View Full Version : is there a phonebook (white/yellow) for ppc?

phritosan
04-29-2005, 06:49 AM
is there a phonebook software for ppc? city specific yellow and/or white pages?

Darius Wey
04-29-2005, 06:58 AM
is there a phonebook software for ppc? city specific yellow and/or white pages?

The problem with having an offline phone book solution would be the size and the fact that it's not kept up to date 24/7. Have you considered just opening your browser and heading to the Yellow Pages or White Pages website, and searching from there? I'm not sure if it's available in your country, but where I live, I can do a residential/business search from both websites.

chefz
05-07-2005, 04:17 AM
Good point, but what if you don't have wireless connectivity and don't need the most up-to-date listings? I think that would be a killer app, because I'm always looking for numbers and hate having to page through the paper phonebook! And it could have automatically downloaded updates, just like some other programs. But the size would probably be an issue, that's for sure! :D

Darius Wey
05-07-2005, 04:42 AM
Good point, but what if you don't have wireless connectivity and don't need the most up-to-date listings? I think that would be a killer app, because I'm always looking for numbers and hate having to page through the paper phonebook! And it could have automatically downloaded updates, just like some other programs. But the size would probably be an issue, that's for sure! :D

I agree, it would be a nice application. However, two things would need to be considered: Size (as you mentioned), but more importantly, licensing issues. If Yellow or White Pages released an offline mobile application, then it would be okay, but there are many barriers that need to be broken if a third party developer was to be involved. Licensing information from phone directory services and the telephone company isn't a walk in the park. A lot of paperwork is involved, and sadly, if it were to happen, it would take a long time. :|

chefz
05-07-2005, 04:47 PM
Oh yeah, good point about the licensing - I guess I was hoping it would be the phone companies that offered the product as a service to their customers as opposed to a third-party developer - although it's not very likely! :wink: