View Full Version : Number Portability Finally Coming to Canada

Jason Dunn
04-28-2005, 09:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/CalgarySun/News/2005/04/22/1008041-sun.html' target='_blank'>http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Calga...008041-sun.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Canada's 15-million mobile-phone subscribers will soon no longer face a major obstacle to abandoning a cellphone company: They'll be able to have the same telephone number with a different provider. The country's mobile operators have agreed to allow customers to retain numbers when changing networks within the same local calling area. The Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association announced the agreement on number portability, which will also allow customers to keep the same phone number when transferring landline service to wireless or vice versa."</i><br /><br />In typical Canadian fashion, we watch what happens in the US first, then follow suit eventually. :roll: At any rate, this is good news - assuming that it actually happens soon and doesn't take a decade to slowly roll out (we Canadians love paperwork you see).

Paragon
04-28-2005, 10:32 PM
And in typical Canadian fashion it will have to be bundled with a "roll up the rim to win" deal before anyone takes notice. :-)

I'd be curious to know what the figures are in the US for those who have taken advatage of it?

Dave

BugDude10
04-28-2005, 10:36 PM
Hey, great! Now y'all can take your numbers and move outta Canada! (Just kidding!)

Jonathon Watkins
04-28-2005, 10:40 PM
You mean that you guys don't have that already? 8O OK, I guess I'm surprised as we have have that in the UK for years. I ported my mobile phone number from T-mobile to O2 around four years ago. Ditto for my land-line number.

It's a nice option to have. Just don't ask about changing ADSL lines at the same time. :roll: Lets just say that BT messed everything up badly with cancelling and then reinstating the line and messing around with temporary numbers etc. :evil: