View Full Version : HELP NEEDED! hx4700 users please respond!

SniperGX
05-10-2005, 04:57 AM
I stupidly tried to flash my hx4700 with the Windows Mobile 2005 beta rom and now it wont boot! I can get to the bootloader but I dont know what do do from there.

How do I flash it back to the default hx4700 rom? Can anyone who has a hx4700 copy their rom and tell me how to reflash mine?

SniperGX
05-10-2005, 06:45 AM
Anyone? I will pay $50.00 to anyone who can help me out and make my ipaq work again.

Darius Wey
05-10-2005, 08:38 AM
I stupidly tried to flash my hx4700 with the Windows Mobile 2005 beta rom and now it wont boot! I can get to the bootloader but I dont know what do do from there.

Bad move. That was just asking for trouble, and now your device has been rendered unusable. You have two options: (1) Reflash it with the default ROM, which isn't publicly available so you can effectively scrap that option already, or (2) Contact HP and have them fix it. Since you've gone outside the limits of the warranty contract, you'll most likely have to pay to have them fix it.

Wish I could offer a simpler solution, but your options are very limited.

SniperGX
05-10-2005, 11:56 AM
Or I could just wait until the Windows Mobile 2005 update and flash it with that. Would that work?

juni
05-10-2005, 12:01 PM
Also, since there are rumours of an imminent rom upgrade you might not have to wait too long.

Darius Wey
05-10-2005, 12:35 PM
Or I could just wait until the Windows Mobile 2005 update and flash it with that. Would that work?

Nothing's official yet. We don't know if HP will release a hx4700 update for the next version of Windows Mobile. Only time will tell.

What Juni suggests is another idea, but then, you'd need to wait for HP to release that update (which has seemingly taken forever). The other thing you'd need to consider is that if your Pocket PC is in a totally buggered-up state, there's a slight possibility that your computer may not even recognise it via a USB connection (i.e. direct cable or cradle). If that's the case, you'll need to resort to the second suggestion as mentioned in my earlier post.

Wiggster
05-10-2005, 01:55 PM
I stupidly tried to flash my hx4700 with the Windows Mobile 2005 beta rom and now it wont boot!

I'm not sure whether this means that the 4700 IS capable of running WM2k5 or if it's NOT capable of it. I just know us consumers don't have access to that yet ;)

SniperGX
05-10-2005, 08:28 PM
My ipaq is not totaly messed up. I can get to the bootloader and my pc recognizes it. Does anyone have an hx4700?

SniperGX
05-10-2005, 08:36 PM

Nothing's official yet. We don't know if HP will release a hx4700 update for the next version of Windows Mobile. Only time will tell.

What Juni suggests is another idea, but then, you'd need to wait for HP to release that update (which has seemingly taken forever). The other thing you'd need to consider is that if your Pocket PC is in a totally buggered-up state, there's a slight possibility that your computer may not even recognise it via a USB connection (i.e. direct cable or cradle). If that's the case, you'll need to resort to the second suggestion as mentioned in my earlier post.

Actualy we do know that HP will release the update to for the hx2100, hx2400, hx2700 and hx4700.

"HP will offer Windows Mobile 5.0 upgrades for the HP iPAQ hx2100, hx2400, hx2700 and hx4700 series of handhelds. These software upgrades are expected to be available this summer and can be purchased directly from HP."

Note that they call it Windows Mobile 5.0 not Windows Mobile 2005.

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2005/050510b.html

yankeejeep
05-10-2005, 10:57 PM
I'm not sure whether this means that the 4700 IS capable of running WM2k5 or if it's NOT capable of it.
Actually, this once again is a reminder that you should not reflash your ROM unless the image has been designed for your device. Way too many hardware differences now between devices and, unlike desktop Windows, a WM ROM pretty much only carries drivers for the hardware used by the device for which it was created. That helps keep the footprint smaller. If you don't know that a ROM image has been prepared for your device, DO NOT USE IT! Otherwise you will probably end up with a flashy brick.

SarahMN
05-10-2005, 11:16 PM

How do I flash it back to the default hx4700 rom? Can anyone who has a hx4700 copy their rom and tell me how to reflash mine?

I wouldn't give up. I used to have this problem when messing with my 3600 and 5400. Try and find the 4700 ROM, you may even have a CD with it in your kit you got with the 4700.
I would then try and reinstall the ROM. You shoudn't have a problem.

SniperGX
05-10-2005, 11:49 PM
Nope its not on my cd. No one here has a hx4700!!??

SarahMN
05-10-2005, 11:57 PM
I wish I had a 4700, I am using a 5400.

Have you tried reinstalling the ROM you have?

SniperGX
05-11-2005, 12:00 AM
The only rom I have is the Windows 2005 beta rom which I have tried everything to make it flash but it doesnt work.

SarahMN
05-11-2005, 12:04 AM
I guess I would try the next most recent ROM. I haven't seen anything available specific for the 4700 yet.

SniperGX
05-11-2005, 12:29 AM
Its going to be a while until HP releases an update. I might just sent it to them for repair.

Darius Wey
05-11-2005, 05:05 AM
Its going to be a while until HP releases an update. I might just sent it to them for repair.

Or you could wait for HP to release the now-confirmed WM5 upgrade. Given HP's track record, I wouldn't be surprised if it took a few months, so you may want to send it in if you can't afford to be without your Pocket PC for quite some time.

Kati Compton
05-16-2005, 10:38 PM
Please do not post links to ROMs that are not publicly available. Thanks!

PhilH
05-17-2005, 01:08 PM
The hx4700 ROM update is now available from the HP site. That might help you out!

Little Mo
05-17-2005, 06:30 PM
Please do not post links to ROMs that are not publicly available. Thanks!

Excuse me but who can use the rom? It is specific to the 4700 so if you don't own one it is useless...and if you do own one they you are licensed to use it.

The EULA specifically says "The SOFTWARE is licensed, not sold." There for if you have a license for your device as SniperGX then he is legally entitled to use the copy I have provided. Plus Section 3 also stated that if the "download is labled 'For Recovery Purposes Only', you may install one copy of such DEVICE Software onto the HP iPAQ as a replacement copy for the existing DEVICE Software and use it in accordance with Section 1 of this EULA."

There is nothing Illegal with posting copies of the ROM. I think the moderaters are being a little unfair and are not doing their research before interjecting their opinions. Not to mention the specific rom is not hosed on their servers it is on mine so I would be the one getting in trouble...not them.ng.

Darius Wey
05-18-2005, 04:11 AM
Excuse me but who can use the rom? It is specific to the 4700 so if you don't own one it is useless...and if you do own one they you are licensed to use it.

I'm not sure which ROM is being discussed here, but if this is the leaked Windows Mobile 5 Beta ROM, then (a) it isn't hx4700 specific, and (b) it isn't considered a formal public release by Microsoft or any vendor. To maintain the legitimacy of this site, we discourage posting links to it. I hope you understand. Thanks.

Little Mo
05-18-2005, 04:49 AM

I'm not sure which ROM is being discussed here, but if this is the leaked Windows Mobile 5 Beta ROM, then (a) it isn't hx4700 specific, and (b) it isn't considered a formal public release by Microsoft or any vendor. To maintain the legitimacy of this site, we discourage posting links to it. I hope you understand. Thanks.

I am not posting any leaked ROM. I am trying to help the guy who started this post recover his device with the original rom. I extracted my original factory ROM and am hosting it on my own server for people to use. There is nothing that can be brought agains this site for that.

Are you reading the posts before sensoring them?

Let try this again...

[URL edited out by moderator JD]

Jason Dunn
05-18-2005, 05:28 AM
I am not posting any leaked ROM. I am trying to help the guy who started this post recover his device with the original rom.

Then send him a private message with the download URL - there's absolutely no reason to post it publicly. By posting it in our forums you're opening us up for legal action because it's certainly NOT legal to pass it around, which forces us to take action. Please stop being stubborn - this is not your Web site ok? :-)

Carlos
05-18-2005, 07:25 AM
:roll:

Wow, how ridiculous.

There's a link to it on xda-developers.com. You won't find a mess like this over there.

Wonder how long this post will last? :roll:

Darius Wey
05-18-2005, 08:09 AM
Wow, how ridiculous. There's a link to it on xda-developers.com. You won't find a mess like this over there. Wonder how long this post will last? :roll:

Keep in mind that Jason has already spoken about this legality issue. Sharing such links is a violation of the Windows Mobile license.

Also, we run our site. The folk at xda-developers.com run theirs. It's as simple as that. :)

Jason Dunn
05-18-2005, 02:29 PM
There's a link to it on xda-developers.com. You won't find a mess like this over there...Wonder how long this post will last? :roll:

It's a mystery to many of us that XDA Developers.com hasn't been shut down - the only explanation is that HTC doesn't mind what they're doing. But you'll notice there's no "HP developers" forum where people openly swap ROM images. I can guarantee that HP wouldn't like that. ;-)

As for "how long your message will last", we're not deleting messages - people are free to talk about ROM issues all they want, we only step in when they start posting links to ROMs in our forums. As I explained, if someone were to send someone else a ROM download link via private message, there's nothing we can do to stop that, nor would we really be concerned about that to be honest. But by posting a link in our forums, HP could (and likely would) hold Pocket PC Thoughts responsible for the ROM swapping activity, and that's not something I can allow.

Roll your eyes if you want, but this is my business and I need to protect it.

I still haven't heard a good reason why Little Mo is unable to use the private message button to send the URL. :wink:

btorbik
05-20-2005, 04:40 PM
I don't know how far you got with your attempted upgrade, but you mentioned that it's now in boot mode. If so, try this with the new 1.10 upgrade for the 470x:

During the install process, the ROM installer resets the 4700 into bootloader mode: the screen backlight goes off, and there is some lettering that basically says HP and a progress bar. The indicator lights will also shut down, and ActiveSync doesn't appear to be engaged.

Here's my environment:

Active Sync 4.0 - appears very stable and no issues so far
iPAQ 4705 - 128MB RAM (upgrade by PPC Techs). Full battery.

Installed from IBM ThinkPad running Windows 2000 SP2.

1. I ensured that I was installing ROM 1.10 by confirming that I had SP29841.exe

2. After the first failure, I rebooted my TP and shut down all programs. It was plugged into AC power, and my 470x was cradled to ensure a continuous power source. Previously, I'd tried to use a sync cable.

3. I then followed ninja1's advice (above) and reconnected the 470x to my TP and started the upgrade process again. I did this by reinstalling the ROM update on my TP - uncompressing the file, etc. - and letting it find and analyze the ROM on the 470x. You may see a "??" for current ROM version. Don't worry about it, as it's in boot mode.

4. You'll then be prompted to continue, and should select "Next" or whatever language version you're using.

5. To my surprise, the upgrade kicked off again, and slowly went from "0.1%), to "1.0%", to "1.1%", etc. It got as far as ~ 70.0%, and I got the same "Error 606" that you mentioned.

6. I then did a hard reset of the 470x (to no apparent effect, as it was still in Boot mode) and rebooted my TP. I then reconnect the 470x, restarted the SP29841 install process again, let it find my 470x and analyze it, and the process then kicked off again. This time, it installed a bit faster and completed without any errors.

7. I did a soft reset of the 470x and it came up without any issues. I confirmed it was the correct version by checking Windows Media Player and confirming that it was WMP 10. It was, and I've had no issues with the upgrade.

8. I've been reinstalling my programs and where possible, am putting them all in the iPAQ "File Store".

I hope this helps.

Bernie

MitchellO
05-21-2005, 06:46 AM
I had a similar problem with a botched upgrade on my XDA II Mini (the anansky big storage for those who read xda-dev). I could access the bootloader, so was able to restore my original ROM.

Not sure about the hx4700, but on my Mini you could dump the original ROM to an SD card (i used a 1Gb Lexar), so that if your rom update failed, you could go into the bootloader and restore the ROM from the SD card. Is this possible on the 4700?

Little Mo
05-22-2005, 06:06 AM
I had a similar problem with a botched upgrade on my XDA II Mini (the anansky big storage for those who read xda-dev). I could access the bootloader, so was able to restore my original ROM.

Not sure about the hx4700, but on my Mini you could dump the original ROM to an SD card (i used a 1Gb Lexar), so that if your rom update failed, you could go into the bootloader and restore the ROM from the SD card. Is this possible on the 4700?

Yeah, it is possible. I have done it. Using the XDA Developers tools of course.

Boy I wish the HP had the same following the XDA has. I would love be able to modify my rom on the 4700 like what can be done on the XDA using the Rom Kitchen.

MitchellO
05-22-2005, 07:24 AM
They haven't got one for the HTC Magician (XDA Mini, iMate JAM)yet :(