View Full Version : New VGA Skin for Pocket Windows Media Player 10

djpandora
04-29-2005, 12:48 AM
Hello all,

I noticed that there was a major lack VGA skins for WMP10 Pocket. Here is a nice little skin I whipped up:

http://cincij.twistedpixels.com/Plastic.jpg

You can download it HERE (http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=17755)

Jason Dunn
04-29-2005, 01:42 AM
Wow! NICE WORK! :way to go:

Don't Panic!
04-29-2005, 01:51 AM
It is pretty but I've been spoiled by the other skinners who give their stuff away. Not there have been many since we changed from WMP7.1 :bawl:

MitchellO
04-29-2005, 04:29 AM
Yeah, I find it amazing that something like a Pocket PC skins has to be bought. US$5? I don't think so. Not for a skin. $2 maybe, but not $5.

Jason Dunn
04-29-2005, 05:19 AM
Moved to the announcements forum since it's an advertisement (I didn't realize he was selling it).

Darius Wey
04-29-2005, 06:54 AM
It is pretty but I've been spoiled by the other skinners who give their stuff away. Not there have been many since we changed from WMP7.1 :bawl:

I'm in the same boat. In the past, I've enjoyed downloading and installing free skins, whether it be on the PC or Pocket PC, which is why I've never sold any of my creations just so I can use it as a way to return the favour to the community. That's just my two cents though. Whether someone sells their skins is entirely up to them. There's a reason behind everything, even if it means using it as a way to pay off the rent. And whatever the reason, I respect anyone's decision to release a product of theirs for free or for sale. :)

But I do agree that there aren't many Windows Media Mobile skins available. It's ironic because Windows Media is packaged with every Pocket PC, yet it's probably one of the only media players out there with the least amount of skins available for download. :?

djpandora
04-29-2005, 10:09 AM
Good Morning All,

Perhaps I should clarify why I decided to sell this skin. At first I decided to post it for free over on the Aximsite.com. In 1 days time I received 100+ views, approx. 75 downloads, and a grand total of 1 thank you. I worked on this skin for around 20 hours, and I pay for the bandwith on the site it is downloaded from.

I did not mean to anger anyone just because I am a bit bitter. That being said, here is a link to this skin for free for a limited time:

Plastic (http://cincij.twistedpixels.com/Plastic.zip)

surur
04-29-2005, 12:00 PM
Thank you. Ive just downloaded it. Unfortunately I have no idea how or where to install it. Also is it just for WMP10, or WMP9 too.

Surur

Darius Wey
04-29-2005, 01:09 PM
Unfortunately I have no idea how or where to install it. Also is it just for WMP10, or WMP9 too.

The simplest way to install it is to have the files stored in a folder of its own (e.g. Plastic) and have that folder stored in \Program Files\Windows Media. It should appear in the Skins menu of Windows Media once you restart the application.

The code used in the skin file is tagged with "Pocket WMP Skin File v9.0.1" which is used to signify support for WMP9 and above. Therefore, it should be compatible with WMP9 also. And looking at the rest of the code used, there aren't any exclusive WMP10 functions supported in the skin (with the exception of VolPercent, which shouldn't stop the skin from working since it's a minor "render-only" limitation), so it should work without a hitch.

hubdog
05-07-2005, 08:09 AM
I joined this forum just so I could say thank you for the skin. I also wish I had a tenth the artistic ability that you seem to enjoy.

Thank you again,

Hubdog

volwrath
05-08-2005, 04:16 PM
Looks good! Thanks for the DL. I will try it out (not that I listen to WMP that much)

FrozenIpaq
05-08-2005, 10:13 PM
20 hours to make a skin for WMP is a long time!!, must have run into a lot of problems, but im glad you released a limited version for free, the only real time you should ever put a price on something is if it is worth the money, like contains a suite of other program skins. Wish i had a VGA device tho, all skins are VGA now :(, good work and i hope you can create other skins, maybe for Wisbar Advance 2 :roll:

djpandora
05-08-2005, 11:36 PM
It took me a bit long because this is my first attempt at skinning anything. That plus the fact I had it nearly complete for Mort Player and then decided to switch to WMP 10.

I may do some more skinning down the road, but right now I don't have enough free time to spend on it.

---Josh

OSUKid7
05-18-2005, 01:17 AM
Thanks for a great skin, and even more, for giving it away for free. It looks great on my iPAQ hx4705. :)

martin_ayton
06-03-2005, 09:53 AM
Perhaps I should clarify why I decided to sell this skin. At first I decided to post it for free over on the Aximsite.com. In 1 days time I received 100+ views, approx. 75 downloads, and a grand total of 1 thank you. I worked on this skin for around 20 hours, and I pay for the bandwith on the site it is downloaded from.

Add one to the no. of downloads, and one to the list of 'thank you's' - I appreciate it when people give of their time, ability and bandwidth to bless others :) , but I do understand that people have to eat - and have $$ to buy the kit on which to program this stuff.

dmr54
06-09-2005, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the skin, I really like it :)