View Full Version : Ghosts Of PCExpo

TomB
04-23-2005, 08:18 AM
I have been very disappointed over the past four years at the decline of what used to be PCExpo. Now that summer is getting closer and TechX and CeBit NY are gone for good, I am feeling like something would have been better than nothing. I really miss the excitement of those earlier shows, when anything could happen and major companies would actually demo unreleased devices and there were honest to gosh engineers on hand to answer questions. I can remember meeting Jason Dunn and Dale Coffing at a TechX when Microsoft was really hitting the PPC hard and walking out thinking I had been to mobile tech heaven!

At the close of the last TechX, I started thinking that major shows were a waste of time and effort. However, now that they are gone, I am missing the brotherhood of fellow tech-heads all sniffing out the latest cool technology. I guess this is a thing of the past, but...

Janak Parekh
04-23-2005, 07:44 PM
I know what you mean. :( Let's see what happens with DigitalLife -- it just might fill the void. It's coming this year, right?

--janak

TomB
04-24-2005, 08:12 PM
Janak, actually the first DigitalLife last summer was really hopping but on a much lower level. It was aimed at teen to young adult male consumers / gamers> It was pretty flashy and had the buzz and excitement of an old PCExpo, but really didn't have the technology you and I are used to seeing. For instance there were some game platforms and a handfull of mobile media players, that was it. Lots of glitz and it was a fun show to be at, but no replacement for what was. BTW - this event is produced by PCMagazine, not a huge show organization.

Actually you got to go to a pre-show the eve of TechX that sounded ten times better then the main show. Is that still happening? If so I would love to get on the guest list for that!

Janak Parekh
04-24-2005, 08:32 PM
Actually you got to go to a pre-show the eve of TechX that sounded ten times better then the main show. Is that still happening? If so I would love to get on the guest list for that!
Dunno - we get email about it a week or two before. I have not yet gotten any such email.

--janak