View Full Version : Is SPB Diary a rip off of Pocket Breeze ?

dommasters
04-27-2005, 05:14 PM
Is SPB Diary a rip off of Pocket Breeze ?

Bruno Figueiredo
04-28-2005, 11:11 AM
Rip-Off? What are you talking about? That way, PocketBreeze also would be a ripoff of PIToday. Don't we have OpenOffice and MS Office?
Is the latter a rip-off? No. They just battle over the same market. Did they use code from one another? No. So, why are all you guys raging about this? Geez...

Rudism
04-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Maybe all the people who bought PocketBreeze when there was no alternative are upset now that they didn't wait?

coolabah
04-29-2005, 01:58 AM
Maybe all the people who bought PocketBreeze when there was no alternative are upset now that they didn't wait?

I really find it strange that some people will just throw in a random inflammatory comment that seems to come from nowhere . Upset because they didn't wait ?? Why ?? What would they have been waiting for ?? A number ten bus ?? Godot? :D Like, what , it takes five years to save up $14.95, now they'll have to re-mortgage the house if they want SPB's product now?? That's like me saying "wow if you believe that then you must be wearing ugly blue socks"
:roll:
For the record, I don't care if SPB has allegedly copied SBSH- but do you really believe they haven't ?. The screenshot of their user interface seems to me to be close to identical but I guess that's just a random coincidence. Really. Just a fluke, fate, kismet. Not copying. Uh-huh.
I'd like to see the fur fly if someone tried to do that with WinXP (even though you know who allegedly originally got the GUI idea from the other you know who), or put up a picture of Mickey M at their business without paying royalties....

Just my 2 cents (allowing for inflation) :devilboy:

applejosh
04-29-2005, 02:54 AM
It does look strikingly similar, but I haven't loaded it and looked at it closely, so I really can't judge. However, I don't buy software just because of how it looks. I try to look at the support aspect (at least now I do), and SBSH eclipses quite a number of developers in terms of the support they offer (especially the turnaround time for responses). So, I'm happy with them, I won't buy the SPB product, and I'll probably upgrade SBSH's products rather than jump ship (unless Amit gets rid of his clones who do all the work). Whether I think it's an illegal copy is irrelevant (I'm not a lawyer, and I don't own stock in either company). I'll vote with the almighty (but not as almighty as it used to be) dollar.

KTamas
04-29-2005, 04:13 AM
Rip-Off? What are you talking about? That way, PocketBreeze also would be a ripoff of PIToday. Don't we have OpenOffice and MS Office?
Is the latter a rip-off? No. They just battle over the same market. Did they use code from one another? No. So, why are all you guys raging about this? Geez...
PocketBreeze and PIToday are TWO DIFFERENT apps. They are not Rip-offs of each others. They have many-many differences, and both made things in their OWN ways. PIToday is more like having PI on your today screen...while PB is a more "general" program. If you try both, you'll see.

dlangton
04-29-2005, 05:05 AM
Actually, Pocket Breeze is a ripoff of Kitara Genesis, which came way before Pocket Breeze. It's almost a direct copy of the best ideas.

KTamas
04-29-2005, 05:11 AM
Actually, Pocket Breeze is a ripoff of Kitara Genesis, which came way before Pocket Breeze. It's almost a direct copy of the best ideas.
Not really...Calendar Plus Pro (PB's previous name) 4.0 has been released at june 25, 2003, while kitara genesis has released at dec 1, 2003.

JMac
04-29-2005, 05:35 AM
Not really...Calendar Plus Pro (PB's previous name) 4.0 has been released at june 25, 2003, while kitara genesis has released at dec 1, 2003.

Actually, the first release of Calendar Plus Pro as a Today screen plug-in (albeit pretty basic at the time!) was released on December 8, 2002!

The name was changed to Pocketbreeze in a major upgrade released on May 30, 2004.

I don't believe that any of those mentioned, even your Ulti-Planner, Birdman, was released back then.

Ripper014
04-29-2005, 06:55 AM
I think the point is that putting information on the Today screen is not a new idea... if someone believes they can do better, then all the power to them. It makes for better products for the community... if it is better than Pocket Breeze then SBSH will need to step it up and improve on what is available. Competition keeps everyone pushing to improved their products... not that Pocket Breeze has ever needed a push.

The thing is... whoever builds the better mousetrap will be the one that gets the business... and there is nothing wrong with that. The problem arises when someone creates an exact copy by using the same coding.

I say again... competition is a good thing.

Dinosaur
04-29-2005, 07:08 AM
PocketBreeze and PIToday are TWO DIFFERENT apps. They are not Rip-offs of each others. They have many-many differences, and both made things in their OWN ways. PIToday is more like having PI on your today screen...while PB is a more "general" program. If you try both, you'll see.

Then I guess the inventors of the wheel from 5000B.C. had better start complaining about Bridgestone, Goodyear, Yokohama and Dunlop. They all do the same thing. They all look round. They all roll along the ground. So why not start a wheel war then? But then again, the reason why we have so many high quality products to choose from is because of competition, regardless of who ripped off who. Move on guys! :roll:

AximMeister
04-29-2005, 08:54 AM
Hey they're similar but what's the problem. Diary has better icons so why not add them to Pocket Breeze ? Just competition and both products will benefit. I think Diary looks better but I'd swap it for Pocket Breeze if it had Diary's icons... maybe. 'Ripping off' is good for all of us. I just wish SPB would hurry up and ripp a few other stagnating apps. Diary looks cool on my X50 !

Rudism
04-29-2005, 02:01 PM

I really find it strange that some people will just throw in a random inflammatory comment that seems to come from nowhere .

Was not really intended to be inflammatory, merely a stab at the reason why this program seems to have cause such a huge upset among PocketBreeze users. If my comment has also upset PocketBreeze users then I apologize.

Jason Lee
04-29-2005, 04:53 PM
Hey they're similar but what's the problem. Diary has better icons so why not add them to Pocket Breeze ? Just competition and both products will benefit. I think Diary looks better but I'd swap it for Pocket Breeze if it had Diary's icons... maybe. 'Ripping off' is good for all of us. I just wish SPB would hurry up and ripp a few other stagnating apps. Diary looks cool on my X50 !

LOL I already did. I copied all the catagory icons over. Also grabed the note, reminder, etc from the windows directory. Can use them to make a custom skin. :mrgreen:

Kati Compton
04-29-2005, 07:35 PM
I just wish SPB would hurry up and ripp a few other stagnating apps. Diary looks cool on my X50 !
Regardless of how people feel on this issue, one can hardly call Pocket Breeze "stagnant"...

applejosh
04-29-2005, 10:56 PM
Regardless of how people feel on this issue, one can hardly call Pocket Breeze "stagnant"...

Oh come on. They haven't come out with a release since the beginning of the week. Slackers. ;)