View Full Version : Toshiba e740 & Bluetooth CompactFlash Billionton for GPS?

mattlori
04-24-2005, 12:19 AM
Hello,

I'm brand new to both PDA's, GPS and Bluetooth, but today inherited a Toshiba e740 when my dad upgraded. I also now have a billionton bluetooth compactflash card and hope to use it for gps.

When i install the card I get an "insufficient driver memory available" error no matter what I do. Any help or suggestions in solving or getting around this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Matt

ADBrown
04-24-2005, 02:59 AM
Try a soft reset. Somewhere on the machine is a little dimple the size of the stylus tip. Stick the stylus into that hole, and the machine will reboot.

mattlori
04-24-2005, 03:19 AM
Thanks for the reply!
That is one thing I've tried numerous times. No change.
I wish it were that easy.
Any other suggestions?
Matt

jimski
04-24-2005, 06:15 AM
There may be too many things loading at startup after a soft reset. You can go to Settings/Personal/Today/Items and disable all but the basic Today Screen Plug-Ins (like Calender or Inbox) which will free up memory. You need to perform a soft reset after disabling plug-ins to see the effect.

You can also go to File Explorer/My Device/Windows/Startup to see what is actually loading when you soft reset your device. Some of these files may be necessary for your device to work properly, but if there are things like Voice Commander loading, you can move the file to another directory temporarially and see if that helps. Again, you need to soft reset to regain available memory.

Finally, after a soft reset you can go to Settings/System/Memory and determine how much Program Memory is allocated. You can try moving the slider to the left to increase the amount of available Program Memory.

You can try these steps one at a time and once the card loads, you can then go back and restore the original setting one at a time until you reach the Program Memory threshold.

This is a frustration for many PPC users. I have 75MB of Program memory allocated on my 128MB device, but once I get to about 25MB in use, I can't open things like Bluetooth or Wireless. Hopefully someone will eventually get this right.

ADBrown
04-24-2005, 05:49 PM
Also, you might try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver for the card, if you have the original CD for it.

mattlori
04-24-2005, 10:56 PM
The e740 has a bunch of stuff my Dad left on it from when he used it.
Maybe I'll try starting over from scratch and just trying to get the
gps working before trying to add anything else. Anyways, it's a fun
thing to play with!

Thanks for your advice,
Matt