View Full Version : Pocket PC Canada Blog

Jason Dunn
05-04-2005, 04:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://pocketpccanada.blogspot.com/' target='_blank'>http://pocketpccanada.blogspot.com/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"I have started this blog due to my disappointment about the lack of Pocket PC support in Canada from the wireless providers, and the lack of information available to end users. It seems the big players - Bell, Rogers and Telus Mobility seem to be JUST NOW testing and releasing pocket PC Phone and smartphone technology - and they aren't being very vocal about it. Linked to this is the lack of Hotspot sites in Toronto and I'm assuming the rest of the country. My goal is to (in a positive light) help promote to and enlighten the Canadian wireless and IT communities the benefits of wireless technology."</i><br /><br />Not to be confused with <a href="http://www.pocketpccanada.com/">Pocket PC Canada</a>, Pocket PC Canada Blog is a new site that focuses on Windows Mobile technology and the Canadian market. I learned a few new things about Windows Mobile devices in Canada - such as there being a Microsoft Mobility Solutions Manager based in Canada. Who knew?

karen
05-04-2005, 04:07 PM
What I posted there:

Thank gawd for Canadian content. I've been struggling with trying to find information in Canada. The Canadian providers are at least a decade behind other countries.

Thanks for setting this up, Gav.

I can't believe how backwards Canadian wireless providers are compared to other country's providers.

silver99
05-04-2005, 04:16 PM
Yeah!!! We need more Canadian tech-type content. It's a little lonely up here in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan!!!

David McNamee
05-04-2005, 04:54 PM
You mean there are wireless carriers that suck more than the US carriers?!?

Paragon
05-04-2005, 04:58 PM
Who knew?

Shhh! I think it's supposed to be a secret, just like the Windows Mobile tour in Canada he mentions in his blog?? Someone pointed me to this blog a week or so ago, and I saw this onfo. A buddy has since confirmed there is a tour, after much digging.

Nice work by PocketpcCanadablog

-Befuddled in Canada-

Jason Dunn
05-04-2005, 06:01 PM

Man, you have NO idea. We're still paying $40 a month for three-digit minute plans. :roll:

Kati Compton
05-04-2005, 06:53 PM
Yes, but then Americans can whine about the difference in cablemodem costs. ;)

Mitch D
05-04-2005, 08:16 PM

Man, you have NO idea. We're still paying $40 a month for three-digit minute plans. :roll:

Our problem in Canada is that fact that consumers here stay too dang quite even when they know they are being "raped" by the Celluar providers.

We all need to let the likes of Telus that we arn't going to take being ripped off anymore.

Gerard
05-04-2005, 08:27 PM
I know he's right about a lot of this stuff... but this bit is odd:
Linked to this is the lack of Hotspot sites in Toronto and I'm assuming the rest of the country.

Vancouver isn't exactly blanketed with Wi-Fi, but I find it easy to grab email several times on a walk in just about any direction.

Jason Dunn
05-04-2005, 08:32 PM
Vancouver isn't exactly blanketed with Wi-Fi, but I find it easy to grab email several times on a walk in just about any direction.

I think when he's referring to hotspots, he means legitimate WiFi access points that are meant to be open to the public, either for free or for a cost. It sounds like you're talking about jumping onto private access points that are left open - which is a completely different thing, right?

Gerard
05-04-2005, 09:16 PM
Well, for free APs there are quite a number in Vancouver, especially if you like coffee. Trees Organic Coffee, Ourtown Café, Libby's, just to name a few faves. They're all over. Our next PPC user group meeting is at Central City Brewing in Surrey - bit of a light-rail trek out of town, but still sort of Greater Vancouver - where free wireless is apparently available. There's a big McD's with Wi-Fi in Burnaby for folks who go there.

I started mapping every 'legit' and possibly-accidental open AP in Mapopolis many months ago, but the map just started getting too cluttered with them so I stopped. As for the in-between ones, one never knows. Mine's been open since I got ADSL with Telus last year. My SSID is 'behave' which ought to be enough reminder to anyone not to abuse it.

serpico
05-04-2005, 10:34 PM
Is there more info about these meets I can read about? I live in Burnaby and wanted to meet with other ppc users. I haven't had much luck with wifi spots when I go out. Even when I'm out with my wife, she gets more upset that she can't check her email. :lol: I have started a list of my own, but nothing near me or the locations I drive to. Good to hear there's a blog now with Canadian content.

Gerard
05-04-2005, 11:01 PM
Go to http://www.vancouverPocketPC.com - the latest choice for meeting location and time is always there.

Cybrid
05-05-2005, 12:03 AM
Um.. Gerard? Are the fouyr identical posts a cloning experiment gone awry? :D

Darius Wey
05-05-2005, 12:04 AM
Um.. Gerard? Are the fouyr identical posts a cloning experiment gone awry? :D

I fixed it. ;)

Gerard
05-05-2005, 12:15 AM
sorry. Being hassled by my 4-year-old nephew Eli while trying to make a quick post was too hard. Then when I tried to delete one and correct the spelling (we are in Vancouver, not ancouver) I guess the neighbour's wireless I jumped to did the multi-submitting somehow.

serpico
05-05-2005, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the link. I'll try and make it on the 16th. I should be back from Toronto then.