View Full Version : Weather Program for Pocket Pc

wirelesscop
04-23-2005, 04:57 AM
Hey Everyone,

I just purchased an Audiovox XV6600 (Verizon Wireless) and was looking for a good WEATHER PROGRAM for it. I LOVE Weatherbug but I don't see where it's available for a pocket pc yet. Does anyone know of a similar program to Weatherbug that works well for the Pocket Pc?

Thanks!

G M Fude
04-23-2005, 05:34 AM
WeatherBug is pretty full-featured, if you want all of that on your PPC then PocketWeather (http://www.sbsh.net/products/pocketweather/) is an option. I've read it's a bit buggy. WeatherPanel (http://www.marsware.net/WeatherPanel/main.htm) is also recommended.

If you only want forecasts without radar and satellite and stuff, the Spb Weather (http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/weather/?en) is good. I use it, and it has a zillion cities, integrates nicely with the Today screen if you have Spb Plus, and is quite configurable. In my (perhaps limited) experience, Spb software also seems to be rock solid and bug free.

Also, check out this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38877&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=weather) for other comments.

wirelesscop
04-23-2005, 02:31 PM
Hey,

Thanks for the reply. Not to sound too stupid...but can you actually put the Weatherbug program on a PPC? I thought that it was either for Windows Xp, etc... or you could use it on a Smartphone.

Can you just install the "regular computer" version on the PPC? Or is their a special PPC version that I am missing?

Thanks!

Jon Westfall
04-23-2005, 02:35 PM
You can't install Weatherbug on your PPC as it is not built for Windows Mobile. I think what G M Fude was trying to say was that if you like the features of Weatherbug on your desktop, then PocketWeather is a program with equiviliant features you could use on your PPC.

I'll give a second nod to Spb Weather. I use it, and its very nice, runs reasonably fast, and does integrate nicely to the today screen as a plugin for SpB Pocket Plus.

applejosh
04-23-2005, 06:47 PM
I use WeatherPanel (www.marsware.net) very happily. I've also used Pocket Weather (I think they've worked through most of their update issues), Stocks & Weather Today, and JournalBar. I can recommend all except JournalBar (which seemed to cause random lockups quite often when I last had it - they could well have fixed any issues, but I haven't tried it lately since being happy with WeatherPanel).

If you try Weather Panel, be sure to check out the forums on Marsware's site for additional tweaks and such to the layouts.

Jereboam
04-23-2005, 07:29 PM
Props to WeatherPanel. It's the pick of the bunch, and the beta version is already at 2.4.5 and is a complete rewrite. Major speed improvements and other tweaks. Due for official release soon I would think.

J'bm

Darius Wey
04-24-2005, 02:34 AM
Personally, I like Spb Weather, but if you love the idea of tab integration, you can also incorporate other weather applications such as WeatherPanel or PocketWeather as a tab inside PocketBreeze (if you own it). Just a thought.

apprentice
04-24-2005, 10:47 AM
I must confess to being a bit of a Weatherholic and have tried numerous weather apps for my PPC.

However be cautious with WeatherPanel !! I was using a PAYG SIM card in the phone and did my usual daily update to refresh the weather status, where upon it completely rinsed my credit to a cost of £7 ($12) If you are too generous with the settings and download sat maps etc it can end up downloading 1 to 2MB of data per session. It is a very good weather application but you need to bare this in mind.

I now use SPB Weather, which as the above posts suggest is very good at its job and is great if you use Pocket Plus to integrate it. It is a bit basic compared to others but it is accurate and.... well tells you when you might need your brolly!!

Finally.... One of my favourites, I can highly recommend FIZZ TRAVELLER (www.fizzsoftware.com) not only do you get an excellent weather section you get world time, currency conversion and itinerary planning. Just released for the PPC and is a top app on a Smartphone.

Jereboam
04-24-2005, 11:15 AM
WeatherPanel gives you the option to update without updating radar images for that very reason...

By the way mate, go the Tigers!! Hope they kick Toulouse arse and keep an English team in the final.

J'bm

apprentice
04-24-2005, 08:05 PM
Thanks! (How did you know I was a Leicester Tigers fan) :roll: They will kick ass and they will shine mate!

Jereboam
04-24-2005, 08:29 PM
A blind TJ watching another match could have told you that pass was forward, and they had a try off it. And where was the ref?

Thought you played damn well and the result was a little harsh. Despite commentary to the contrary I don't think that Toulouse was the better team in any obvious way...

Next season then. But of course that's only if you get past my boys, the indomitable Wasps...

;)

J'bm