View Full Version : Spyware???!!!

Toggs
04-25-2005, 05:59 PM
I've recently noticed that some unknown task or process on my Pocket PC is sometimes trying to connect to the Internet because the Network Log On window pops up when I don't expect it to. I'm a bit concerned that there's some spyware or similar that's running in the background that's trying to communicate with the outside world without me knowing about it. How can I work out what's causing this?

Menneisyys
04-25-2005, 06:04 PM
I've recently noticed that some unknown task or process on my Pocket PC is sometimes trying to connect to the Internet because the Network Log On window pops up when I don't expect it to. I'm a bit concerned that there's some spyware or similar that's running in the background that's trying to communicate with the outside world without me knowing about it. How can I work out what's causing this?

I seriously doubt it's spyware. There're very few virii/backdoors for the Pocket PC. You may want to read http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115709
on this subject.

What you may really have is a Today plug-in that continuously tries to access info to update its state from the Internet. Check them first.

Second, check if you have a Messaging/Pocket Inbox POP3 account with constant mail downloading. It's not turned on by default, though.

jpf
04-26-2005, 12:27 AM
This can happen when there are wireless networks available but you haven't 'connected' to any of them.
It could be a neighbor with an open wireless network if you don't have one yourself, in which case you can either leech their connection or switch off your wireless.

Menneisyys
04-26-2005, 10:25 AM
This can happen when there are wireless networks available but you haven't 'connected' to any of them.
It could be a neighbor with an open wireless network if you don't have one yourself, in which case you can either leech their connection or switch off your wireless.

Yes, it's how WZC works. By just disabling Wi-Fi, it'll simply go away.