View Full Version : The Pocket PC I would buy today

bbarker
05-03-2005, 02:39 AM
I just completed a survey for an online software store. One of the questions it asked was what mobile device I would buy today. I love my Pocket PC, but I discovered that I would buy something different today. I suspect many may not agree with my decision, so it could be an interesting discussion.

This may be worth a poll. I'm sure we'd see a range of opinions based on personal needs. (For example, I'm not a gamer so my answer would reflect that.)

I have a Dell Axim X50v, the VGA model. It's great, and it was clearly the best model available for my purposes when I bought it last November. But today I would get an HP iPAQ hx2700.

My reasons: The hx2700 ends up being smaller than the X50v because it doesn't need a case. The devices are about the same size, but I could carry the hx2700 as-is in my pocket because it has a flip-up screen cover. (Yes, it's removable for those who don't like them.) Since breaking my old Casio Cassiopeia E-10 screen twice many years ago, a flip cover has been an important consideration. I have to carry my X50 in a case to protect the screen. This adds too much bulk and makes a sleek device chunky and heavier.

The hx2700 has 192MB of user-available memory, including an 80MB file store and apparently 112MB RAM. To me, RAM is the most important since I can always put in a huge memory card, which tends to be faster than file store.

The hx2700 must have better battery life than the X50v. I don't know if it has, but it couldn't be worse. The hx2700's battery has a greater capacity rating.I would miss the X50v's cool VGA screen, but the flip cover and RAM are more important if I have to choose. I don't use my Pocket PC much for entertainment and almost never for games, so I'd probably miss the Dell's graphics processor less.

One concern: HP's recent repulation for not supporting its PDAs very well, particularly with OS upgrades. Perhaps the company will support the hx2000 line better because its targeted at businesses, but I don't know if we have evidence of this despite HP's 18-month commitment (or is that just for the 4700?). This is all too bad because HP provided excellent support for the Jornada line.

Menneisyys
05-03-2005, 10:12 AM
My reasons: The hx2700 ends up being smaller than the X50v because it doesn't need a case. The devices are about the same size, but I could carry the hx2700 as-is in my pocket because it has a flip-up screen cover. (Yes, it's removable for those who don't like them.) Since breaking my old Casio Cassiopeia E-10 screen twice many years ago, a flip cover has been an important consideration. I have to carry my X50 in a case to protect the screen. This adds too much bulk and makes a sleek device chunky and heavier.

Aren't there alu cases for the Axim? They're pretty slim and, unlike leather cases, don't add much bulk to the device.

The hx2700 has 192MB of user-available memory, including an 80MB file store and apparently 112MB RAM. To me, RAM is the most important since I can always put in a huge memory card, which tends to be faster than file store.

With some manual tweaking & hacking and trying to relocate all apps to the file store and/or external memory cards, the problem of the 64M RAM can be minimized. See for example http://www.firstloox.org//forums/showthread.php?t=3705 and http://www.firstloox.org//forums/showthread.php?t=3752 on this.

The hx2700 must have better battery life than the X50v. I don't know if it has, but it couldn't be worse. The hx2700's battery has a greater capacity rating.

Unfortunately, that's true. BTW, you could also get the hx4700 or the Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox 720 if you want much better battery life (and, I would add, arguably a better screen with much better landscape viewing angle - see Deslock's comments and screenshots at http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35630 on this) than that of the x50v. Also, there is an extended batteries available for the x50v (see their benchmarks at http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/review/vga-comparing-en.shtml ) weighing only 51 grams. With that, the battery life of the device is slightly better than that of the iPAQ hx4700 and the Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox 720.

I don't use my Pocket PC much for entertainment and almost never for games, so I'd probably miss the Dell's graphics processor less.

Yeah, that's the two most important advantages of the x50v (apart from the VGA screen).

Menneisyys
05-03-2005, 10:14 AM
(BTW, I've voted for the hx4700 for the reasons listed above.)

Paragon
05-03-2005, 05:14 PM
You don't have any converged devices listed?

Sven Johannsen
05-03-2005, 05:23 PM
Aren't there alu cases for the Axim? They're pretty slim and, unlike leather cases, don't add much bulk to the device.

Yes there are, but I don't agree that the metal cases are much less bulky than leather ones, as a generic statement. I've had aluminum cases for several PPCs and I don't find them less bulky than my relatively standard SENA case(s). I agree with the OP though that an integrated screen cover seems to be such a natural requirement, that it's inclusion makes the 2270 attractive for that alone (as was the Jornada). Shame more OEMs don't recognize that.

BTW, I am happy with my X50v, but wouldn't buy it again today. I'd wait a bit and see what new comes out. I'm actually intrigued by HPs Mobile Communicator.

bbarker
05-03-2005, 11:04 PM

Yes there are, but I don't agree that the metal cases are much less bulky than leather ones, as a generic statement. I've had aluminum cases for several PPCs and I don't find them less bulky than my relatively standard SENA case(s). I agree with the OP though that an integrated screen cover seems to be such a natural requirement, that it's inclusion makes the 2270 attractive for that alone (as was the Jornada). Shame more OEMs don't recognize that.
I agree.

Also, my Rhinoskin metal case is a lot bulkier than the equivalent case for my wife's iPaq 1910.

bbarker
05-03-2005, 11:05 PM
You don't have any converged devices listed?
I guess because I'm not interested in converged devices at this point. Pretty thoughtless, I guess.

