians.