View Full Version : Brighthand and Rumours of Axims

Jonathon Watkins
04-27-2005, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://brighthand.com/article/Dell_Roadmap_for_2005-2006' target='_blank'>http://brighthand.com/article/Dell_...p_for_2005-2006</a><br /><br /></div>Ready for a few rumours? Of course you are. :wink: Someone has apparently been talking to Brighthand about Dell's plans for the Axim line through to the end of 2006. So what do you guys reckon? Do the following rumours have a ring of truth about them, or is this just wishful thinking?<br /><br /><i>"Dell's Axim X30 models, which was introduced almost a year ago, will be discontinued in the next month or so. The Axim X50, though, will be around for more than another year. This is a strong indication that Dell intends to release a Windows Mobile 2005 upgrade for this device. This fall, Dell plans to release a new handheld with a multimedia focus. . . . Dell will emphasize its audio and video playback capabilities, as well as its ability to play games. To allow it to store large amounts of music and video, this will be Dell's first handheld with a built-in hard drive. . . .In mid-2006, Dell intends to introduce its first cellular-wireless handheld."</i>

ADBrown
04-28-2005, 12:00 AM
I don't consider this credible. While Brighthand doesn't say where they got their information, it's almost certainly from a post made on Aximsite in late 2004 by someone who claimed to have seen a Dell roadmap.

Eliminating the X30 would be foolish. There's nothing in the low-cost segment that's equal to the X30, despite it being a year old. And a cell phone would entirely run against Dell's business practices--they like high-margin, easy-entry markets with direct sales. The cell phone market is entirely indirect sales, difficult entry, and relatively low margin (by quantity, if not by price).

PPCRules
04-28-2005, 01:14 AM
What's the big deal about a "built-in" hard drive? Seems to me you can put a Microdrive in the CF slot and be better off than having a built-in. Swap between multiple devices (camera, desktop/laptop), instant upgrade when a larger size comes out, easily repaired (by replacing it). Why does anyone want a built-in drive? It would probably eliminate the CF slot anyway on most models. We all rejoiced when batteries started being user replacable. I think it would be a step backward to start "building in" the device's mass storage memory.

huangzhinong
04-28-2005, 03:34 AM
Buildin 4gb HD only costs about $60. Buying a 4gb hd need about $200, while flash 4gb cost more.

Paragon
04-28-2005, 03:44 AM
Geez, I don't know. There seem to be a few things in there that I find questionable. First, to see Dell come out with a media player, gaming device with a hardrive seems rather cutting edge for Dell. They like to see a market segment mature before they jump in. Here it seems like they are planning a device that combines a number of features that we haven't seen done yet. Next, I can see them keeping the x50 line for another year, but to then say they are going to replace it with a converged device doesn't see to make sense. Why would you replace a standard Pocket PC with a converged device? I can't see Dell coming out with a Smartphone type of device. It just doesn't seem to make sense for Dell to commission a Smartphone, or any converged device to then sell it to a carrier. It's just not the Dell way...too many fingers in the pie.

What I can see Dell doing with a converged device is coming to market with say....something like...a Dell branded HTC Universal. :idea: This fits much more in line with Dell. Carrier Devices (iMate) are making a name for themselves do just that. I think Dell could do it in a huge way through its own marketing channels.

Dave

gt24
04-28-2005, 05:26 AM
I don't consider this credible. While Brighthand doesn't say where they got their information, it's almost certainly from a post made on Aximsite in late 2004 by someone who claimed to have seen a Dell roadmap.
&lt;snip>

This didn't start at Aximsite, as far as I know, but the explaination was in their thread.

That would be me!!! :hi:

What's even weirder is that I've posted about this several times on here and Brighthand and nobody else picked it up! :shrug:

Couple of things need to be picked up on in the discussion so far.

Nobody said it would be a free upgrade to 2005. Nobody's said that there would be a upgrade released to 2005. All that has been said about the X50 series is that one would be released running 2005.

Dell see the x50 as a stepping stone to a next level of Dual focus devices.

If you look at Dell current range of non-PC items there are two massive holes..

1 - A MP4/VideoPlayer
2 - Converged Device

It's my understanding that during 2005 a fully capable PDA (including HDD) to fill the first gap will be released. And a 2nd device to fill the last gap will be release in 2006 (which will replace the X50 range).

Some background about me? I work for one of Dell's largest customers. The company I work for buys in excess of a half million PC's a year from Dell (last year we hit 1.5 million). We only buy Laptops and Desktop from Dell. Some we use in house about 2/3 we sell on with equipment we make and sell direct.

But they (Dell and others) keep pushing us to buy Servers, Switches, Handhelds etc from them. So most large companies including Dell are very happy to share their roadmaps with us.

But the information I gave ED was part of a presentation Dell gave as a TechTour at the end of 2004.

www.dell-events.com/tst

It's not NDA so I'm clear. But the information is vague and I had to push the Dell reps to get anything else out of them. But they didn't know a whole lot as most of the stuff hasn't been finalized so they don't know a whole lot about it. Just rumours.

Feel free to ask questions but I can't provide definitive answers because I don't know a whole lot! :approve: :shrug:

yslee
04-28-2005, 05:28 AM
They don't seem to sell the X30 anymore in Asia Pacific..

I'll agree this does seem a bit too cutting edge for Dell, but we shall see!

Stephen Beesley
04-28-2005, 06:52 AM
Well I for one am hoping that at least the bit about a possible upgrade to WM2005 for the x50v is true (could it be because I have just bought one... :lol: ).

I have always thought that the memory configuration of the Dell (128meg flash and 64meg ram) sounded like a device with the new OS in mind.

ADBrown
04-28-2005, 07:25 AM
This didn't start at Aximsite, as far as I know, but the explaination was in their thread.

I wasn't referring to that post--hadn't seen it--but another older one that claimed exactly the information Brighthand gave.

gt24
04-28-2005, 07:30 AM

I wasn't referring to that post--hadn't seen it--but another older one that claimed exactly the information Brighthand gave.

Quoting... "What's even weirder is that I've posted about this several times on here and Brighthand and nobody else picked it up!" So in other words, this person was posting at Aximsite and Brighthand, many times, about this rumor and nobody paid attention to it until recently, thus why you swore you saw it before.

felixdd
04-28-2005, 08:10 AM
Weren't there rumors before that Dell was contracting PalmOne to make them Windows-based Treos? That may connect to the recent BH rumors. That said, however, I don't believe Dell will follow through and dabble in the cellphone market -- too risky and too little return.

I can see Dell pushing an entertainment-oriented device, however. A big chunk of Dell's market is the post-secondary education sector; a multimedia-oriented device would definitely appeal to many students and steal sales from potential Ipod and PSP buyers -- especially if they keep prices low. And something "multimedia oriented" can be similar to something as mundane as the rx3715.

carphead
04-28-2005, 09:01 AM
Welcome to the party! :)

:twak: My and my big mouth!

carphead
04-28-2005, 12:00 PM

Quoting... "What's even weirder is that I've posted about this several times on here and Brighthand and nobody else picked it up!" So in other words, this person was posting at Aximsite and Brighthand, many times, about this rumor and nobody paid attention to it until recently, thus why you swore you saw it before.

Yep. I reckon since I had the information about four months ago I must of posted about three times on it. Didn't really realize that it was that important or unique (which it isn't) just seem to tweak Ed's interest for some reason :)

He wrote the artical then pow it's get onto /.

Ed@Brighthand
04-28-2005, 02:21 PM
I'd missed carphead's previous posts on this. I try to skim everything that gets posted on Brighthand, but there's just no way one person can read it all. That's why we have a bunch of moderators.

Anyway, carphead sent me some proof that completely convinced me that this info was legit. I'm not going to release the document because there's a small chance it could get him in trouble. You'll have to take my word for it. Or take it with a grain of salt. It's your choice.

If Dell wants to keep making handhelds for corporate users, it's eventually going to have to put out a cellular-wireless handheld. That's the direction the majority of this market is going. I guess Dell decided to wait a bit and not put one out until next year.

I don't believe that Dell is going to make a smartphone. These are mostly bought by individuals, not corporations, and the margins are very, very thin.

emuelle1
04-28-2005, 02:30 PM
I'm supposed to get my x30 today. I can't wait. Whatever Dell decides to do, the x30 is a great device that still has a lot of life and use left in it.

PPCRules
04-28-2005, 05:01 PM
I'd love to see a PPC vender offer a PocketPC product that could be pitted against PSP. It would likely come up short in many areas but would also be ahead in many area that the PocketPC OS provides. I think we would all benefit from the greater number of device sales. Gaming would drive the most sales, but being known as a decent media/video player platform would be a good second punch if the games offered can't fully compete.

Just keep it pocketable.

Jonathon Watkins
04-28-2005, 11:48 PM
I try to skim everything that gets posted on Brighthand, but there's just no way one person can read it all.

I know what you mean. There's gold nuggets in them forums, but we can't pan them all. That's why we appreciate readers sending news to us directly. :way to go:

IIf Dell wants to keep making handhelds for corporate users, it's eventually going to have to put out a cellular-wireless handheld. That's the direction the majority of this market is going.

That makes sense. Connectivity is everything these days, or so it seems......