Patrick Y.
05-04-2005, 02:49 AM
The VGA Pocket PC that I like the best is A730W (not A730) and loox 720. hx4700 is too big and expensive, and x50v's performance is not as good as other VGA devices. Nevertheless, they are still nice devices. :wink:

As for hx2700, it's too expensive for a QVGA device. ($545 8O ) The fingerprint scanner on it, in my opinion, is just an expensive "toy" that raise the price. It takes longer for my friend to scan "one" finger than entering 12 digit password.

bbarker
05-04-2005, 03:23 AM
As for hx2700, it's too expensive for a QVGA device. ($545 8O ) The fingerprint scanner on it, in my opinion, is just an expensive "toy" that raise the price. It takes longer for my friend to scan "one" finger than entering 12 digit password.
I agree it's expensive for a QVGA device, but if it had been available when I bought my X50v I'd have gotten the hx2700 instead. I fell in love with it when I saw its flip cover and how much RAM it has. Those are more important to me than VGA. I saw it on sale at CompUSA recently for around the price I paid for my X50v.

I emphasize to me because I know that gamers and many others would disagree. Still, I do enjoy the VGA when I'm browsing the Web.

Patrick Y.
05-04-2005, 03:57 AM
How much did you paid for the device? When you said that it is about the price of X50v, is it around $499?

If it is, do you have to request for rebate? Base on my exprience, ComUSA might NEVER send you the rebate. I bought several softwares six months ago and never receive the rebate. My friends also have the same exprience.

I've to admit that hx2700 is a incredible device. Though, I will wait for Windows Mobile 2005 to come out..........

bbarker
05-04-2005, 04:44 AM
I think I paid around $420 for my X50v. I don't remember any details about the CompUSA deal on the hx2700. I wasn't in the market and just noted that it was around the same price as I paid and I admired its specs.

ipaq_wannabe
05-04-2005, 04:45 AM
it would seem that there is no definite winner in this poll...

bbarker
05-04-2005, 05:20 AM
You're right. I was probably too narrow in my list of devices, since I based it on my own interests.

Patrick Y.
05-04-2005, 06:19 AM
You're right. I was probably too narrow in my list of devices, since I based it on my own interests.

At least all Pocket PC are better than Palm..... :mrgreen: :devilboy:

Stephen Beesley
05-04-2005, 11:11 AM
I have just bought an Axim X50v after much comparing & research. Although I am not sold on the styling of the Dell it seemed the best value for the amount of money I had to spend. In fact it is the only VGA model I could stretch to and, for me, it was VGA & WM2003se (for the landscape mode) which made me want to upgrade .

That said, I really do like the new HPs (remind me a lot of my old Jornadas) and it any of them had VGA, or if the 4700 was not so expensive then I might have gone with one of them.

ipaq_wannabe
05-04-2005, 11:46 AM
i have a WinMobile 2003 Loox... and I just go green with envy with those VGA PPCs out there...

here in Japan - all I could get my hands on are the Dell x50v, and the iPag hx4700...

which would i buy?

i would prefer the iPaq for its battery life, and its "coolness" factor - unfortunately, its just TOO expensive...

as for the Dell, which is about JPY 20,000 (US$190) cheaper - i have to deal with a very low battery life...

any suggestions?

or should i just wait for the next release of PPCs?

PS: the iPaq has about a 1800mA battery (my Loox has 1500mA)...

bbarker
05-06-2005, 05:41 AM
ipaq_wannabe, I had to make the same decision last fall when I bought the Dell. The HP 4700 was available at that time but was too expensive. I chose the Dell X50v for its value and I have been impressed by its quality. The battery life isn't great, but I knew that and bought the X50v in a special deal that included an extra battery.

I'd make the same decision today if the hx2700 weren't available.

Ripper014
05-06-2005, 08:08 AM
Is the Asus not available... (same issue as the Dell small battery), but isn't the Loox 720 available to you...???

ipaq_wannabe
05-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Is the Asus not available... (same issue as the Dell small battery), but isn't the Loox 720 available to you...???

no... the asus is not available in japan - and if ever there would be, it would be from importers (thus making it as expensive as the ipaq)...

as for the loox 720 - incredibly, fujitsu doesnt offer it here in japan...

ipaq_wannabe
05-06-2005, 11:36 AM
ipaq_wannabe, I had to make the same decision last fall when I bought the Dell. The HP 4700 was available at that time but was too expensive. I chose the Dell X50v for its value and I have been impressed by its quality. The battery life isn't great, but I knew that and bought the X50v in a special deal that included an extra battery.

if one were a heavy user, say; i dont use any paper notes but am completely dependent on my handheld - how long do you think it would last? do you think i could go on a full day with an occasional wifi (maybe around 30 minutes), etc. etc.?

thanks!!

jwf
05-06-2005, 12:44 PM
I've got a Jornada 568 and I'm seriously tempted by a Fujitsu Siemens Loox 720, but I think I'll wait until the new OS comes out now.

JF

ipaq_wannabe
05-06-2005, 04:55 PM
I've got a Jornada 568 and I'm seriously tempted by a Fujitsu Siemens Loox 720, but I think I'll wait until the new OS comes out now.

JF

any probable sched when the new OS comes out?

jwf
05-06-2005, 05:01 PM
any probable sched when the new OS comes out?

No idea, but I'd assumed this spring/summer from the press reports.

JF

bbarker
05-09-2005, 08:55 PM

if one were a heavy user, say; i dont use any paper notes but am completely dependent on my handheld - how long do you think it would last? do you think i could go on a full day with an occasional wifi (maybe around 30 minutes), etc. etc.?

thanks!!
I'm a pretty heavy user, especially of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for Internet access. I can normally get a day of typical use, but I usually carry the extra battery just in case. If I had the larger battery I'd seldom run out of power.