View Full Version : Which VGA PocketPC to buy?

possmann
04-27-2005, 04:45 PM
Hi All;

Looking to move to a VGA screen PocketPC but I really don't need or want a CF card in it. I've got a 1945 (HP) now and all I have every used is the SD card - are there any VGA screen PocketPC devices out there with only the SD card?

Any recommendations?

I've looked long and hard at the Dell and the new HP device - given the choice between the 2 I'd take the Dell over the HP. But what else is out there - anyone?

ADBrown
04-27-2005, 05:19 PM
No, there aren't any VGA PPCs with only an SD card. They're all high end, which means dual slots.

The only other VGA model worth looking at is the Loox 720. It has 128 MB of RAM and USB Host, but is more expensive than the Axim and has a slower processor.

GSmith
04-27-2005, 06:00 PM
I'm a big fan of the Loox 720. It also has reportedly much better battery life than the Axim. And we have recently discovered how to make an audio cradle for the Loox 720 as well. The lower MHz does not seem to be a big deal to Loox 720 owners (obviously, since they're owners).

I bought it because it's only a 1/4 inch taller than my iPAQ 2215. There are noticable (I think) differences in size between the VGA devices currently on the market.

Greg Smith
Author, FeederReader - The Pocket PC RSS, podcatcher, videocatcher
www.FeederReader.com - Download on the Road

Menneisyys
04-27-2005, 09:45 PM
You may want to check out my VGA link collection at http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117248 or http://www.pocketmatrix.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21050

ADBrown
04-27-2005, 09:55 PM
To chime in with another viewpoint, I far prefer the Axim. It has more power behind it, including the Intel 2700G 3D accelerator/video decoder chip. This lets you run DVD-quality video without taxing the main processor, thus saving power, and it also allows you to use some really stunning 3D applications. Great build quality, 128 MB of flash memory, nice styling--very similar to the 1945--and VGA-output round out the list of selling points.

Stephen Beesley
04-27-2005, 10:40 PM
After much internal debate about this very question I have just purchased an Axim x50v.

I have to admit that one of the big reasons I went for the Axim is cost - using the strong € against the US$ I found a good deal which was considerably cheaper than buying it here in Ireland. That said, even at full price here, the Axim is still considerably cheaper than the Loox let alone the HP 4700.

But my decision was based on more than it just being cheaper - I think it has the best value for money set of features. I actually prefer the styling of the newer HPs but apart from that the Axim has everything I want and more.

I for one am pretty happy with the 128meg flash rom v 64 meg ram configuration as against some of the others which have the opposite- why you ask...

Well I think it supports the rumours that Dell may be planning a WM2005 version of the x50v and perhaps even an upgrade (of course I am not naive enough to put any real faith in this :D) - after all this is the very memory configuration that would make the most sense with what we know of WM2005s memory managment scheme.

Okay I know I am probably fooling myself here, but the bottom line is that even without an upgrade path I think the Axim is the best value for money of the VGA devices out there at the moment.

Only my opinion of course...

BUMP THAT
04-28-2005, 03:25 PM
@Stephen Beesley

Nice, When will it arrive? Are you going to get the Extended Battery? I almost got an x50v as well.

possmann
04-28-2005, 04:00 PM
Yeah I'm leaning to the Axim - value concious; but then again I'm hearing things about Magneto and how that ought to be out by Q3... Seeing that I'm going to spring for a smartphone OS device in the next month, perhaps I can still limp along with my 1945 for several more months - waiting until the first couple magneto OS devices get released...

Kowalski
04-28-2005, 04:12 PM
i dont think that axim will beat eighter loox 720 or hp 4700.
axim has a very short battery life compared to other units, and you have to carry a secondary battery or you'll end up with dead battery by the end of the day.
battery life is very important for me, if i wont be able to use my device because of short battery life, what is the point of having a pda?

also i dont care if the device has the latest video chip, because i dont have time to play games.

i wish that loox 720 or hp 4700 had single slot, and this would keep the size of the device smaller. think of this: 4" screen with a size just a little bit larger than 4155!

ADBrown
04-28-2005, 05:05 PM
You can't get a 4 inch screen into a device the size of a 4155. It's simple physical engineering.

The Axim's battery life isn't as bad as it's made out to be. You're talking about 3-6 hours of continuous use, compared to 4-7 hours for the iPaq or the Loox.

Magneto might not be that long of a wait. There are some indications that it will be released as early as the second week of May. In any event, if there are any upgrades for existing devices, the Axim is probably going to be one of them. No guarantees, but it seems likely.

Stephen Beesley
04-28-2005, 09:54 PM
@Stephen Beesley

Nice, When will it arrive? Are you going to get the Extended Battery? I almost got an x50v as well.

Probably a little while off yet - I ordered it from the states and the payment is still working its way through the international banking system, then it has to be shipped to me here in Ireland so probably a not for another two weeks maybe. How will i survive.

I just took delivery of a stowaway BT Mouse and Keyboard which I am dying to try out so the wait is really tough.

No plans to get an extended battery (I have a battery extender which I carry pretty much everywhere in my backpack), but I will probably pick up a second standard battery at some stage - I normally do this with all of my PDAs.

I would love to have been able to afford the HP 4700 (although I am just not sold on the whole touch pad thing...) but in terms of value for money the Axim has it licked as far as I am concerned!

AximMeister
04-29-2005, 08:46 AM
My X50 has me hooked. The best thing is it doesn't come loaded with too much 3rd party software. Prefer to have the option of what I install.

plschwartz
05-02-2005, 06:27 PM
I don't know how it is with the axim, but my experience with Dell service for this Inspiron was so horrific that, though the price for the axim is great, I will never go near a Dell again. Hours of wait, the refusal to answer winxp questions (we only warranty hardware), outright rudeness (by the americans_ I hvae had much better luck with Indian techs) are part of the mix.
If some of you have had better sevice by Dell on the Axim I would certainly want to hear it.

Patrick Y.
05-04-2005, 03:02 AM
The two models I prefer the most is A730W (not A730) and Loox. (of course!) Both models have a camera (not very good quality though....) and better performance than Dell.

onesojourner
05-07-2005, 02:08 AM
but for the price you cant beat the x50v. last week they had it down to $400 + extra battery + free shipping.

Patrick Y.
05-07-2005, 06:22 AM
Price of Axims are unbeatable indeed. But for some reason, I just like A730w better.

I always have one question though......... Is it better to buy now or wait (patience!) for Magneto to come out? :wink: :?:

From what I've heard so far, people are busily upgrading to VGA devices recently. What are they going to do when Magneto is introduced?

Kowalski
05-07-2005, 07:55 AM
I always have one question though......... Is it better to buy now or wait (patience!) for Magneto to come out? :wink: :?:

From what I've heard so far, people are busily upgrading to VGA devices recently. What are they going to do when Magneto is introduced?

they will be busy upgrading to magento :wink: