View Full Version : Concentrated Organization...

code-frog
05-09-2005, 02:29 AM
Hi I recently competed in and won a contest for a license to Acheive IT 2.0. That was fun and it's a great product. One of the first goals I have and it's a must is that I start tracking things more effectively. I'm self employed and I have so much going on it's so hard to manage all of it and I frequently am scampering at the last (tonight for example) to get stuff done that just totally came to a head. "Came to a head" means that I didn't prioritize well and now I'm finishing two applications that are *almost* done (if you are developer I apologize for the coke you just spit all over your monitor as you laughed out loud). I have to write up a bid for a project I've already won (they loved me) that's going to be about $25,000 and I have to spec it out. I have to write one installer. I have to get one clients laser printer into Active Directory (Favor). Oh I have to update a downloads page on a clients website too. That's just tonight. Yeah, I'll be up at 4:00AM.

So you see some of the things I have to manage. My PocketPC is small lightweight, manageable and snappy. (Dell X30) I love it and I *know* that it can be the keystone of my success.

Here's my question.

What is the smallest subset of software that will meet the following requirements.

(I would prefer minimal programs that are simple and easy to use if possible. Pocket Informant is wonderful and I have it but it's not a trivial program. It does a lot.)

Maximize my use of the today screen.
Allow me to enter simple tasks with a due date and description.
Allow me to manage lists of items efficiently.
Allow me to track expenses including mileage and gas.
Will display reminders, let me update them then synch them back to my desktop when I get back to my desk.
Allow me to jot notes quickly in an organized system.
Allow me to track time on development, networking and web projects by customer.
Tell me I've worked to much and make me go play with kids... and wife. :)

It would be cool (Editors and EIT's take note) if the PocketPC Braniacs compiled a list of user recommended applications for certain real world worker types (Developers, Self Employed, Accountants, Sales, Restaurant Managers/Owners, Construction Managers, Project Managers, Real Estate, Etc). If such a list already exists pardon my ignorance and throw me a URL.

Anyway, that's my request. All replies are accepted and will be pursued by me.

SarahMN
05-10-2005, 11:46 PM
Here are my suggestions. SBSH Pocket Breeze will allow you to maximize use of the Today Screen. List Pro will allow you to make organized lists.

That's it for now.

code-frog
05-10-2005, 11:51 PM
Not wanting to bias any responses what I have so far is:

- Pocket Informant 2005 (Own)
- Pocket Vehicle Manager 2005 (Trial)
- List Pro (Trial)
- Pocket Breeze (Trial)
- SPB Pocket Plus (Own)
- SPB Pocket Dictionary (Own)
- Achieve-IT's Latest Release (Won)

What I'm missing from the list is a quick and effecting notes management tool.

- Rex

Kowalski
05-11-2005, 08:11 AM
you should download the trial version of phatpad and phatnotes for notes management. phatnotes easly integrates to pocket informant, and phatpad is a freehand notetaking tool which has a desktop companion
if you want to use a freeware tool, than check out ADBidea library. this program has a nice interface and tree view structure.